Wavy shaft into a 3x8/10 butt

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, one question, what's the difference between 3x8/10 threads versus wavy? for example, I have a 3x8/10 butt thats a custom cue, and I want to buy a mezz shaft, they offer wavy shafts, if I request a 3x8/10 shaft it will be much more expensive.

Can I order the default mezz wavy shaft and will it fit just fine? if not, whats the problem if the threads are the same, the thing is, the wavy is just a 3x8/10 but as a wood, unless I'm mistaken.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I think you know this want work. Why would Mezz call their pin Wavy if it was a 3/8-10 pin?
If your buying a shaft for several hundred dollars, I would think the most important thing is that it actually fits well with whatever butt you use?
Mezz makes all their shafts in 3/8-10 as an option, the upcharge is about $30 so it`s not a huge price difference.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I have done it plenty of times fits nice and tight no problems for me. Just go on and off with some wax the first time. No biggie.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience is it will fit, but if you put the shaft back on a wavy pin it may be a little loose. This can be corrected by putting some water in the butt which will cause some swelling of the wood and tighten up the connection. You have to be careful, if you leave the water in too long, it may swell too much and you might not get the shaft on. This information comes from cuemaker Bill Stroud in a post I read somewhere.

I tried it and it does work, but you have to do it again from time to time because you have loosened the connection in the shaft by putting it on a 3/8 - 10 pin.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just don't do it. Why mess up a shaft on purpose? Just buy a 3/8-10 shaft

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense to anyone but I've realized there is alot of bad advice on here. In general. Anyone that tells someone to screw on a shaft with threads tapped directly into wood is a moron. Specially when it's a 275$ shaft. Anyone else reading this. DO NOT FORCE YOUR WAVY JOINT SHAFT ONTO A 3/8-10 PIN

My experience is it will fit, but if you put the shaft back on a wavy pin it may be a little loose. This can be corrected by putting some water in the butt which will cause some swelling of the wood and tighten up the connection. You have to be careful, if you leave the water in too long, it may swell too much and you might not get the shaft on. This information comes from cuemaker Bill Stroud in a post I read somewhere.

I tried it and it does work, but you have to do it again from time to time because you have loosened the connection in the shaft by putting it on a 3/8 - 10 pin.

I assume that you mean, putting some water in the threads of the inside of joint (maybe some drops, using a tincture drop maker, from tincture bottles), to cause the threads to swell (thicken)?

No offense to anyone but I've realized there is alot of bad advice on here. In general. Anyone that tells someone to screw on a shaft with threads tapped directly into wood is a moron. Specially when it's a 275$ shaft. Anyone else reading this. DO NOT FORCE YOUR WAVY JOINT SHAFT ONTO A 3/8-10 PIN

I had a tip installed on my Wavy joint shaft this evening, and the installer used a 3/8x10 pin to hold the shaft onto the lathe.

I tried explaining to the installer that the threads were not 3/8x10, but after looking at my Mezz joint pin, he went ahead and assumed it would work just fine.

I really hope it did not mess up the threads of my shaft, but it did not seem like it did.

The shaft still fits onto the Mezz butt just as tight, and slow screwing (onto the pin), as it did before.

Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it’s just the once on the wrong threads, and hasn’t hurt it much.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I tried explaining to the installer that the threads were not 3/8x10, but after looking at my Mezz joint pin, he went ahead and assumed it would work just fine.

I really hope it did not mess up the threads of my shaft, but it did not seem like it did..

I hope all he does are your tips. I have a very good relationship with a few cuemakers and repairmen. Rarely will I call them out on a certain technique that they use. But this would be one of them. I hope your shaft is ok.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking the same as Thunder but a little more ah, strongly.

Anyone can buy a lathe. Not everyone can be a machinist, or cuemaker. Close enough is not good enough.

Go look at someone's drill press. If it has a circular line of little holes across the table the owner is an incompetent hack, not a machinist. There is a difference.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8-10 vs wavy pic

I guess if u want to really see the damage done u can screw a wavy pin joint protector on to a 3/8-10 PIN and saw,it in half when your done. I got two turns and didn't go any further with the shaft. No way in hell I'm ruining 400$ shaft.

Attachments

• 20200616_131614.jpg
    20200616_131614.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 180

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ain't no way in hell I'm putting a wavy shaft on that 3/8x10. Will it go on probably it will. Will u ruin your shafts threads. DEFINATELY.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
When I read threads like this, I fondly remember all the times that I have fixed someone's cue because they did something they read on here, or on another pool related forum. Thanks for keeping the lathe turning, guys.

Btw, if your tip installer requires a drive pin to do a retip, you may want to look elsewhere. I have collets that go over the shaft or butt being worked on. Maybe Justin chose his repair guy based on price, because I consider that a hack way to do a tip. You may as well just use a drill and an exacto knife.