Great White Chalk is the nuts!!

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I just got a shipment of Chris Refro's New Great White Chalk from Outsville.com here on AZ. I want to tell you I was very interested (but sceptical) in how this would perform. You see I've been a Magic chalk kinda guy for the past 4 years (and have 30+ boxes to spare.) I've play now over an hour with this- putting it thru it paces- and I love this stuff. You can feel the grip on the CB better than anything I've tried. Its a little tacker than Master, Blue Diamond, Magic chalk but nothing like Kamui and goes on with ease.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I've just been introduced to this next generation of Custom equipment with this Great White chalk. No CB bruising, no cloth stains, no blue hands/finger nails etc And... NO BLUE SHAFT.. This stuff miscues Less than Magic Chalk... I'm sure of it. It can't wait to see the side by side comparisons. I think it would be advisable to have a look at this if your a serious player. No Really. I've play pool over 30 years and this Great White Chalk, imo is the best of the whole lot.

Congratulations Chris... I hope you ordered enough Labels.

Randy

edit day 2:played another 4 hours... chalk is out of the sealed baggy for 48 hours.. it's definitely drying out a bit. Its more flaky (lighter) in character and now is definitely "printing the CB" ie white bruises. This different than the 1st 24hrs. I find that this is less distracting than blue bruises though fwiw... but I still have to remove the white chalk off of whitey after 3-4 games. Also extreme english and shooting off of the rail (CB on the rail) requires more attention to avoid miscue than it did yesterday when the chalk was fresh. This also may be from tip wear (Ki-tech Med) I've been pounding some ball and or personal fatigue. We'll see over the week if this drying out continues. I wonder if a drop of water in the zip lock baggy would freshen it back to new feeling... hmmm after this week I'll test to see if this technique might be an adjunct to consider. For now more pool fun.

Ok edit day 3:
Its definately drying out.. I play one pocket (ie shoot off of the rail a lot) and my for quality gripping power test is being able to cue (with spin) softly while shooting of the rail. This requires a no miscue while shooting off line from CCB while whitey is parked froze to the rail. This is extreme english when off CCB shooting off of the rail while shooting a soft tweeking stroke shot. This is why I love Magic Chalk so much. It preforms under these recurring situations WITH OUT FAIL. And you really don't have to spend much time re chalking (every 3 -5 shots) to shoot this type of shot. It simply grips the CB. Now when I first started playing with the Great White chalk it had these characteristics when is was less dry. Now with it being more dry, I'm having trouble getting the Great White chalk to pass my rail test. I thought it was my tip characteristics (balding/glazing) so I shaped it back up on my lathe (with knap etc) and tried the extreme english rail shots for another 15 minutes or so with no appreciable change for the better. ie Miscued a lot with this touchy shot at any speed. I found I was trying to apply the Great white chalk multiple times now that is was dry with most of the chalk turning to powder and headed to the floor. This was not the case when I first opened the packaging. To prove this, I opened another new package of 'Creamy Great White' applied it and did the same rail test and it worked as it did on the first day of the previous sample. So... fwiw, I'm gunna have to pull back on my original thoughts of it being the NUTS until the carrier/ fillers has the creamy consistency as it does when its new. So in summery now after 3 days of drying out its usable if your are a CCB only (+- 1/2 tip) kinda player imo. I ended up removing the Great White off of my 2 identical cues (with ki-tech mediums on Mezz WX900's) and went back to the Magic Chalk and I felt very much at home again performing the rail shots with extreme english using soft thru fast speeds shots with out fail (no miscues). I wish there was a way that Great White would maintain its NEW Creamy character because I know Pool players will just throw it in the case (and dry it out) like we do with every other brand (including Magic Chalk). IMO I think if this issue gets resolved Chris will have a gem. For now, for me, I back to using my solid staple Magic chalk... its track record is stellar.

Best of luck Chris,

See you DCC.

Randy

Last edited:

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great News!

I am very glad to read this. I can only hope that this AMERICAN made chalk takes off and the owner(s) make millions someday. I just happen to be one of those Americans who roots for the people to do WELL in this country.

If this chalk is better than Magic Chalk, that must be some great stuff. Magic Chalk is the best I have ever used to date. I should order some for myself and try it out. One part of this I really like is it is WHITE! Wouldn't that be a great paradigm shift for this sport eventually? All white chalk that no longer is such a bother. Not that blue is a big deal, but for shaft cleanliness and tables, it may be well worth it.

Regardless, I wish this venture to be filled with greatness. Well done. :)

Dr. Dave should get a cube of this stuff and test it out. Then we would have a better idea how it performs.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I like to play with a hard tip but it is difficult to get chalk to cover the tip consistently, its like the tip is always glazed. I can cure this with my tip scuffer/shaper but then I wear the tips down too fast. I can also cure it my Kamui Gator Grip but it takes longer and sometimes I am too lazy. Will the Great White Chalk help me with this? I currently use either Master or NIR.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I just got a shipment of Chris Refro's New Great White Chalk from Outsville.com here on AZ. I want to tell you I was very interested (but sceptical) in how this would perform. You see I've been a Magic chalk kinda guy for the past 4 years (and have 30+ boxes to spare.) I've play now over an hour with this- putting it thru it paces- and I love this stuff. You can feel the grip on the CB better than anything I've tried. Its a little tacker than Master, Blue Diamond, Magic chalk but nothing like Kamui and goes on with ease.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I've just been introduced to this next generation of Custom equipment with this Great White chalk. No CB bruising, no cloth stains, no blue hands/finger nails etc And... NO BLUE SHAFT.. This stuff miscues Less than Magic Chalk... I'm sure of it. It can't wait to see the side by side comparisons. I think it would be advisable to have a look at this if your a serious player. No Really. I've play pool over 30 years and this Great White Chalk, imo is the best of the whole lot.

Randy

Why do you like it vs Kamui?

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Does it stick to the cueball from your shots? I know i was using NIR chalk for a while at home but I noticed that the cueball was getting more chalk residue on it. Started getting alot of skids so I went back to masters. Still like the NIR in my case though. Its useful for those situations when you really got to try to put some mustard on the shot. My buddy who likes to play with a hard tip also loves the NIR because it doesnt miscue.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got my shipment as well. Played with it for about an hour so it is difficult to give it a full and fair assessment. It's cold and dry here as well, I suspect the chalk will get better as it has had a chance to stabilize a bit.

With that said, the chalk goes onto the tip quite easily and completely. I used it on the phenolic break tip and Ki-Tech Soft playing tip. I didn't run any endurance test as chalking the cue tip has become part of my PSR. The Great White seems very smooth, consistent and fine. I had no miscues during the time I played with it.

Great White seems to be a nice balance between the traditional chalks such as Masters, Blue Diamond and Magic versus Kamui. It goes on easier and smoother than the traditional chalks but doesn't appear to make a mess and leave residue on the CB like Kamui does. The clip and magnet are a nice additional as well, the magnet is quite powerful.

I'll post again in a couple of weeks after I've put in more table time with this chalk. Initial impressions are very, very positive however.

I also purchased a few of the Outsville racks. Used the new version of the 9 ball for about an hour as I was playing the ghost. No problem getting a nice, even, tight rack. Was consistently making the wing ball on the side I was breaking from. Perhaps it was just me but it did seem like the balls were kind of exploding outward and tended to end up on the rails a bit. Perhaps I needed to either break a little harder or a little softer. Any way you cut it, the new 9 ball rack is an improvement.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
We are sold out at the moment... Will do a run in preparation for Derby but my assistant / better half is on strike until we get the production molds in from the machine shop... We did the short run using our R&D molds and the man hours to process it coupled with the plethara of bits destroyed makes me not so sure it was profitable LOL....

As far as tips glazing... That actually is just the top of the tip burnishing like you do to the sides when it's installed..... Harder tips tend to be more prone to glazing but I have seen some tips that were treated glaze regardless of hardness... The 2 things you can do to combat the problem both relate to chalk... Buy a quality chalk and make using it part of your reshot routine....

The "Great White" has the same abrasive size and content as Kamui... Balabushka has larger abrasives than any other chalk on the market but less in quantity than Kamui and Blue Diamond, Predator and Magic Chalk all fall really close together as far as size and content with Magic Chalks appearing to be on the higher end of the 3.... All of these are superior to the tried and true masters, Silver Cup and Triangle.... The old brands have been in use for years and work fairly well... 99% of the time those chalks will perform the assigned task of providing friction... When they slip you will get a misscue or a partial misscue.. Regardless of some opinions there are partial misscues.. These happen when the chalk grips the ball and during the compression and rebound phases the friction isn't enough to keep the tip on the cueball until the tip has finished the rebound cycle... If it happens early you have a full misscue if it happens later in the cycle you get a partial... The hit will have a different sound and you won't get the amount of english expected... You will also be glazing the top of your tip.... Since the old chalk has more filler and ungraded abrasives slips are more common using them.....

The newer chalks will also slip if you continue to shoot shots without chalking up... The issue is the abrasives stack on the tip and they are ruptile... The abrasives are actually harder than the balls so the imact with the ball is not what ruptures the chalk it's the abrasives above and below and the pressure created at impact that causes the abrasives to rupture those above and below... Over the course of a number of shots the abrasives continue to rupture until you will get to a point that even tho they are sharp they are just too small to grab the cueball.. You will start to have some slippage and eventually misscue... You can actually hear the change in the sound of the hit... I have analyzed a bunch of contact sound waves as this point and you can see the differences in the quality of the connection..

Chris

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do we order some? Figured I just bought some Magic chalk to try now I need to try this. I've been using blue diamond and Pre flag masters (which I have enough of that to last a LONG time)

I am very glad to read this. I can only hope that this AMERICAN made chalk takes off and the owner(s) make millions someday. I just happen to be one of those Americans who roots for the people to do WELL in this country.

If this chalk is better than Magic Chalk, that must be some great stuff. Magic Chalk is the best I have ever used to date. I should order some for myself and try it out. One part of this I really like is it is WHITE! Wouldn't that be a great paradigm shift for this sport eventually? All white chalk that no longer is such a bother. Not that blue is a big deal, but for shaft cleanliness and tables, it may be well worth it.

Regardless, I wish this venture to be filled with greatness. Well done. :)

Dr. Dave should get a cube of this stuff and test it out. Then we would have a better idea how it performs.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
How do we order some? Figured I just bought some Magic chalk to try now I need to try this. I've been using blue diamond and Pre flag masters (which I have enough of that to last a LONG time)

Will post on here when it's back in the store... Not sure when that will be but the Holiday Season is about to be upon us so I don't expect it to be sooner rather than later....

Chris

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Local boy does good. Right on. I am glad that this has worked for Chris in more ways than one.

Not the main reason but am also happy that maybe his new invention will put an end to Kamui's price gouging.

I wouldn't purchase Kamui, even if it were the same as what Chris is charging.

Pretty sure that this will end up clipping Kamui's wings just a tad.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wrf? I ordered mine the day they came out. Even with the money holder thing. When do I get it?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
wrf? I ordered mine the day they came out. Even with the money holder thing. When do I get it?

Your's shipped same day as everyone else... Check your emial as you should have a tracking number... If not let me know and I will look it up....

Chris

Actually just looked and tracking says you should get it tomorrow =D

Last edited:

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your's shipped same day as everyone else... Check your emial as you should have a tracking number... If not let me know and I will look it up....

Chris

Actually just looked and tracking says you should get it tomorrow =D

Thanks Chris you da man ! I love your tips and have really been excited to try your chalk ! Sorry if I came across in a bad way. I'm sure I'll love it.... merry xmas bud.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edit original post

Randy

edit day 2:played another 4 hours... chalk is out of the sealed baggy for 48 hours.. it's definitely drying out a bit. Its more flaky (lighter) in character and now is definitely "printing the CB" ie white bruises. This different than the 1st 24hrs. I find that this is less distracting than blue bruises though fwiw... but I still have to remove the white chalk off of whitey after 3-4 games. Also extreme english and shooting off of the rail (CB on the rail) requires more attention to avoid miscue than it did yesterday when the chalk was fresh. This also may be from tip wear (Ki-tech Med) I've been pounding some ball and or personal fatigue. We'll see over the week if this drying out continues. I wonder if a drop of water in the zip lock baggy would freshen it back to new feeling... hmmm after this week I'll test to see if this technique might be an adjunct to consider. For now more pool fun.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
received y pack of 3 cubes but my wife absconded mine as a xmas present. I did not even get to see it! so I can not post any assessment until 12/26/2014!!!!!!! :sorry:

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok... edit day 3:
Its definately drying out.. I play one pocket (ie shoot off of the rail a lot) and my for quality gripping power test is being able to cue (with spin) softly while shooting of the rail. This requires a no miscue while shooting off line from CCB while whitey is parked froze to the rail. This is extreme english when shooting off CCB shooting off of the rail while shooting a soft tweaking stroke shot. This is why I love Magic Chalk so much. It preforms under these recurring situations WITH OUT FAIL. And you really don't have to spend much time re chalking (every 3 -5 shots) to shoot this type of shot. It simply grips the CB. Now when I first started playing with the Great White chalk it had these characteristics when is was less dry. Now with it being more dry, I'm having trouble getting the Great White chalk to pass my rail test. I thought it was my tip characteristics (balding/glazing) so I shaped it back up on my lathe (with knap etc) and tried the extreme english rail shots for another 15 minutes or so with no appreciable change for the better. ie Miscued a lot with this touchy shot at any speed. I found I was trying to apply the Great white chalk multiple times now that is was dry with most of the chalk turning to powder and headed to the floor. This was not the case when I first opened the packaging. To prove this, I opened another new package of 'Creamy Great White' applied it and did the same rail test and it worked as it did on the first day of the previous sample. So... fwiw, I'm gunna have to pull back on my original thoughts of it being the NUTS until the carrier/ fillers has the creamy consistency as it does when its new. So in summery now after 3 days of drying out its usable if your are a CCB only (+- 1/2 tip) kinda player imo. I ended up removing the Great White off of my 2 identical cues (with ki-tech mediums on Mezz WX900's) and went back to the Magic Chalk and I felt very much at home again performing the rail shots with extreme english using soft thru fast speeds shots with out fail (no miscues). I wish there was a way that Great White would maintain its NEW Creamy character because I know Pool players will just throw it in the case (and dry it out) like we do with every other brand (including Magic Chalk). IMO I think if this issue gets resolved Chris will have a gem. For now, for me, I back to using my solid staple Magic chalk... its track record is stellar.

Best of luck Chris,

See you DCC.

Randy

Reactions: KRJ

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it out yesterday for about 10 minutes, just banging some around. Very grippy allowing excellent cue ball control and spin. The white shows up much more on the blue Simonis and does leave some on the cue ball similar to other chalk. Will give it a better workout this weekend.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it out yesterday for about 10 minutes, just banging some around. Very grippy allowing excellent cue ball control and spin. The white shows up much more on the blue Simonis and does leave some on the cue ball similar to other chalk. Will give it a better workout this weekend.

Cheating, sir.