Standard Gold Crown 1 Pockets

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
throughout history pool table had those size pockets. ...
If you look further back in history you will find accounts of big matches that included negotiation of how large the pockets would be due to the varying skills of the two players.

I think pockets in the 1930s were smaller than the 1970s, but I wasn't there in the 1930s to notice.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I believe a better point is at the intersection of the rail grooves for the corner pockets. I think your point is farther from the pocket than that. The are both on the 45-degree centerline of the pocket.
I agree that's a better corner pocket target, especially as you get farther from the pocket's 45-degree centerline (such as a down-the-rail shot), where the difference can be an inch in a generous pocket.

But without the donut, isn't between the points easier to visualize (and maybe adjust from there)?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree that's a better corner pocket target, especially as you get farther from the pocket's 45-degree centerline (such as a down-the-rail shot), where the difference can be an inch in a generous pocket.

But without the donut, isn't between the points easier to visualize (and maybe adjust from there)?

pj
chgo
Maybe.

For easy visualization, it's good to have worn cloth so you can actually see the rail groove in the jaws of the corner pockets.

For the side pockets, the point between the points is not a bad target but I think it is a few millimeters farther from pocket than the ideal. On most side pockets, the center is a few mm from the brink. This will depend some on the pocket drop and speed of the shot.