The existence of a women division in some tournaments

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Why does it exist?

It is easy to understand for physical sports, such as hockey, but why does it exist in billiards? As far as I know, women can perform just as well as men. Is it tradition? If so, it seems kinda weird carrying it on.

Is there something I am missing?

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here-we-go.png

And here we go!

ktrepal85

Banned
I've thought about this too...it makes no sense. Unless women are admitting that they just aren't as good at things.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
This will be our monthly thread of a bunch of men talking about how men are better than women.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

But recent history has shown that women have a far better chance at ESPN coverage than men do. That's reason enough for them to have their own league/tour.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are there ANY women's tours/divisions ? My guess is because the women want a women's only division. If the demand wasn't there, they wouldn't have them.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been around here for long. I'm guessing this is a bad question to ask for some reason?

No worries, just gets brought up once a month or so. When I first joined I asked a bunch of questions in regards to "is it harder to play snooker than pool" and associated questions because I stumbled upon Ronnie osullivan for the first time, and got a similar response as to what I gave you.

Welcome to the forum, first of all. Second, I think the most common answers to your question are 1) guys have a large advantage (particularly in rotation games) when it comes to breaking. 2) guys in general tend to be more competitive and tend to have more athletic tendencies on average. Again, Karen corr, Allison F, and many other women are obviously outstanding players and can hold their own in their prime against many top players, but just in general men seem to have an edge when it comes to most athletic/sporting competitions. 3) like someone posted earlier, there is demand for them, you're more likely to get women to enter a women's only event than a straight open event.

liakos

Banned
Why does it exist?

It is easy to understand for physical sports, such as hockey, but why does it exist in billiards? As far as I know, women can perform just as well as men. Is it tradition? If so, it seems kinda weird carrying it on.

Is there something I am missing?

The only thing your missing is your lack of knowledge about the agenda!

Everything evolves around certain agendas. Normally, they take women C players and put them in an A category for women! B level will be semi pros, and A level will be world pro status.

Why??? I don't know and I don't care! I just play pool because I love the sport. I'm starting to get away from the talk because if you make comments that go against the agenda, you're considered an asshole!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been around here for long. I'm guessing this is a bad question to ask for some reason?

"bad", repeated 20 times, all the same LOL. You just joined but we can help you clear up your next few posts.

"what tip is best or what do you use?"
"what chalk is best"
"what cue is best"
"custom cue vs production cue"
"LD shaft or regular shaft" or "Why LD shafts suck" or "Why do regular shafts suck"
"___ insert league here ____ is the worst"
"sandbaggers"

I think that should just about cover things, just pretend you posted those topics already and skip over them. If you are curious, check some searches for those topics.

Of course without those being repeated over every few weeks there will be a lot less chat on here, just expect half the post to be something like "oh no, not again!".

Last edited:

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
"bad", repeated 20 times, all the same LOL. You just joined but we can help you clear up your next few posts.

"what chalk is best"
"what cue is best"
"LD shaft or regular shaft" or "Why LD shafts suck" or "Why do regular shafts suck"
"sandbaggers"

I think that should just about cover things, just pretend you posted those topics already and skip over them. If you are curious, check some searches for those topics.

Of course without those being repeated over every few weeks there will be a lot less chat on here, just expect half the post to be something like "oh no, not again!".

Well aren't you the helpful lad. /s

To illustrate the ridicule of your answer a bit more, those are all questions which you can find a decent answer within 10 minutes on Google. The best answer I could find regarding my question was what drv4 said and the other came from a thread from a random forum back in 2000 saying it had to do with media coverage, but that was said out of thin air.

The other threads on this forum about this topic are mostly constitued of people saying how tired they are of that question or how stupid the consideration of male playing with female is. Not really helpful.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well aren't you the helpful lad. /s

To illustrate the ridicule of your answer a bit more, those are all questions which you can find a decent answer within 10 minutes on Google. The best answer I could find regarding my question was what drv4 said and the other came from a thread from a random forum back in 2000 saying it had to do with media coverage, but that was said out of thin air.

The other threads on this forum about this topic are mostly constitued of people saying how tired they are of that question or how stupid the consideration of male playing with female is. Not really helpful.

Odd, your /s messed up the post but not the reply.

If you look in those other threads, you will see other replies other than "this is a question asked many times before". There will be no new info on this topic all of a sudden I can assure you. It's the same reason, no-one is quite sure why women can't play pool as well as men, but they don't. There are many small reasons why not which probably add up to an overall reason, from their brains don't process visual info the same way, they are not aggressive enough to want to win that bad, they don't play enough due to it being a rude man's game, several others. All info already out there.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.

But recent history has shown that women have a far better chance at ESPN coverage than men do. That's reason enough for them to have their own league/tour.

Excellent answer bdorman!
It's not whether the women are just as good as the men, it's how can we promote
our sport for the better?

It's foresight like this: creating a different division for the women,
which by definition helps to define the product better,
(and, yes, women playing women is different than women playing men), then so be it.

Hate to say it, but sex still sells, folks.
If you thinks that's a sexist rant, then you don't understand marketing.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"what chalk is best"
"what cue is best"
"sandbaggers"

Is it possible women do not usually compete against men because they don't know which is the best tip, best chalk,whether to use a production cue or a custom cue,or if they should use a LD shaft or regular shaft.

liakos

Banned
Is it possible women do not usually compete against men because they don't know which is the best tip, best chalk,whether to use a production cue or a custom cue,or if they should use a LD shaft or regular shaft.

Women don't have the "kill" in them! There emotions get the best of them. They just don't have it. This is not to belittle women in any way, it's just human nature!

What they need to do is to come to this realization and try to do something with the sport. That being said, let's be honest, sex sells! Hot chicks playing pool is an attention grabber. We all know that!

Need to get "hot" women that can play B+ level minimum. That means they can beat me even 80% of the time. Now, find those women, maybe 16 of them, and you can get a traveling tourney that can tour the country and can make something happen for pool.

Yes it is a little sleazy, but think about it, would you make time to check out "the black widow"! Let's face it, she's hot, she knows it, AND she can play some!

Unfortunately, there aren't any "hot" chicks that play in my area at a respectable level to consider!

I've been saying this since day one, players need to learn how to sell themselves! Men AND women! But it a gonna happen because the light at the end of the tunnel is to dim to them.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
The men would be happy to have the women play I think for the most part but there is only a small handful of women who are happy to play with the men. Participation by women in a truly open event is very minimal so a separate division is needed. That is my best answer for this. :cool:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Women don't have the "kill" in them! There emotions get the best of them. They just don't have it. This is not to belittle women in any way, it's just human nature!

What they need to do is to come to this realization and try to do something with the sport. That being said, let's be honest, sex sells! Hot chicks playing pool is an attention grabber. We all know that!

Need to get "hot" women that can play B+ level minimum. That means they can beat me even 80% of the time. Now, find those women, maybe 16 of them, and you can get a traveling tourney that can tour the country and can make something happen for pool.

Yes it is a little sleazy, but think about it, would you make time to check out "the black widow"! Let's face it, she's hot, she knows it, AND she can play some!

Unfortunately, there aren't any "hot" chicks that play in my area at a respectable level to consider!

I've been saying this since day one, players need to learn how to sell themselves! Men AND women! But it a gonna happen because the light at the end of the tunnel is to dim to them.
Chauvinism is alive and well!

liakos

Banned
Chauvinism is alive and well!

Call it what you will, but sex sells!

I don't consider myself a male chauvinist! I say sell want your able to sell as long as you're not hurting yourself or others in the process! Although at the beginning of me reading your post I was a little upset you would call me that, I realized fairly quickly you missed the point of my post.

For the record, women are not inferior to men and men are not inferior to women! Can a women be as strong as men? Mostly NO! Can men give birth to a child? NO!

We all have our similarities and differences! I guess some people understand and some people don't!

Eli

2strong4u

Banned
Call it what you will, but sex sells!

I don't consider myself a male chauvinist! I say sell want your able to sell as long as you're not hurting yourself or others in the process! Although at the beginning of me reading your post I was a little upset you would call me that, I realized fairly quickly you missed the point of my post.

For the record, women are not inferior to men and men are not inferior to women! Can a women be as strong as men? Mostly NO! Can men give birth to a child? NO!

We all have our similarities and differences! I guess some people understand and some people don't!

Eli

You had better clean up your signature line or you are going to get tossed.