Do you tip tournament directors? If so, how much?

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if you tip and if so, how much? Generally, when I place and get a payout I will tip $10-$20 to the tournament director. Obviously, it depends how much my winnings actually are. But generally, If I win $80-$200 in a weekly tournament, this is my normal tip.

What about you?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if you tip and if so, how much? Generally, when I place and get a payout I will tip $10-$20 to the tournament director. Obviously, it depends how much my winnings actually are. But generally, If I win $80-$200 in a weekly tournament, this is my normal tip.

What about you?
Never have. Never thought of it actually.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider my income vs what I think their income is and go from there. I'm not in the $ very often so my real answer would be no.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
To my knowledge, it has never come up in my hall, here in Ontario. The tournament director is almost exclusively owner, and we regulars always tip when we cash out for the night. A few times a year they have a tournament for one of the leagues, and that is when the director is someone other than the owner. That league rotates their tournaments around the different halls.

typically, if one of the regulars ends up wining, and the cash is in the 100s, they usually buy a round for the other regulars. there is usually up to 5 of us that end up with a drink. if it is a small pay out, then it is just pocketed by the winner.

I don't play many tournaments, and I make the money rounds even less. I might get a free drink every once in a while though ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren was the best tipper during my time as a TD. I put tens of thousands of U.S. dollars in his hands over the years! Only a handful of top players ever thought to do that for a well run event. If I got a thank you or two I was happy.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Never entered my mind either. I know most TDs in my area get free entry into the tournament and the bar usually hooks them up.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to run tournaments and ran well over 300-400 bar table tournaments. My only pay was that the owner would pay for my entry into the tournament. And a beer if I wanted it, which I usually did.

I can count the number of times I was tipped on 1 finger. :)

But I wasn't in it for the money, I was in it for the tournaments and I enjoyed it. I was never expecting tips but appreciated the one I got. That was also a long time ago and I don't think anyone ever thought to tip the TD.

Now I'm in a completely different place financially and so now I tip generously. One small tournament I always do well in the TD is the bartender and plays in it. I usually tip her roughly half of whatever I win. Up to about $30. So if I get $20 for 3rd she gets $10. If I get 80 for first she gets 30. (I take out my entry if I win.) Once she had a second TD so I tipped them each 20 when I won.

I actually play better if I feel like I'm playing for someone else who needs money so I use that as motivation.

I don't think everyone should tip that way or that it should be the standard. I don't donate to charity so I try to make up for it by tipping generously to people who facilitate doing what I like to do. So waiters, golf caddies, pool TDs, etc all get a little extra from me.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never thought of it myself. To some though, it could be considered a conflict of interest. There is probably some less then ethical tournament directors that would give lenient rulings to his better tippers.

Not saying this is specific to anyone, but a hypothetical.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never thought of it myself. To some though, it could be considered a conflict of interest. There is probably some less then ethical tournament directors that would give lenient rulings to his better tippers.

Not saying this is specific to anyone, but a hypothetical.

Well, you can say it now.

Ive witnessed some very bad calls based on the favored player being a "big tipper" when he wins.

Sad yes, but true.

Jeff

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tipped a TD after a winning bar table tourney to leave the coin-op table unlocked so we could gamble afterwards.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for a few years in NYC at one of the regional tournaments there that runs year round- not going to say the name- but I did place second and third three times and I was told by others that it was customary to tip the TD- so I did- I gave 10% of my winnings each time - between $30 and $60 each time in tips. I had no problem with giving up the $- but I thought it was wrong- so if you don't tip- would a close call go against you; or you get moved up in rank ? I wondered why some guys cashed in a lot and never seemed to get moved up- they must have been big tippers! I think the concept is really Wrong!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel there's a better way for the tournament director to get paid a little bit for his efforts. Everybody put a few bucks into a kitty. Just like when you have to pay green fees. It's paid up front, it's fair, and nobody can be perceived as buying their way to a win, or a favorable ruling. And if I'm not mistaken, that's how most tournament directors get compensated for their efforts anyway. It comes out of part of the entry fee.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel there's a better way for the tournament director to get paid a little bit for his efforts. Everybody put a few bucks into a kitty. Just like when you have to pay green fees. It's paid up front, it's fair, and nobody can be perceived as buying their way to a win, or a favorable ruling.
All of our local events charge a green fee. TD gets part of that. Simple and no hinky s^*t.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 23+ years of running our weekly and our occasional bigger tournaments, only one player has ever tipped me as the TD, after he won our tournament. He was/is a fellow room owner / TD. After the second time he did it, I told him it was greatly appreciated, but that I would prefer he not continue to do it, and he hasn’t. It is/was an extremely nice gesture on his part. He’s regarded as one of the best if not the very best player, And I know for a fact that he would never do it to receive favorable calls.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duplicate post - sorry! In 23+ years of running our weekly and our occasional bigger tournaments, only one player has ever tipped me as the TD, after he won our tournament. He was/is a fellow room owner / TD. After the second time he did it, I told him it was greatly appreciated, but that I would prefer he not continue to do it, and he hasn’t. It is/was an extremely nice gesture on his part.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always tipped if i cashed well- I never did it for this reason but I'll bet your handicap isnt upped as quickly as the stiffs in such events..

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 23+ years of running our weekly and our occasional bigger tournaments, only one player has ever tipped me as the TD, after he won our tournament. He was/is a fellow room owner / TD. After the second time he did it, I told him it was greatly appreciated, but that I would prefer he not continue to do it, and he hasn’t. It is/was an extremely nice gesture on his part. He’s regarded as one of the best if not the very best player, And I know for a fact that he would never do it to receive favorable calls.

Oh man, I didn't even think of the conflict of interest angle.