Fat Cues, Skinny Cues, Woods, Feel, and Hit

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been reading some posts about fat cues, skinny cues, woods, etc. and it brought a question to my mind that maybe one of the cue makers could shed some light on.

ASSUMING, you made two cues of the same overall weight, length, joints, ferrules, shaft taper, etc., but the only difference was the wood and "diameter" of the butt, how much "differently" (if any) would the hit and feel of the cue be?

For example: You made a fat butt with lighter wood and a skinny butt with heavier wood and the cues both were 58" and 19 ounces with the same shafts on each cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is so many nuances that\s not covered in your question.
But if you where to make two cues that where both identical in all respects, excepts for the bigger butt diameter, so say .840" to 1.240" and one cue .840" to 1.300" I don\t think there would be a huge difference, apart from the bigger diameter handle. Once you start using different woods, things will change, it also depends on if the wood is cored or not, what core diameter, core wood, glue etc.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
First off one thing to consider is any type of Wood say Birdeye Maple as an example is like a fingerprint, no two pieces of the same dimension are alike.

Reason are:

Tree they came from.

Age of Tree before harvested.

Climate, Region, Soil, and Region of the World the Tree Grew.

Wood is not like say 440 Stainless, produced in same plant, it not a man made product where quality control able to provide consistancy.

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
First off one thing to consider is any type of Wood say Birdeye Maple as an example is like a fingerprint, no two pieces of the same dimension are alike.

Reason are:

Tree they came from.

Age of Tree before harvested.

Climate, Region, Soil, and Region of the World the Tree Grew.

Wood is not like say 440 Stainless, produced in same plant, it not a man made product where quality control able to provide consistancy.[/QU
Exactly right. Very hard to get the same hit. but could be close.