Room layout/7' vs 9'

mcfly1955

Registered
Hi,

I bought a 7' 3 piece slate Brunswick furniture table in December.

I'm playing on it myself or with kids almost daily, and have a group coming once a month to play. I'm really enjoying the game, and see myself playing for years to come.

I went with 7' and 3 piece slate because I looked at the room calcs and read that people are annoyed with obstructions, so I went with the 7' and my room allows full play with no obstacles on any shots.

I think I would enjoy playing on a 9 footer more -- less traffic, longer shots, etc - but there would be a few places where shots may be obstructed by 2 skinny support columns (I don't think I want to get into the possibility of moving those at this time).

I could trade in and upgrade to a 9' Gold Crown for an additional $1800-$2000 (delivered/installed/and removal of existing table included).

Here is my room layout - what would your preference be?

7' furniture table with no obstacles...or 9' Gold Crown with a few problem areas and throwing out another $1800?

Other considerations - I play with my small children a lot, so a 9 footer will be giant for them, but they'll grow into it...

Attachments

• room.png
    room.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want 14 x 18 feet for a 9 footer. You are real close so I'd say go for it. I had a 9 footer in a similar sized area (13' 4" wide) and it was fine. I rarely had to bring out the short stick. Its pretty unusual to be stuck on the side rail and have to shoot directly across the table.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're having fun…. I'd stick with what you have. Too many obstacles there for my taste.

JMHO

td

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the hurry? Stay with what you have until the kids get bigger. Beginners like to play on a table where they can make shots often. After a few years you may have a better idea of what you really need. An 8 footer may be a compromise.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Having no obstructions is always best!
I could link ya to my thread about removing my lally column! Haha
A lotta work but worth it for my Diamond 9'er!
Otherwise staying with the 7' for now is my vote.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like you’ll have a couple of little problem areas in two of the diagonal corners, but not bad. For a difference of 2K, upgrading to the 9’ gold crown is a no brainer. Playability, you cannot compare the 7 foot furniture style Brunswick, regardless of the price, to a 9 foot gold crown!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
At least your laundry is close, so when multiple obstacles drain your desire to play, you'll have a nice place to sort and fold clothes.

As enjoyable as playing a 9'er can be, I think you should keep what you have.

"Think of the children!" - Helen Lovejoy

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Having no obstructions is always best!
I could link ya to my thread about removing my lolly column! Haha
A lotta work but worth it for my Diamond 9'er!
Otherwise staying with the 7' for now is my vote.

I'd like to see that. Did you consult a structural engineer? I got friends in construction that say it's no problem. All I can think if I don't have a structural engineer sign off on a good plan and something goes wrong with the House, I'm up the proverbial creek.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I'd like to see that. Did you consult a structural engineer? I got friends in construction that say it's no problem. All I can think if I don't have a structural engineer sign off on a good plan and something goes wrong with the House, I'm up the proverbial creek.

I would like to see that, also.

And yes, a stamped drawing by a SE is imperative.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a frequent debate and its seems the forum is split, 7ft with room or 9ft cramped. I would take a cramped 9fter any day. As mentioned, its surprising how infrequently the poles get in the way.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I had an engineer size up the steel.
Then (after the other footers were to small)...also size the new footers I had to dig for the columns that were staying.
I did everything else. Shame it was August! Lol
I will find the post. It was on a construction type web site. Don't think I put on AZB?
Hadn't found you guys yet.
This is the thread. Not as good without the pictures. I must've changed something on Photo Bucket? They aren't showing.
Just my long write up without pics.
https://www.diychatroom.com/f19/basement-pole-lally-column-removal-83852/
Here's a link to some pictures. Construction and finished if you feel like scrolling through them.
https://s328.photobucket.com/user/9andout/library/Basement?sort=3&page=1
Seems like the link is working. Memory lane for me ugh. lol. (10 yrs. younger too!)

Last edited: