Need Info On Visiting NYC

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Everyone!

My wife and I will be visiting family in Hartford, CT in a couple weeks and we are planning on making a trip into NYC for some sightseeing. First time ever to NYC for me. We would be coming into NYC via train into Grand Central Station. I would like to visit Amsterdam Billiards as well as Jean Balukas's pool room while we are there. Additionally, and I know this one is not pool related (LOL) but I would also like to vist the home of Louis Armstrong in Queens. If anyone familiar with the area could tell me how to go about visiting these places I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Randy

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Hi Randy,

Amsterdam Billiards
110 E 11th St
New York, NY 10003-5302
(212) 995-0333
You can take the number 6 train from Grand Central 42nd street station to 14th street.
If you want to get a table best times is from 12 noon to 6 PM weekdays. After 6 PM, unless you reserve, it maybe hard to get a table because of Amsterdams' league nights.

Hall of Fame
505 Ovington Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11209-1701
(718) 921-2694
Closest Station is Bayridge Ave, R train. From Amsterdam you can walk over to Broadway and take the N or the R train at 8th Street. N is an express, so make sure you change over at 59th in Brooklyn for the R.

If you can get the address for ol Satchmo, I'll try my best to get you directions from both pool halls.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ctyhntr,

Thanks so much for that information. I really appreciate it! I'll get back to you later with address info on Satchmo.

Thanks,

Randy

pooltime

Cue Repair | Cue Sales
Silver Member
If you need public transportation dirtictions in NYC, the easiest source is to use Hop Stop:
http://www.hopstop.com/

Just put in your start and end locations and it will tell you which trains, what stops and even has up to date info on which trains might be running alt routes due to track repairs, delays, etc.

Good luck,
Ian

ace911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send me a PM if you are looking for some action.

Master Billiards in queens is a good spot.

PMS

Banned
Hello Everyone!

My wife and I will be visiting family in Hartford, CT in a couple weeks and we are planning on making a trip into NYC for some sightseeing. First time ever to NYC for me. We would be coming into NYC via train into Grand Central Station. I would like to visit Amsterdam Billiards as well as Jean Balukas's pool room while we are there. Additionally, and I know this one is not pool related (LOL) but I would also like to vist the home of Louis Armstrong in Queens. If anyone familiar with the area could tell me how to go about visiting these places I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Randy
I schooled in NYC for 7 years, I can help a little.
Enterprise rent a car http://www.enterprise.com offers the best tri-state deals, keep a notepad to record your parking place.
When using public transpotation, strive to stay above ground, subways are genuinely hardcore new yorkers.
You can get free bus and subway maps from http://www.mta.info 5 bus maps, 1 for each boro, 1 subway map covers all boros.
Roosevelt Island Sky Tram, 60th Street 2nd Avenue, fantastic skyline photo's for your camera.
5th Avenue is the divide between East and West.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I schooled in NYC for 7 years, I can help a little.
Enterprise rent a car http://www.enterprise.com offers the best tri-state deals, keep a notepad to record your parking place.
When using public transpotation, strive to stay above ground, subways are genuinely hardcore new yorkers.
You can get free bus and subway maps from http://www.mta.info 5 bus maps, 1 for each boro, 1 subway map covers all boros.
Roosevelt Island Sky Tram, 60th Street 2nd Avenue, fantastic skyline photo's for your camera.
5th Avenue is the divide between East and West.

I disagree about driving. If someone doesn't know how to drive in Manhattan, now is not the time to try it out. Many streets are "one way" and parking is a nightmare. Fro that matter, the pace of traffic is overwhelming for all but the taxi drivers :p

Taking Metro North to Grand Central is good. Taking subways shouldn't be too bad if you have a subway map. Remember, there is a subway map in every car, on the wall. A good hint is to remember that almost every train in Manhattan runs north to south with a couple of exceptions. For example, if you are on a downtown train, when you get off, remember what direction the train was headed so that when you resurface, you have your directional bearings. Also, buy a "Fun Pass" Metro Card. For $8 bucks, you can ride the train/bus an unlimited amount, for the day.

Lastly, if you are slightly unsure how to navigate to a spot via train, don't take the bus. Pay the extra money for a cab, he'll get you right to the door.

Eric >just a tourist

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for the information provided thus far! It is much appreciated! We will be utilizing public transportation for sure. No way in hell will I drive into NYC. Please keep the tips and info coming. It all helps.

Thanks,

Randy

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
If you're gonna be in Queens, Master Billiards on Queens Blvd and 40th. The 7 train stops about a block away, so maybe you can go to Satchmo's place at the same time. Carom Cafe in Flushing (Frussin) is worth stopping in, if you like 3 cushion. It used to be owned by Sang Lee, before he passed.

Eric

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree about driving. If someone doesn't know how to drive in Manhattan, now is not the time to try it out. Many streets are "one way" and parking is a nightmare. Fro that matter, the pace of traffic is overwhelming for all but the taxi drivers :p

Taking Metro North to Grand Central is good. Taking subways shouldn't be too bad if you have a subway map. Remember, there is a subway map in every car, on the wall. A good hint is to remember that almost every train in Manhattan runs north to south with a couple of exceptions. For example, if you are on a downtown train, when you get off, remember what direction the train was headed so that when you resurface, you have your directional bearings. Also, buy a "Fun Pass" Metro Card. For $8 bucks, you can ride the train/bus an unlimited amount, for the day.

Lastly, if you are slightly unsure how to navigate to a spot via train, don't take the bus. Pay the extra money for a cab, he'll get you right to the door.

Eric >just a tourist

I've lived in New York my entire life and I couldn't agree more with this advice. Renting a car will be more of a pain than anything else. The subways can be a little confusing initially but the signs are frequently excellent, subway maps are everywhere AND you can get a subway map FOR FREE from any clerk booth. If you have an iPhone, you can also download a map for $2.99. I have one since it offers service updates. It also allows me to view the map privately.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
You can also ask ANYONE for help on the subway.

If you are not traveling far, a cab is a good way to get around as well. Not as cheap as the subway, but quicker and easier. Anything long distance though, the train is your best bet.

For visiting Amsterdam, choose your time wisely. Weekday nights, its way to busy to play from 7-10pm. Weekends arnt bad, but still may have a 20-30 min wait. During the day is best.

Aside from all that pool stuff, dont miss out on the AMAZING FOOD this city has to offer. It would be a shame to come here and not get a slice of pizza. I would recommend "Bleeker St. Pizza" (Bleeker st./S. 7th. Ave) The Nonna Maria and Gramma Pizza will knock you out.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can also ask ANYONE for help on the subway.

If you are not traveling far, a cab is a good way to get around as well. Not as cheap as the subway, but quicker and easier. Anything long distance though, the train is your best bet.

For visiting Amsterdam, choose your time wisely. Weekday nights, its way to busy to play from 7-10pm. Weekends arnt bad, but still may have a 20-30 min wait. During the day is best.

Aside from all that pool stuff, dont miss out on the AMAZING FOOD this city has to offer. It would be a shame to come here and not get a slice of pizza. I would recommend "Bleeker St. Pizza" (Bleeker st./S. 7th. Ave) The Nonna Maria and Gramma Pizza will knock you out.

Bleecker Street Pizza? OMG, if you're over there, you have to either go to Joe's or Pizza Box. Joe's is on 6th Avenue and Bleecker and Pizza Box is 1 block over - Bleecker Street between MacDougal and Sullivan Streets. Ask Lipsky. He knows.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I've lived in New York my entire life and I couldn't agree more with this advice. Renting a car will be more of a pain than anything else. The subways can be a little confusing initially but the signs are frequently excellent, subway maps are everywhere AND you can get a subway map FOR FREE from any clerk booth. If you have an iPhone, you can also download a map for $2.99. I have one since it offers service updates. It also allows me to view the map privately.

Thanks Jude! :thumbup:

Eric >lived in Bay Ridge, Upper East side, worked in Manhattan and lives a short bus ride away in NJ, lol

Last edited:

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Bleecker Street Pizza? OMG, if you're over there, you have to either go to Joe's or Pizza Box. Joe's is on 6th Avenue and Bleecker and Pizza Box is 1 block over - Bleecker Street between MacDougal and Sullivan Streets. Ask Lipsky. He knows.

The Box is the nuts. I used to work down there, and still have a few extra pounds on my belly directly attributable to the Pizza Box.