how are ya'll doing in league ?

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This week I played 3 matches. An 8 and a 9 ball match against the perennial best 7 in the league...I lost the 9 ball match on the very last ball...hill-hill. Won my 8 ball match against him though...played some really smart pool, took my time and pulled it out.

For some reason after all that, we were shorthanded so they picked me to go up a rank and played their best 4 against me in a 5-3 race. I decided I was going to repay this disrespect with a good old fashioned ass whoopin. All of a sudden he is up 2-0 and breaking. He breaks dry and I missed 3 shots in the next 5 games. Banked in two eight balls and its 5-2...match over.

Disappointing night in 9 ball, but not sure if I have ever played better during league in 8 ball...overall very happy with my night.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played pretty dang sporty.Friday night and tonight. Only played 9 ball both times to let other players get matches in. Also just wanted to concentrate on 9 ball since we have 9 ball tri cups this weekend. Both of my teams are in it and thankfully they will not play each other due to being in different brackets.

Friday I won 46-9 vs a 4. Score was 18-2
Tonight I won 46-30 vs another 6 .score was 15-5.

Not sure but putting my revo up and getting the meucci out of the closet may have something to do with it.
Ordered a meucci carbon pro for my gambler....ought to receive it in about 3 more weeks.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in my Regional APA 9-ball qualifier this weekend. I played so good. I was really proud of myself. Came down to the final between me and a guy I had beaten in a earlier round. I got way over confident. I went up like 12-6 on him and my stroke felt so good. Anyway. He made a couple 9 on the snaps. They next thing I know we are near the end. He needs 6 and I need 10. It was a shootout. But in the end I just came up short.

It doesn’t bother me to lose. But lose when I felt like I didn’t give my best effort bothers me. So Runner Up is all I get. 🙂

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a session and a half into CPA(APA in Canada) 8-ball league and I just don't enjoy myself at league at all. I play as a 7 and, in all honesty, the division that my team is in simply does not have any decent players in it. I haven't lost a match yet and have lost 5 games total in 15 or 16 weeks I've played.

Having played high level VNEA(have previously won the VNEA teams in Vegas and placed 2nd in the Master's teams), I find this level of competition really dull and I just don't understand how high handicap players in other areas play year after year.

What do you do to keep yourself interested and keep your game tight when your opponents don't even have a chance most night?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
After subbing last night for a league that I plan to play in this fall, my conclusions are:

1) Unless the league is in a decent sized town, really good play is frowned upon. I heard the term "ringer" thrown around a few times.

2) Don't bring your wife or GF to leagues. If there are any hotties anywhere in the bar, they will find a way to complain and get jealous. Even if it's not YOUR significant other (SO), the SO of teammates will also watch you like a hawk and complain if you look at the hotties for more than 2 seconds max.

Last edited:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a 6 this week in 9 ball. I didn't play 8 ball this week, and that is too bad, since the player they put up at the end was weak and I would have gotten us the last win and it would have put us all alone in 3rd place. I won my match against their 6. I started out the match with a great break that left a decently hard 1-9 that I made. Two more quick games and it was 3-0. He clawed back 2 games in the middle when I scratched on a three rail shot to get on an easy 6-9, but I closed the match out after that with a nice little 7 ball run. I have had a pretty rough session. 9-5 in 8 ball and now 8-8 in 9 ball. I have been playing really well the last few weeks. Two weeks til the end of the session and we are in strong contention...lets hope we can qualify in both...one more session after this one before titleholders, but itd be nice to lock up those spots in two weeks so that we are not on the outside looking in.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
I'm doing terrible. I currently lead the league in leaving my opponents with 7 balls on the table.... :grin:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA is good. Last night I avenged a loss from a tournament a while back, I had a B&R and in my last game one of the best players in the city (if not the best) broke and ran but got hooked on the 8 and missed so I finished it up and had an amazing cut shot while doing it. Another 40 point night. My last few weeks should put me in 3rd place.

APA is good too, only lost 1 match this session, I have a commanding lead in the MVP standings and I've beat all the decent players I've played. My one loss was to a 6 early in the season but I just avenged that loss with a beating, 65 to 23-27 (not sure, I just know it was a 16-4 match). And our team is in first in our division and has a commanding lead there, city wide we're in second place, by 2 points.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had 9 ball tri cups this weekend. What a disaster. I had 2 teams in it with 5 common players " people that play on both teams. Many people play on more than one team and rules state that common players cannot play if they are on 2 teams that face each other. When that happens you just play whoever is not on both teams the 2 or 3 matches it takes and the winner advances.

So.....our new league operators came up with a solution to prevent the above scenario. They use 2 venues and place one team at one venue and put the other team at the other venue and stagger starting times an hour and a half apart. The venues are only 10 minutes apart with one using valleys and the other has diamonds.

Its a pain the the rear from a logistical standpoint since I am the captain of both teams and cannot be at both at the same time and match who I want and give timeouts.

We started Friday night at 6:30 on the valleys and I threw my 4 vs their 3 and my 4 barely won. Next I threw my 5 vs a 4 and my 5 won 16-4. I sent my 4 to the diamond venue and then I decided not to play there and headed to the other venue and told my co captain" a 3" I wanted my 6 to olay their other 4 and her and my other 3 to play the last 2 matches and for my 5 to stay there and coach the 3's. When they finally arrive at the diamond venue I find out they barely won by 2 points.

So at the second venue my 4 loses to another 4 pretty bad. My 2 wins vs another 2. My 5 wins pretty handily vs a 4. My 6 gets curb stomped by a 9 who my 6 has won every game against in regular session. So we are in sudden death in the last match due to it running late and I play vs 4 who I have to hold to 9 points in order for us to win. That means I have to hold him to less than 5 balls since every ball is 2 points and the 9 is 4 points. I break and run the first rack. Second rack I break and run to the 8 ball and wind up hooking myself behind the 9. I kick and make contact but leave him good. He makes the 8 and 9. Six points for him. He breaks and makes 2 balls...game over.

10:00 this morning back at the valleys ....disaster. My 4 is at national guard drills....my 2 cannot get off work...that leaves 4 players. Its got me a lil peeved but keep my head and lose 55-42 in a 55-46 race vs a 7. My 5 loses vs a 5. I head to the diamonds and learn later my 6 won but having not won enough points to offset the 20 points we had to forfeit in the last match they just forfeited the 4th match also.

Meanwhile at the diamonds. My 5 wins bs another 5. My 2 loses to a 3 that played like a 4. My 5 lost to a 4 that played like a 5....he had a break and run the first rack. So I throw myself and they counter with a 7 . I keep up with him for 2 racks and we are tied at 10-10. Next thing I know the league operator comes over and says she is putting me on a 30 second shot clock. My opponent had went over and complained I was playing slow. That pizzed me off because I was not playing as slow as others had been playing and never were put on the clock. Messed my game up and my opponent won. So we went 2 and out at the diamonds. Went back ti the valleys and just ti shorten this we lost having to forfeit the last match.

I really do not want to go through this again. I have not had a chance to talk with other captains on how they feel about this set up.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won both of my matches tonight...absolutely nothing spectacular, a couple of 6 ball runs. Got down early 2-0 against a 3 in 9 ball...missed an easy 8 and left the 8 and 9 hanging on opposite corners, then he breaks a 9 ball on the next rack, bam, he is on the hill. I Won the next 4 to close out the match, not pretty, but it was a win.

8 Ball I went up 2-0 against a 4, he won one I won one, he won one...Hill-Hill...He ran 5 of his balls, missed, then I had a 7 ball run to win it. Frustrating I couldn't curb-stomp anyone this week like I did last week, but the team did well...4-1 in 9 ball, 3-2 in 8 ball...Next week is the last week in this session and every match is going to count...think we may just slip into Titleholders if we go at least 3-2/3-2 next week....fingers crossed anyway.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In our APA league we were told if we had common players they had to pick 1 team to play for. Made it pretty easy. Not sure if you could ask the National Office for their opinion.

Had 9 ball tri cups this weekend. What a disaster. I had 2 teams in it with 5 common players " people that play on both teams. Many people play on more than one team and rules state that common players cannot play if they are on 2 teams that face each other. When that happens you just play whoever is not on both teams the 2 or 3 matches it takes and the winner advances.

So.....our new league operators came up with a solution to prevent the above scenario. They use 2 venues and place one team at one venue and put the other team at the other venue and stagger starting times an hour and a half apart. The venues are only 10 minutes apart with one using valleys and the other has diamonds.

Its a pain the the rear from a logistical standpoint since I am the captain of both teams and cannot be at both at the same time and match who I want and give timeouts.

We started Friday night at 6:30 on the valleys and I threw my 4 vs their 3 and my 4 barely won. Next I threw my 5 vs a 4 and my 5 won 16-4. I sent my 4 to the diamond venue and then I decided not to play there and headed to the other venue and told my co captain" a 3" I wanted my 6 to olay their other 4 and her and my other 3 to play the last 2 matches and for my 5 to stay there and coach the 3's. When they finally arrive at the diamond venue I find out they barely won by 2 points.

So at the second venue my 4 loses to another 4 pretty bad. My 2 wins vs another 2. My 5 wins pretty handily vs a 4. My 6 gets curb stomped by a 9 who my 6 has won every game against in regular session. So we are in sudden death in the last match due to it running late and I play vs 4 who I have to hold to 9 points in order for us to win. That means I have to hold him to less than 5 balls since every ball is 2 points and the 9 is 4 points. I break and run the first rack. Second rack I break and run to the 8 ball and wind up hooking myself behind the 9. I kick and make contact but leave him good. He makes the 8 and 9. Six points for him. He breaks and makes 2 balls...game over.

10:00 this morning back at the valleys ....disaster. My 4 is at national guard drills....my 2 cannot get off work...that leaves 4 players. Its got me a lil peeved but keep my head and lose 55-42 in a 55-46 race vs a 7. My 5 loses vs a 5. I head to the diamonds and learn later my 6 won but having not won enough points to offset the 20 points we had to forfeit in the last match they just forfeited the 4th match also.

Meanwhile at the diamonds. My 5 wins bs another 5. My 2 loses to a 3 that played like a 4. My 5 lost to a 4 that played like a 5....he had a break and run the first rack. So I throw myself and they counter with a 7 . I keep up with him for 2 racks and we are tied at 10-10. Next thing I know the league operator comes over and says she is putting me on a 30 second shot clock. My opponent had went over and complained I was playing slow. That pizzed me off because I was not playing as slow as others had been playing and never were put on the clock. Messed my game up and my opponent won. So we went 2 and out at the diamonds. Went back ti the valleys and just ti shorten this we lost having to forfeit the last match.

I really do not want to go through this again. I have not had a chance to talk with other captains on how they feel about this set up.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am wit ya here brother, Nothing more annoying than 1) not being able to field a legitimate team and 2)Losing to teams you should beat because of #1

I think it is important to look around your league to players from other teams that always show up. When they become available swoop in and grab them. At least 5 of your players should be highly dependable, this means that if they make the commitment to be on the team, they will honor it.

I know, it is hard to do, but even if they are lesser players, you will have less on your mind than if you are playing a full team against the 3 that you could get to show up.

Bummer to hear you didn't do well though...good luck next go round!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wit ya here brother, Nothing more annoying than 1) not being able to field a legitimate team and 2)Losing to teams you should beat because of #1

I think it is important to look around your league to players from other teams that always show up. When they become available swoop in and grab them. At least 5 of your players should be highly dependable, this means that if they make the commitment to be on the team, they will honor it.

I know, it is hard to do, but even if they are lesser players, you will have less on your mind than if you are playing a full team against the 3 that you could get to show up.

Bummer to hear you didn't do well though...good luck next go round!

Agreed. I picked people that want to come each week and that are there for the pool, not the liquor. We have never forfeited or double played anyone. We all show up and shoot pool. It's vastly different than my first session last year.

That being said, I lost my 2nd match of the season on Monday. 56-55 to a 7 (I'm an 8). It was a good back and forth battle but he ran the last rack for the win.

Tuesday I was called to sub and won 5-1 against a 5 (should've had a rackless but missed an easy shot a ball or two before the 8)

Both my 8B and 9B teams are in 1st place. 9B we're first in our division and 2nd in city, 8B we're tied with one other for first and 4th in the city.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I picked people that want to come each week and that are there for the pool, not the liquor. We have never forfeited or double played anyone. We all show up and shoot pool. It's vastly different than my first session last year.

That being said, I lost my 2nd match of the season on Monday. 56-55 to a 7 (I'm an 8). It was a good back and forth battle but he ran the last rack for the win.

Tuesday I was called to sub and won 5-1 against a 5 (should've had a rackless but missed an easy shot a ball or two before the 8)

Both my 8B and 9B teams are in 1st place. 9B we're first in our division and 2nd in city, 8B we're tied with one other for first and 4th in the city.

Good idea not having heavy drinkers on the team...best guy in our whole league when I joined was a heavy drinker, till half way through league night, then any 4 and up could beat him easily.

I have actually been on my game pretty good the last month, I have lost only 1 match, to the best 7 (as high as tap goes) in my league in the past month plus...hill-hill I dogged a 9 and left it hangin...Beat him in 8 ball that night though. Including that match I am like 10 of my last 11. Our team is 1 game out of third in 9 ball and 1 game into third in 8 ball...with 1 week to go, hoping to come in strong this week and seal both up...though we will need a little help on the 9 ball side.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea not having heavy drinkers on the team...best guy in our whole league when I joined was a heavy drinker, till half way through league night, then any 4 and up could beat him easily.

I have actually been on my game pretty good the last month, I have lost only 1 match, to the best 7 (as high as tap goes) in my league in the past month plus...hill-hill I dogged a 9 and left it hangin...Beat him in 8 ball that night though. Including that match I am like 10 of my last 11. Our team is 1 game out of third in 9 ball and 1 game into third in 8 ball...with 1 week to go, hoping to come in strong this week and seal both up...though we will need a little help on the 9 ball side.

LOL, we had a girl/lady on our team that we had to play first because she would get hammered. I mean fall down almost stab me in the eye twice with her stick hammered. I complained to our LO who she is friends with and the response was "we don't get into team dynamics", after that I dropped that battle and figured I'd find a way. Two weeks later she got hammered and grabbed some guy at the bar and was hanging all over him, just happens one of her employees (her and her husband own a local company) was at the bar and he was texting this lady's husband a play by play.

She quit the league the next day.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to the guys above for the advice.

Played 9 ball vs a 5 in a 46-38 race tonight. I won the lag and was doing pretty good the first 5 racks. And I broke all racks. My opponent broke the 6th rack and between having a darn good brake and catching a gear the game got out of hand quick.

I lost 38-39.y opponent broke every rack from the 6th on. He made 2-3 balls almost every rack I think I could be a 7 if I had her break...yea a girl .

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...that session is over. I was pleased with my 8 ball play, finished 11-5. Finished 9 ball 10-8...so a winning record in both. I won both of my matches tonight 4-1 in 8 and 4-1 in 9. We finished the evening winning 9 ball 4-1 and losing 8 ball 2-3. However both were enough to qualify us for titleholders. We do have a pretty good team and I am pretty excited about this run at it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I post the results from Sunday night I want to clarify that I know very well that every dog has his day and even I have been the recipient of a lucky roll here and there.

Now on to my Sunday night 8 ball game vs another 5 in a 4-4 race. The dude shot amazing ...played quite a few safes and.....got more rolls than the Pillsbury dough boy. After he jumped out to a 3-0 lead I really buckled down and started playing more safes than he was and finally got it to hill- hill. In the 7th rack I broke dry and he ran 6 balls missing his last one. I ran 3 and elected to play safe cause I saw no way to run out due to a cluster of 3 balls. I made sure my last free ball hit a rail and drifted the cue ball freezing it up against my cluster. He jacked up and kicked down rail at warp speed sending the cue ball up table....past his last ball ...hitting the top rail and the cue ball hit his ball on the way back down table. His ball hits my cluster ...bounces off and veers into the side pocket leaving him an easy out on a hanging 8 ball. His whole team starts laughing and giving him high 5's. I just stand there in disbelief thinking....wtf ??

So i sit down after shaking his hand ....hoping I get a shot at him in 9 ball. Finally gets to the last match and they decide to throw their other 5 who had not played yet. So I get up and decide to take my frustration out on him in a 46-38 race with me going to 46. So I win the lag and get ready to break and then an idea pops into my head. I was thinking back to that 5 I played Friday night who is a girl that plays damn good and has a damn good 9 ball break. I have mentioned on here several times I have a team mate that is a girl at a skill level 3 with a better 9 ball break than me. So I decide to break like a girl....meaning quit trying to kill the cue ball every time I break and just focus on hitting the one ball square and solid. My break worked damn good ....never scratched and made one or two balls every break. I won 46-19. If this keeps up maybe reaching a 7 is in my future. Oh yea....went back to my revo Sunday night also. Still waiting on my meuccj carbon pro...should receive it by the end of the month.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Recently ive been giving serious thought to joining a league

The start time is not great
Not thrilled about traveling either due to family commitments

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to try to put last night in a positive light and not doin like one of those league haters ..lol

Well...also about Friday night also. I played 2 different 9' s in 9 ball my last 2 matches . I always try to match up against the other teams best but realm thinking about changing my strategy....not so much because o get the chit beat out of me bit more to do with it hurts the team.

Why put myself out there to be a 9's rack boy and lose 20-0 and 17-3 when I can dump a 3 that does not win any matches no matter who I throw her against including most 2's who she hated to play anyway. She has even suggested I dump her on them. Also hate their nit picking over racking also. I fot tired of one complaining and told him i was not spending 5 damn minutes trying to get balls froze with a worn out plastic rack and he seemed to have no problem breaking and running damn near every rack regardless of how I racked. He had 5 break and runs in a 75-14 win against me and complained about my racking every damn rack.

The other 9 was just as bad last night with 4 break and runs in a 75-18 win. I always try to give a good rack and never get any complaints except from a few ....mostly 9's . Hell even 8's dont complain about my racking.

I am a believer in to get better you need to play better players but this constant complaining from them gets old real quick. Besides why cost my team a 17-3 loss when I can dump on them and then make the points up by jumping on their low level player ? It kills my team for me to lose 17-3 to their 9 and my 3 lose 18-2 to their 2.

Now on to something a helluva lot of people complain about and a first for me in my 10 years of playing apa. A 48 inning 8 ball match ! yea that's right...48 damn innings for one of my 3's to win 3-1. Un friggin believable ! I have seen some go 28-30 but never have I seen 48 in my life until last night.

In 8 ball I won 4-1 vs another 5 Friday night and lost 4-3 vs a 5 last night. I basically gave him 2 racks by lousy leaves on my part . Still getting used to the revo. Speaking of carbon fiber shafts. I hit a couple dozen balls last night with my friends meuccie carbon pro. I love it. Hits softer than the revo which helps cue ball control. I ordered one last month and should receive it in a few weeks.