VEPS Disc 4 and 5

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I didn't see any reviews here for discs 4 and 5, so I thought I'd post a summary of a blog entry I did for these 2 discs I just received last week.

If you've seen any of their preview videos, then you know what to expect. To be honest, the production quality looks like it was done on a small budget - but that doesn't mean the information isn't super high quality. If you can get past the off-balance room mic and introductory level graphics, you will find yourself being treated to some of the best information on pool available.

---

What you can expect though is an unending assault of information about each and every shot they demonstrate. The typical format goes like this: Introduce a shot, shoot the shot, show what happens with variations to the shot (speed and english), show the correct shot again from a different position. In some cases, they'll spend some time demonstrating several variations of the base shot. (banks, for example) There are some areas of the discs where they will spend more time explaining the shot and variations on them. 3-rail kicks, for example, was explained and demonstrated from several locations around the table and that made it much easier to take that information to the table.

---

My only "gripe" about these discs is that they refer to external resources far too much. For a lot of shots they refer to an article written in a magazine up to 5 years ago, or their website to watch more youtube videos about the shot they just explained. All of the external information is free (which is nice), but if I'm paying for a dvd of shots and information, I don't want to have to go through a variety of other online resources to complete the disc I'm paying for. If I wanted to watch youtube videos, I'd watch them. If I wanted to read articles in magazines, I'd read them. Instead, I chose to watch a dvd and I shouldn't have to go somewhere else to "complete" the information presented. If they don't want to waste main-disc space with all the extra high-speed videos, then include a 2nd disc of "extras" which could have the high speed videos and maybe even PDF's of the articles they suggest.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase and I will most certainly be completing my collection in the very near future. I would absolutely recommend these discs to any other pool player who is serious about the game and who might wonder why the balls do what they do. I'm excited to get discs I - III, and when I do, I'll be sure to post a review here as well.

Read Full Review Here

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

Thank you for your honest feedback.

You must have extremely high "production quality" expectations, because most people have reported that VEPS' production quality is very good, especially compared to most pool instructional videos (which I know isn't saying much).

Concerning the frequent links to external resources, we have gotten mixed reviews about this. Many people like to know where they can find additional information if they want or need it, but others (like you) think this is distracting.

I'm glad you at least like the wealth of information provided in VEPS.

Thank you for writing up your opinions.

BTW, here is a collection of testimonials and reviews from many others (including top instructors and publications) for the entire VEPS series.

Regards,
Dave

I didn't see any reviews here for discs 4 and 5, so I thought I'd post a summary of a blog entry I did for these 2 discs I just received last week.

If you've seen any of their preview videos, then you know what to expect. To be honest, the production quality looks like it was done on a small budget - but that doesn't mean the information isn't super high quality. If you can get past the off-balance room mic and introductory level graphics, you will find yourself being treated to some of the best information on pool available.

---

What you can expect though is an unending assault of information about each and every shot they demonstrate. The typical format goes like this: Introduce a shot, shoot the shot, show what happens with variations to the shot (speed and english), show the correct shot again from a different position. In some cases, they'll spend some time demonstrating several variations of the base shot. (banks, for example) There are some areas of the discs where they will spend more time explaining the shot and variations on them. 3-rail kicks, for example, was explained and demonstrated from several locations around the table and that made it much easier to take that information to the table.

---

My only "gripe" about these discs is that they refer to external resources far too much. For a lot of shots they refer to an article written in a magazine up to 5 years ago, or their website to watch more youtube videos about the shot they just explained. All of the external information is free (which is nice), but if I'm paying for a dvd of shots and information, I don't want to have to go through a variety of other online resources to complete the disc I'm paying for. If I wanted to watch youtube videos, I'd watch them. If I wanted to read articles in magazines, I'd read them. Instead, I chose to watch a dvd and I shouldn't have to go somewhere else to "complete" the information presented. If they don't want to waste main-disc space with all the extra high-speed videos, then include a 2nd disc of "extras" which could have the high speed videos and maybe even PDF's of the articles they suggest.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase and I will most certainly be completing my collection in the very near future. I would absolutely recommend these discs to any other pool player who is serious about the game and who might wonder why the balls do what they do. I'm excited to get discs I - III, and when I do, I'll be sure to post a review here as well.

Read Full Review Here

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
To be fair... I only have 2 other instructional dvd's ... "How to play pool right" (which was my first disc when i first started wanting to learn - and that was a VHS transfer that had 1985 written all over it) and then I got Mastering Pool (with Mika); which AV-wise is pretty much creme of the crop. So...

But yeah, I am kind of a audio-video-phile overall - however, it wasn't a big deal because, like I said, the information is excellent. :)

The external videos are great for when I'm not at home and want to look something up - so having them online is definitely a bonus. I was just hoping (expecting) that the discs would include everything available.

erikido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
completely agree

fantastic videos. I bought all 5 and I agree lots of great info. I was kind of like op I would have preferred everything on the videos as opposed to reference to articles. BUt, fantastic videos none the less.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
fantastic videos. I bought all 5 and I agree lots of great info.
Thanks. Please help spread the word.

I was kind of like op I would have preferred everything on the videos as opposed to reference to articles.
Some people like the links to additional resources, and some don't. Regardless, the article links don't mean stuff was left out of the videos. The articles just provide "supplemental" detail, illustrations, and examples (that some people might think is too tedious if included in the video).

BUt, fantastic videos none the less.
Thanks again for your comments and feedback.

Regards,
Dave