Basement humidity?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Last week we finally got a good dumping of rain, at leadt a couple inches.

The last two days we've had steady non-stop rain.

Last couple days it seems my miscues are up bigly.

When I look at my tip after the chalk is wiped clean off the tip in that miscue spot.

I can easily see chalk absorbing moisture and possibly affecting the chalk.

I also thought about my tip being leather and being affected and possibly complicated by damp chalk.

What's your thoughts? Anyone else already seen this?

Yes, I know, a dehumidifier. My dehumidifier works great, I stopped using it though because it didn't drop the humidity level in the basement.

I'm currently at 77% humidity.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dehumidifiers are used to drop the humidity. If yours isn't dropping the humidity in the room, how do you know it works great? I have a Fujitsu mini split running plus a dehumidifier going. My humidity level would be up around yours also if I wasn't running anything. Currently my humidity level is 35% and I can get it to drop even more if needed. This is the dehumidifier I've been using the past year and it does what it's suppose to do. https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...-with-Handle-Dehumidifier-UD701KOG3/300773708

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you're in the Chicago area lol
Last week we had a deluge and this week it's rained for like 3 days straight . again. ugh.
It always gets like this around Halloween.

Anyhoo. Yes obviously the humidity in the basement is gonna rise, you can "fix it" or not, that's up to you and your comfort level.

The important thing is - you do want to keep whatever level you choose as consistent as possible .

Wood, moreso than just about anything in your house , will always respond to humidity in the form of shrinking and swelling etc, which is clearly detrimental to the longevity and quality of anything made from it.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'm currently at 77% humidity.

If your at 77% it is NOT working. In fact, I'd say you might need 2 of them. I got 2 working full time. I set the auto level and that's what the basement stays at, a nice 35%.

In winter, they won't turn on much, if at all.

One is just not enough in a large finished basement. And if it is not finished you might need even more.... not to only protect your pool table, but to protect the floors above the basement... especially if you have hard wood floors.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I'd track the humidity over time and see how it varies. Check a few times a day for a month or so. Record the results and see. Depending on where you are, you can most likely expect the humidity to drop in the winter months we are heading into now. Once you know what's really going on, you can take measures to get things the way you want. That being said, going other places will result in a whole new environment to get used to.