Bergman vs Morra, race to 100.

Dusty5150

Registered
Morra's being spotted 15 games, i.e. he only has to go to 85.

Thanks! :thumbup:

edit - not to derail this thread or anything, but why don't they just say race to 100 & Morra gets 15. Why does he get 15 "on the wire" ... what's the significance of 'on the wire' vs. just 'he gets 15'? is it just cool pool gambling slang?

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

edit - not to derail this thread or anything, but why don't they just say race to 100 & Morra gets 15. Why does he get 15 "on the wire" ... what's the significance of 'on the wire' vs. just 'he gets 15'? is it just cool pool gambling slang?

Just pool gambling slang. I would think that the phrase ‘on the wire’ is used more then ‘so and so gets 15’.

Don’t think anyone cares too much the way they describe the spot, but it would probably be best to say ‘Morra gets 15 games’. If it said ‘Morra gets 15’, some people might be confused whether he gets 15 time outs, 15 mulligans, 15 bathroom breaks, or 15 games.

Dusty5150

Registered
Just pool gambling slang. I would think that the phrase ‘on the wire’ is used more then ‘so and so gets 15’.

Don’t think anyone cares too much the way they describe the spot, but it would probably be best to say ‘Morra gets 15 games’. If it said ‘Morra gets 15’, some people might be confused whether he gets 15 time outs, 15 mulligans, 15 bathroom breaks, or 15 games.

got it! thank you :)

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t understand the point of mentioning that Morra is playing left handed. He’s been switched over to left handed exclusively for a while now. I think his Fargo now is just as high as it was when he played right handed. I agree though. 15 seems like a lot to spot Morra

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Perhaps a reference to the old wire score beads that most pool halls had years ago . . .

Attachments

• wire_score_beads.jpg
    wire_score_beads.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 502

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race to 45 will take a very very long time with these two

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205-082104.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-082104.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 501

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

"The wire" refers to the wire above the light with sliding beads on it for keeping score. When keeping score this way, you'd literally slide 15 beads over on Morra's side of the wire before the match began, making the spot "15 on the wire".

The phrase differentiates from other spots that would effect each individual rack. If he was being spotted 7 games, for instance, adding "on the wire" would help clarify that he's not being spotted the 7-ball each game.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race to 45 will take a very very long time with these two

it will take forever. but, there are probably a few who don't mind watching it.

i guess i shouldn't say anything, i watched every minute of the 2006 graeme dott - peter ebdon snooker world championship final, and countless long haul one pocket matches.. to each his own

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gets 15 what?

That's why.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If john is getting 15 games on the wire, no chance to beat him unless both his arms fall off midmatch

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If john is getting 15 games on the wire, no chance to beat him unless both his arms fall off midmatch

I know he plays well left handed, but Bergman is a top notch player. I'm not sure Mora will win even getting 15 games. Right handed it is a near even match up, but Bergman would still probably be favored.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I love that two way shot stipulation. Still a call shot game but with the ability to call two separate balls brings that extra level. I really like both of these guys. The bird man will have to bring his A game

Dusty5150

Registered
"The wire" refers to the wire above the light with sliding beads on it for keeping score. When keeping score this way, you'd literally slide 15 beads over on Morra's side of the wire before the match began, making the spot "15 on the wire".

The phrase differentiates from other spots that would effect each individual rack. If he was being spotted 7 games, for instance, adding "on the wire" would help clarify that he's not being spotted the 7-ball each game.

Thanks for this. Makes sense as I try to understand this strange pool gambling language ;)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

There is literally NOBODY in history that would confuse "getting 7 games" with "getting the 7", adding "on the wire" does absolutely nothing but add 3 words that were completely unnecessary.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see Filler put up challenges like this. Give 15 games to a fargo 790-800 player.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see Filler put up challenges like this. Give 15 games to a fargo 790-800 player.

Not sure he'd get many takers.

We need SVB vs Filler in a long race. This is supposed to happening.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure he'd get many takers.

We need SVB vs Filler in a long race. This is supposed to happening.

A lot of back and forth about 10b only or 9b only, etc etc.

I don't think Shane wants 9b.

9b DCC rules and look what happened.

Last edited: