2019 ACUI Collegiate National Championships Underway

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not been involved helping ACUI with these the past two years, but it still excites me none the less. I don’t have many details on this year’s event except, the tournament is hosted by the University of Illinois.

Here are the two brackets:
https://challonge.com/ACUI_2019_MEN
https://challonge.com/ACUI_2019_WOMEN

Good luck to all the players!

Here is a link to a picture of Mark Wilson’s Lindenwood Lions:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2111582032304317&set=a.408243259304878&type=3&sfns=xmo

History continues, since 1937.

A list of champions since 1937 can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACUI_Collegiate_Pocket_Billiards_National_Championship

Unfortunately, ACUI has not updated/added the list of champions to their new website so I added the historical list to Wikipedia. Much of the other information is dated on the page, but I will look at editing it over time in the future perhaps with the help of some knowledgeable members here.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post and links.

... History continues, since 1937.

The last time I looked, pool was the only sport left in ACUI competitions. I think student unions are cutting back on the recreation part of their function -- it used to be a much larger part of many unions. Berkeley has zero tables and lanes now.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post and links.

The last time I looked, pool was the only sport left in ACUI competitions. I think student unions are cutting back on the recreation part of their function -- it used to be a much larger part of many unions. Berkeley has zero tables and lanes now.

Hey Bob,

ACUI is still heavily involved in promoting competition collegiate clay target shooting.

https://www.acui.org/claytargets/

I am not nearly as familiar with this program but can tell you participation, sponsorship, profitability outshine the billiard program tenfold.

They have hundreds of competiors and multiple teams similar to Lindenwood vying for championships each year.

It’s quite interesting. The gun industry sponsorships are interesting for a liberal collegiate non profit and something that doesn’t often get promoted outside the clay target community.

I always wanted to learn more about the program’s history.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Bob,

ACUI is still heavily involved in promoting competition collegiate clay target shooting.

https://www.acui.org/claytargets/
It's interesting that single marksmanship discipline is promoted. I wonder if other disciplines, such as the ones in the Olympics, were considered. I don't remember clay targets being part of the regionals, but maybe my school didn't participate. I imagine that there is a single person who drove (is driving?) the program.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting that single marksmanship discipline is promoted. I wonder if other disciplines, such as the ones in the Olympics, were considered. I don't remember clay targets being part of the regionals, but maybe my school didn't participate. I imagine that there is a single person who drove (is driving?) the program.

Regionals and clay shooting, from my understanding, have been separate. I believe this is because campuses don't have the facilities to allow for clay shooting (and guns). I believe their National's is held at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, Texas.

They began to cut back on the traditional recreation weekends (Pool, chess, bowling, spades, table tennis, etc.) that included multiple sports/games in 2013/2014. This was due to a restructuring of ACUI regions and the fact that regions were required to host these but the disparity in the number of participants/events and effort put into the weekend differed wildly between regions.

Now there are no recreation weekends but the ACUI 9-ball tournaments are called Sectionals and any school can host (not many do) but this opens up the ability for multiple schools within the same region the ability to host, conceptually, allowing more students to participate.

Now some of this could have changed in the two years I haven't been involved with the association but this is how it was when I was volunteering.

-Ben

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know someone who won that tournament some years ago.

I hope so.

There’s got to be at least ten guys I and others know personally, and at least two of them post on AZBilliards.

Freddie <~~~ not one of them

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope so.

There’s got to be at least ten guys I and others know personally, and at least two of them post on AZBilliards.

Freddie <~~~ not one of them

Of course you're right. I was thinking of Bob Jewett since we were both at Berkeley the year he won. And I know Nick Varner and Dan Louie from that same era.

I hadn't looked at the full list recently, but I see that it is full of well-known names.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I was able to compete in the ACUI as a graduate student. I won my region four years in a row, and finished 2nd twice, and 3rd and 4th at the nationals. I came within 2 games of winning it my first time in the finals.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournament just wrapped up.

Men's Division
1st: Andreas Madsen - Lindenwood University
2nd: Rahul Vithani - Indiana University
3rd: Robert Patrick

Women's Division
1st: April Larsen - Lindenwood University
2nd: Taylor Hansen - Lindenwood University
3rd: Ava Schieferstein

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was able to compete in the ACUI as a graduate student. I won my region four years in a row, and finished 2nd twice, and 3rd and 4th at the nationals. I came within 2 games of winning it my first time in the finals.

Nice job, Jim. I won the UMass tourney one year, and the next year the draw magically was done the night before, and I and Rob (you might remember Rob) got each other in the first round. Hmmm.....

That sucked as he and I were the best two in the tournament. I’m still a bit pissed off about it.

Freddie <~~~ only when the ACU-I gets mentioned.