Jack for home barbox maintenance?

mcfly1955

Registered
Hi all,

I recently had a valley installed in my home- 7' with simonis.

It's in the basement and looking ahead if things slightly settle/shift or needs slight tweaking, does anyone have any recommendations for what I should have on hand to assist?

For leveling I feel like I'd just need a machinist level and some sort of jack - does anyone have a jack they recommend, or some other method?

I wasn't around when they were leveling the table and can't really seem to find videos of the leg leveling process on YouTube.

Thanks

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you use a car type Jack, put a 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 on top of the jack to keep from damaging your wood. Then when i level the legs, I always start with end-to-end first. Then do the side to side leveling. I never bothered with a level, since I don't have a machinist level. I just roll billiard balls to check for level.

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"If you use a car type Jack, put a 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 on top of the jack to keep from damaging your wood. "

This,
1 ton bottle jack at Harbor Freight for under 20 bucks.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
If you use a car type Jack, put a 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 on top of the jack to keep from damaging your wood. Then when i level the legs, I always start with end-to-end first. Then do the side to side leveling. I never bothered with a level, since I don't have a machinist level. I just roll billiard balls to check for level.

Agreed, levels are not that effective. Best to roll the ball and note where it STARTS to veer. It's rarely a single leg level job, the point is balancing the table.

jshaw

Registered
I've watched guys use a two wheel dolly to lift up the side of the table while they used their foot to turn the leveler. They positioned three short torpedo levels, one at each end and one in the middle. It took them just a few minutes to get tables perfectly level without a lot of work.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same issue with my Gold Crown. I live in an area that has expansive soils so my house moves a bit from season to season. What I did was buy some heavy duty lazy susan turntable bearings. I think the ones I got had a capacity of 1200# each. I put them under the legs of the table. They allow me to adjust the legs (screw the legs in our out) without having to jack the table up.

mcfly1955

Registered
I have the same issue with my Gold Crown. I live in an area that has expansive soils so my house moves a bit from season to season. What I did was buy some heavy duty lazy susan turntable bearings. I think the ones I got had a capacity of 1200# each. I put them under the legs of the table. They allow me to adjust the legs (screw the legs in our out) without having to jack the table up.

That sounds cool - have you posted any pics of this?

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds cool - have you posted any pics of this?

No I have not. Here is one. The galvanized steel ring you see between the bottom of the leg and the wood floor is the bearing.

Attachments

• Table Leg Post.jpg
    Table Leg Post.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 152