Changing threads?

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
1) Can the screw pitch on a shaft be changed to another?

2) What would be 'ballpark' range for labor?

Wutang

Last edited:

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be best off asking this in the cue makers section of the forums but for now...

1) Yes in most cases (if not every case) the pitch can be "changed" (that being the threaded insert can be replace, or the wood can be plugged and rethreaded). Be prepared for the change to possibly alter how the shaft would feel; though maybe not enough for you to notice or care.

2) I would expect cost to vary based on who does the work, the thread-type you want to change to, and if it's a metal insert or wood. A few years ago I saw a few quotes for around $60... But those are old quotes, I don't know if they were reasonable quotes. And without any info on what your requirements are, you can't assume somebody else's quote will apply to you.

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
You would be best off asking this in the cue makers section of the forums but for now...

1) Yes in most cases (if not every case) the pitch can be "changed" (that being the threaded insert can be replace, or the wood can be plugged and rethreaded). Be prepared for the change to possibly alter how the shaft would feel; though maybe not enough for you to notice or care.

2) I would expect cost to vary based on who does the work, the thread-type you want to change to, and if it's a metal insert or wood. A few years ago I saw a few quotes for around $60... But those are old quotes, I don't know if they were reasonable quotes. And without any info on what your requirements are, you can't assume somebody else's quote will apply to you.

Thanks Abs.

Words heeded!!

Wutang

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Joss shaft fixed, cue cleaned to like new including the wrap for $70 by Mike Webb. If it's something like a Radial to a 3/8x10 swap for a wood joint should not be much at all, I'd guess $40 for just a simple fix and maybe $60 if you are going from a wood to a metal insert.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Radial to a 3/8x10 swap for a wood joint should not be much at all, I'd guess $40 for just a simple fix and maybe $60 if you are going from a wood to a metal insert.

Radial to 3/8ths will require a plug.
Bored, plugged, faced off, bored and tapped.

Going from wood to an insert still requires a plug.
The same except that you will be tapping for an insert.

Don't forget that when changing the threads in a shaft, you will also have to remove the pin in the butt. and essentially do the same steps on the butt as the shaft.

Add the price of an insert and pin to that. Radial pins are a bit more costly than others.

So you can more than double the time involved if you are planning on using the same butt.

I can't dispute what your repairman charges, but, lets just say that for $40, or $60, that job wouldn't be getting done in my shop.

Unless you brought beer. Oh, and pole dancers.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Seyberts re-threaded a 3/8x10 for me for about $30. The previous owner had screwed it up (excuse the pun) by trying to thread it on to a 3/8x11 or radial, or something pin. Anyway, it was bad enough that it needed a plug and new threads cut.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget that when changing the threads in a shaft, you will also have to remove the pin in the butt. and essentially do the same steps on the butt as the shaft.

Add the price of an insert and pin to that. Radial pins are a bit more costly than others.

I would be thinking that he has a certain cue already and got a new shaft free or cheap that he wants to convert to use on it, not that he is changing the pin in both shaft and butt.

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
Just to give a little clarity to the situation:

I came across a shaft that is to my liking: short ferrule, conical taper, 12.5 mm.

When I got it, it was told to me it was 5/16x14 thread.

It is not.

I have a butt with a 5/16x14 pin.

I wish to have the shaft thread 'converted' to fit this particular butt.

No conversion on the butt is necessary.

By the way, thanks to all responses.

Keep 'em coming. :thumbup:

Wutang

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to give a little clarity to the situation:

I came across a shaft that is to my liking: short ferrule, conical taper, 12.5 mm.

When I got it, it was told to me it was 5/16x14 thread.

It is not.

I have a butt with a 5/16x14 pin.

I wish to have the shaft thread 'converted' to fit this particular butt.

No conversion on the butt is necessary.

By the way, thanks to all responses.

Keep 'em coming. :thumbup:

Wutang
:)

Well, you didn't say what the thread of the shaft is.

If it's just a 5/16-18, just run a 5/16-14 tap down it----and there you go.

Fits two different butts.:thumbup:

Just a two minute job....

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty easy to do. If its only plugging and threading the shaft, that would be about $50 if you need to have the diameter adusted to fit flush with the butt, expect to pay a bit more, $70-90 is my guess.