Bar Box Inherent Problems

98falstaff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As RKC has and does point out, the slate on bar boxes is supported mostly by the rail caps causing the rails to eventually dip down out of square and letting the cushion height decrease causing ball hop and other problems. My question is, why haven't the manufacturers adressed this problem? Not counting Diamond, it seems it would be easy to build and design better slate supports for the Valley, Dynamo, and Global type tables. It would be a huge selling point as well. Any input? Thanks, just askin'.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As RKC has and does point out, the slate on bar boxes is supported mostly by the rail caps causing the rails to eventually dip down out of square and letting the cushion height decrease causing ball hop and other problems. My question is, why haven't the manufacturers adressed this problem? Not counting Diamond, it seems it would be easy to build and design better slate supports for the Valley, Dynamo, and Global type tables. It would be a huge selling point as well. Any input? Thanks, just askin'.

Never going to happen...as the saying goes, if it's not broke, why fix it:grin:

98falstaff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if it really is broke? Why wouldn't some bar box, industry standard company be aware of this problem and be the first to install struts or gussets around the perimiter of the slate? A Dynamo Super Duty or whatever. I don't think it would take much wood, engineering, or time to accomplish this and keep the upgrade costs minimal. I like a good bar box. You can tune one up and all but they should be built to last from the factory. I have an 8' Global that the rail caps turn in some. I don't like the idea of having to shim up the rails with a strip of cloth at the bottom. It defeats the purpose of the center ridge of my custom made Ridge back rails. Hell, I'll build my own gussets. Sorry to get off track. I'm just saying, it would be nice. Why haven't they evolved around this problem?
Diamond tables are excluded in this question. I think they have it figured out.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What if it really is broke? Why wouldn't some bar box, industry standard company be aware of this problem and be the first to install struts or gussets around the perimiter of the slate? A Dynamo Super Duty or whatever. I don't think it would take much wood, engineering, or time to accomplish this and keep the upgrade costs minimal. I like a good bar box. You can tune one up and all but they should be built to last from the factory. I have an 8' Global that the rail caps turn in some. I don't like the idea of having to shim up the rails with a strip of cloth at the bottom. It defeats the purpose of the center ridge of my custom made Ridge back rails. Hell, I'll build my own gussets. Sorry to get off track. I'm just saying, it would be nice. Why haven't they evolved around this problem?
Diamond tables are excluded in this question. I think they have it figured out.

What makes Diamond tables different, is that their rails bolt through the slate, therefore they can't drop any at all, whereas the rest of the coin-op industry is using undersized slates that sit inside the body of the table, and the rail caps are mounted to the side panels of the body and rely on the crossmembers to keep the rail caps square to the slate...as you already know...that don't work, but still....they're not going to change, because that would require a complete overhaul of their existing tables;)