To crate or not, and how to haul

vikingpitbull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off this is going to end up being a rambling post, and I'm sure it has been asked before, but here goes.

Should I crate my slate to move it about 400 miles or is there another way? I was quoted $275 to crate them. Hard to build for me not being there to get size. I was told they are 4'9 x 30.5 does that sound correct? I don't want to build them then get there and be the wrong size. Is it needed to crate them? What is the best way to transport slate if I don't crate them? I'm going to rent a 9' U-haul Cargo van so its enclosed vs a regular full size pick up. That will be big enough wont it? Here are the dimensions of the van

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Cargo-Van-Rental/BE/

What is the best way to haul the slate on edge, flat, on skid, 2x4 spacers, wrapped with blankets stacked together etc etc. I have read so many different ways to do it I now have doubts about them all.

Also best way to block it so it doesn't move. I'm not sure what U-haul vans are equipped with. Also do you rest anything on top of them like the frame to prevent them from bouncing up, and down or do you not want to stack on top of them.

What dimensions are 9' table frames, and slates? I have not gotten the info on the frame, and he thought the slates are 4'9 x 30.5. That didn't sound right to me?

It sounds wrong for 8 or 9 foot tables.

Its a AMF Grand Prix

Thanks for any help.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
9fts are 57" by 35 5/8ths" three pieces, thickness varies, but those are 1 1/16ths I believe plus the backing thickness.

vikingpitbull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response RKC. He claims they are 57 by 30.5. I'm about 400 miles away from the table so all my info comes from what he claims. How many different sizes did the Grand Prix come in, and what size would that be? It doesn't fit either or 8 or 9. Did they make an over sized 8?

I don't care if its 8 or 9 just cant grasp the size for either size unless he measured wrong. Also an old AMF AD had the GP as a 44 x 88 playing surface. Do you know what years, and what sizes they produced?

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crates

Unless some body else is moving the slates, I wouldn't build crates. I would how ever try to get the next size up of van. I would build a rack with 2x4's two on bottom turned on edge, with risers screwed into them so the slates will fit snugly on edge. Then more 2x4's along the top to prevent the weight of the slate from moving the vertical risers. Also have plenty of moving blankets and bike straps and rope. To tie stuff down or against the wall. Sorry for the crude sketch, it really should be turned 45 degrees clockwise.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/10ft-Moving-Truck-Rental/TM/

Last edited:

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a table mechanic and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but I just stacked my slate flat on top of each other. It was a Brunswick 9ft. anniversary with wood backing on the slates. I layed a moving blanket between the slates and they didn't move a bit in our 350 mile trip (unstrapped). I brought the table home in the back of an astro van with all the rear seats removed. The 9ft. cargo van your looking at is plenty big. Me and one other guy carried the slates upstairs out of the basement and they were heavy to say the least. Hats off to all of you guys doing this for a living:thumbup: Anyway...as long as they have the wood backing you should be fine stacking them. I was afraid to stand them on end for fear they might come crashing down and break, plus ruin the rest of my table parts piled all around them. I wouldnt overthink it just rent plenty of moving blankets to keep all of your rails and aprons from getting scratched.

Good Luck,

Dean

Last edited:

vikingpitbull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I went with a transporter instead. By the time I figured in a uhaul, gas food, and the mileage/rental, and 10 total hours of drive time along with loading, and unloading, and getting the needed supplies I don't have now. I would have paid more to go get it myself. The table was torn down about three months ago by a table dealer so I wouldn't have been able to tell much about it.

The transportation co will take pictures, and record any damage, and if anything is broken they will call me to see what I want done. Also they are fronting the money to pay for the table from the seller I bought it from. I will pay them only after it is in my home.

If everything goes right I will let people know who they are, and how good of a job they did. I will have pictures as well.