Spanish bull wrap..??

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an idea of the different types of tanning

Tanning Methods
There are quite a few tanning methods used to convert animal hides and skins into leather, but I’m only going to discuss a few of them. For more information on additional types of tanning processes, please refer to this article.

Vegetable-Tanned Leather
Vegetable-tanned leather has been tanned using tannin and vegetable matter. It is the only tanning method suitable for tooling, carving and forming leather. This is the type of leather used in holsters, and can also be used for journal covers, bags, purses, etc.

Chrome-Tanned Leather
Chrome-tanned leather is tanned using chromium sulfate and other chromium salts. This results in a softer, more pliable leather when compared to vegetable-tanned leather. Chrome-tanned leather can not be tooled, carved or formed. It should never be used for anything that will be in contact with metal that can rust, as the chromium salts will damage the metal finish. It’s cheaper to buy (compared to vegetable-tanned) because it’s quick and easy to produce.

Oil-Tanned Leather
Oil-tanned leather is not actually tanned with oil – it is usually a chrome-tanned leather that has been treated with oil to make it more weather resistant.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
What's the difference as far as being on a cue? Softer i guess?

If you're referring to the ones on Martin's site I would suggest grabbing one of each and answer that question for yourself.
The reg SB has a shiny finish on it and feels fantastic in your hand. Probably a bit slicker feeling than the OT.
The OT has the look of being more flat black and has a feel of being slightly brushed like a suede but not quite.
Both work well... just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're referring to the ones on Martin's site I would suggest grabbing one of each and answer that question for yourself.
The reg SB has a shiny finish on it and feels fantastic in your hand. Probably a bit slicker feeling than the OT.
The OT has the look of being more flat black and has a feel of being slightly brushed like a suede but not quite.
Both work well... just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Thanks. That's what i was wondering.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Leather, one thing I found about leather and pool is this. It was after playing for years with that new Zambotin 1978 leather wrap, it had NO tack/was shiny, and my hands are normally very dry. I hated that wrap, it had NOTHING to do with the cue maker. During play, I had too hold it in my lap, cross ways with my hands on the handle to keep it soft, and playable. That wrap cost me allot.