Dust collection in northern climate

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sending conditioned air outside? I set my system up 20 yrs ago when I started woodworking and am evolving into pool cues. My dust collector is located in a small insulated room in an unheated area of my building. I have a 20 in. x 20 in. opening back into the shop covered with a funace filter. Theory at the time was to avoid sending $ out the wall. Option A = installing hepa type filter on both sides of opening. Option B = eliminate opening. Anyone doing this?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sending conditioned air outside? I set my system up 20 yrs ago when I started woodworking and am evolving into pool cues. My dust collector is located in a small insulated room in an unheated area of my building. I have a 20 in. x 20 in. opening back into the shop covered with a funace filter. Theory at the time was to avoid sending $ out the wall. Option A = installing hepa type filter on both sides of opening. Option B = eliminate opening. Anyone doing this?

I don't vent to the atmosphere because both heat and A/C are expensive to replace and it doesn't take long to empty your shop of it. The bad thing about filters is - the better they catch the dust - the faster they clog up. My shop is so dusty that I buy the cheapest pleated filters I can (300) for my Hvac and they last 2 weeks before becoming clogged. I have an old Hoover convertible sweeper but it got where I had trouble buying bags for it so I bought a new Red Devil floor sweeper with the hepa-filter and it clogs up with about a minutes worth of running. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Dick

Last edited:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't vent to the atmosphere because both heat and A/C are expensive to replace and it doesn't take long to empty your shop of it. The bad thing about filters is - the better they catch the dust - the faster they clog up. My shop is so dusty that I buy the cheapest pleated filters I can (300) for my Hvac and they last 2 weeks before becoming clogged. I have an old Hoover convertible sweeper but it got where I had trouble buying bags for it so I bought a new Red Devil floor sweeper with the hepa-filter and it clogs up with about a minutes worth of running. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Dick

Dick, it sounds like you really need some kind of cyclone on your dust collector and or your shop vac! But you're absolutely right, the better the filter, the faster they clog.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

I think if your worried about sending warm out the hole you should forget about building pool cues or get a propane heater that heats the entire space.