Amazing snooker frame

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXoxnpiVdzA

This is the deciding frame of a race to 9 between Neil Robertson and Mark Shelby in the afternoon of the Tour Championship. The frame takes more than an hour, as it is an exquisite battle of safeties and tactics. May be the most engrossing cue sports game I've ever seen. And how it comes out in the end? You'll have to find that out for yourself, although you can always fast forward on youtube.

In a related story, Ronnie is up to 1003 centuries after the first session of HIS at match against Stuart Bingham, which he leads 6-2.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I've been watching so much more.snooker lately. It's a nice break from all the straight pool I watch.

On a side question, who is pool's equivalent of Stuart Bingham? Complete journey man turned world champion.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonderful frame of snooker and top notch attitude from both players at the end.

Did you happen to catch the second session of the Trump-O'Sullivan match? It was incredible - it had everything. A comeback, some brilliant breaks, a foul, an amazing fluke, some horrendous luck, a complete choke shot, and it all came down to the final ball.

A completely brilliant match, IMO.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you happen to catch the second session of the Trump-O'Sullivan match? It was incredible - it had everything. A comeback, some brilliant breaks, a foul, an amazing fluke, some horrendous luck, a complete choke shot, and it all came down to the final ball.

A completely brilliant match, IMO.

Yes, yet another brilliant match. The standard, in terms of excitement and tension, has been set so high the final could be both brilliant and a bit of an anti-climax.

okrad

Thanks for the link. I've been watching so much more.snooker lately. It's a nice break from all the straight pool I watch.

On a side question, who is pool's equivalent of Stuart Bingham? Complete journey man turned world champion.

Possibly Daryl Peach?

Wouldn't exactly call him a journeyman tho, but seems comparable in regards to overall success in the game.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched most of the matches. I used to play a lot of snooker in my younger days as all pool halls had at least one table, some had multiple tables. A fun but very difficult game when on a 6 x 12. These guys are amazing really.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXoxnpiVdzA

This is the deciding frame of a race to 9 between Neil Robertson and Mark Shelby in the afternoon of the Tour Championship. The frame takes more than an hour, as it is an exquisite battle of safeties and tactics. May be the most engrossing cue sports game I've ever seen. And how it comes out in the end? You'll have to find that out for yourself, although you can always fast forward on youtube.

In a related story, Ronnie is up to 1003 centuries after the first session of HIS at match against Stuart Bingham, which he leads 6-2.

Kind of makes 9-Ball look like a joke. Some observations - Both players look great dressed in all black, and both look very fit as well. They really stay down on the ball, no body movement at all when they're stroking the cue ball. Amazing control of that little cue ball, both in speed and use of "side." They both were able to hit the edge of an object ball from distance as well as any Three Cushion player.

The referee here is very active as well. He does an excellent job of following the path of the cue ball when necessary. I like the way he moves around the table to see the shots. How in the world they replace the cue ball on fouls I don't know. That is one strange rule.

One more thing - The commentary is excellent by Phil Yates and Neal Foulds.

After watching this, I can see why One Pocket has become so popular here. It is also a very intricate game (like Snooker) with many options available to a good player. The complexity of One Pocket is what makes it so interesting to play and watch.

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of makes 9-Ball look like a joke. Some observations - Both players look great dressed in all black, and both look very fit as well. They really stay down on the ball, no body movement at all when they're stroking the cue ball. Amazing control of that little cue ball, both in speed and use of "side." They both were able to hit the edge of an object ball from distance as well as any Three Cushion player.

The referee here is very active as well. He does an excellent job of following the path of the cue ball when necessary. I like the way he moves around the table to see the shots. How in the world they replace the cue ball on fouls I don't know. That is one strange rule.

One more thing - The commentary is excellent by Phil Yates and Neal Foulds.

After watching this, I can see why One Pocket has become so popular here. It is also a very intricate game (like Snooker) with many options available to a good player. The complexity of One Pocket is what makes it so interesting to play and watch.

IMO, snooker combines the best elements of straight pool and the silly rotation games. While 3C is the game I play, snooker is far and away my favorite cue game to watch. I've been to the 3C world championship in person, and someday I hope to see the snooker WC in Sheffield.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tied at 8-8 going into the final session.

Frame 17. A 129 for RO to take the lead 9-8.

Frame 18. At 53-36 Robertson, they play a passel of safeties on the yellow until RO leaves a good shot for NR. 9-9.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frame 19. Ronnie runs 48 and has to play safe. After several safeties, Neil misses a slow roller to the middle and Ronnie takes it.

10-9 O'Sullivan

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frame 20 to Robertson. He got his points in 4 scoring innings following 3 misses and a poor safety by O'Sullivan.

10-10. They're on a break.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frame 21. A win for RO after he could have given it away about 3 times.

11-10 O'Sullivan.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frame 23. Niel won after Ronnie broke the pack wide open but had no easy shot and missed a black.

12-11 RO

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Frame 24. Ronnie posts a break of 96 after Niel looked to be in good position for a big run but missed a black.

13-11 win for the champion.