Pics of cracked revo

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you mean the 314-1 or the Revo. If the 314-1, well there are probably a bunch of old threads especially in the ask the cue maker section. I know I had several on my lathe for new tips that had a ferrule with flat spots all over them. Any of the cue repair guys must have seen them also.

If you mean the Revo, I have a personal friend who told me he had two separate Revo 12.4's fail earlier this year. The failure was a bulge about 3/4 of the way up the shaft from the tip end. He said you couldn't really see the bulge, but you could feel it.

He uses two Revo 12.4's. One for shooting, and one for breaking. The bulge happened to the breaking shaft. He sent it back to Predator, and they replaced it. He used the replacement for breaking again, and the same bulge happened in the same spot. He sent that replacement shaft back, and they replaced it a second time. He told me the second time Predator recommended to send him the break specific shaft since he was using it for breaking.

Although I did not see the bulged shafts myself, this person is very honorable, and I trust his accounting of events completely. He is a low A level player, and definitely knows how to hold a stick.

I can't tell exactly from the OP of this thread where the break in his shaft was due to the picture not showing the entire shaft, but if its in the same place as where my friend had two separate shafts bulge, well then that clearly indicates that area is a weak spot for this shaft.

Now, just like the 314-1 with their soft ferrules, maybe this weak spot comes at a cost of the latest performance, and people will be willing to take their chances. Or, maybe Predator will address the issue (like they did with 314-2 ferrules), and make the shaft last longer while still retaining or even improving its performance.

I think you are partially right, but the fundamental problem is the design itself (Im talking about 314 and Z shafts now) they are simply designed in a way that makes the shafts prone to failiure. This wasn't just the case with the 1 series, I have replaced so many ferrules on 2 series shafts that I have lost count by now.
Notice that in the 3 series Predator changed ferrule material and the actual diameter of the shaft was increased by 0.05mm, from 11.75 to 11.8 for the Z and from 12.75 to 12.8mm for the 314. That should give a clue to how many failiures Predator had had in the previous models.
If the Revo is a flawed design or if this was just a case of bad luck, I guess we will find out in the year to come.
What's interesting to note is that most shaft failiures I see stems from two companies, both agressive in their marketing and comming with dubious claims about performance. Brands like Mezz, Samsara and Joss (to name a few) almost never develops any problems as their shafts simply are more sensibly designed. Personally I would rather have a bit less deflection if that's the price I have to pay for durability.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm actually surprised that so many people are saying that it's not due to the missing pad. The pad is there to absorb shock. If CF is stiff and also somewhat brittle, I would say that even if the cracking of the shaft happened somewhere down lower on the shaft, that the pad would still help to lessen the shock that the entire shaft receives. BeCue Prime M has a rather large, clear pad under the tip.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually surprised that so many people are saying that it's not due to the missing pad. The pad is there to absorb shock. If CF is stiff and also somewhat brittle, I would say that even if the cracking of the shaft happened somewhere down lower on the shaft, that the pad would still help to lessen the shock that the entire shaft receives. BeCue Prime M has a rather large, clear pad under the tip.

Except the spot it broke at is where there’s an added metal slug. Along with the multiple break shafts that have failed at the exact same spot, it’s a flawed design.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Except the spot it broke at is where there’s an added metal slug. Along with the multiple break shafts that have failed at the exact same spot, it’s a flawed design.
In an ideal world, Predator would have worked out a design that was extremely rugged and would never fail. They likely came up with a design that when used with a pad, they felt wouldn't fail. Not using a pad I think is definitely going to push any design inadequacies to their limits.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In an ideal world, Predator would have worked out a design that was extremely rugged and would never fail. They likely came up with a design that when used with a pad, they felt wouldn't fail. Not using a pad I think is definitely going to push any design inadequacies to their limits.

Just like a pad on an ivory ferrule, the red pad on a Revo shaft is to protect the shaft from splintering out. A total failure of the entire circumference will happen regardless whether a pad was there or not.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just do what I did:

Add a "white pad" that sits directly ontop of the red pad.

I chose pad thickness that would give a "wee bit" visual aid without adding any noticed deflection.

Side effects:

Easier to play with, has extra protection and looks cool.

How can you you go wrong?????????

Your welcome,

Rake

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Just do what I did:

Add a "white pad" that sits directly ontop of the red pad.

I chose pad thickness that would give a "wee bit" visual aid without adding any noticed deflection.

Side effects:

Easier to play with, has extra protection and looks cool.

How can you you go wrong?????????

Your welcome,

Rake
You know, I did something similar. But not for a visual aid. After changing the tip on my Revo a few times and the red pad wearing down, I installed a hard black pad, and then a tip that came with a clear pad. I figure that I have enough padding now to avert any problems.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, I did something similar. But not for a visual aid. After changing the tip on my Revo a few times and the red pad wearing down, I installed a hard black pad, and then a tip that came with a clear pad. I figure that I have enough padding now to avert any problems.

Great minds think alike.

Btw, did the pad change the performance of your shaft?

I had one pad added, no change at all. Had a yet a second pad added and to my surprise.... there was literally no change in performance.

To me, the second pad didn't even change the feel or hit but, it did change the SOUND a lot.

It sounds much more like a wooden shaft now. Not that it bothered me, it was just a side effect of added protection in my mind.

Also:

It's funny how other companies that put pads on CF cues and how it seems to add A LOT more deflection to their products.

I'm sure it's a design "difference.....not issue" but, I still wonder sometimes exactly what the difference is.

Like all things in life, it's a give and take situation.

Rake

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I could finaly stomach getting this out of the case and taking pics since I got my new one in the mail yesterday. I’m not going to contact predator about it because I believe it’s my fault for taking the pad off the tip. I could have someone put a new tip and pad on but I’m not that kind of person.

On another note I wanted to get a 12.4 this time but they are like gold. Seriously .. if anyone put one up for less then $600 they were gone in minutes and if they were on eBay they seemed to go up to $700 or $800. Also I got the new one from omega billiards and it was quick shipping and they were very nice on the phone . I would do business with them again for sure.

Sorry if this posts twice . I tried to post this and it never showed up on the feed.

Have you got a photo showing the whole shaft, or how far from the tip this failure occurred?
One thing for absolutely sure, is the failure is not from the tip or no tip pad.
It is most likely from some other damage to the cue shaft, that has caused a fracture in one of the laminate layers. Cueing where the tip runs on the cloth and causes the shaft to bend in the middle and stresses the joint, can be enough to fracture some of the laminate layers, that can lead to a catastrophic failure. Another is a ding from the side of the table etc as well.