Sneaky Pete

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me out here since i make (hobby basis) very basic full splice cues - what is the maximum embellishment i can add and still sling around the term "Sneaky" or "Sneaky Pete"?

Does a white butt collar rule it out?
Butt side ferule at the joint so long as none on the shaft?

Apparently if it includes ferules on both sides of joint and a Butt collar, it would be incorrect? Or did i miss something else?

Can you call the above cue a "Sneakly Pete style" cue?

This is not intended to be snarky, i just make cues, don't want to use wrong terminology.

smt

I don't think there is a "right" answer to that question. If it has ringwork or a buttcap, I call it a 'fancy sneaky." That's just terminology though. I don't personally care if you call it "zaboo the wonder chicken." You make very nice full splice cues and they stand on their own regardless of whether they would be considered by some to be a "true sneaky pete." It's a coined term anyways.

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Bumlak.

I occasionally refresh my mental images of cues by studying the old BBC catalogs with color cuts. Of course "Sneaky Pete" is not in any way BBC related. But i realized that i (& others) might be using the term "Merry Widow" incorrectly, since the original had a linen wrap - & rosewood or ebony spliced shaft!

Not being pedantic, just fascinating about origins and evolution of terms and concepts.

A "real" Merry Widow had a simple, solid, non-splice butt as today, but the overall cue was somewhat complex in comparison.

I guess i think it's still a sneaky if you can leave it stand in a bar, and someone who goes to pick it up (obviously not a serious player except in their own mind) will actually argue that it is a house stick until you unscrew it or show a mark. But i'm also open to the notion that each culture (or industry) has its own language, and some terms/names may include understood limits as to what objects fit that category.

smt

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot in the dark here but, I'm leaning toward Bill Schick.
Looks like a thick handle, has longer butt cap, and there's
allot of pin sticking outta the joint.
He used that old brown phenolic allot.
On top of the fact that Schick is one of few
that intentionally pilot joint pins to install
an ivory tip on his high end builds.
Given the era, I'm throwing that in the hat...