Need Opinions on LD shafts

Grandslam

Registered
Have used Lucasi LD Hybrid shaft for 2 years and am generally pleased but wanting to try out other LD shafts. I like a stiff hit. Was thinking about Predator 314-3 shaft. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have used Lucasi LD Hybrid shaft for 2 years and am generally pleased but wanting to try out other LD shafts. I like a stiff hit. Was thinking about Predator 314-3 shaft. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.
First day here?? Seriously, just use the search function to find all you want to know and then some. This subject has been discussed a zillion times here. FWIW, i like the Lucasi's hit better. Pred. may deflect a tad less but i think they feel dead. Just my $.02 worth.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you want to try other shafts, does it really matter what you start with? One thing to avoid if you like a stiff hit is the OB shafts with wood ferrule, those have a softer hit.

The Revo has a nice still hit (but not a jarring feel like you are hitting with a metal bar), of-course availability and price are an issue there. Cuetec will have a new carbon fiber shaft out soon also that may be work trying, again based on price.

Your best bet to find something you like is to bug your pool buddies to try their stuff. Shafts are such a personal preference that it is tough to find two players that agree on what to try if you can only try one, not even counting all the tip options you have.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Mezz has low deflection shafts that hit more firm and have more feel than Predator. A lot more feel.

Mezz also has the best build quality of any production cue on the market. To get better, you have to go custom. And honestly, there's some custom cue makers who are not as precise...but that's another topic.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

I'm playing with the Jacoby Hybrids the old ones. There are new updated ones that said to play better however
I haven't hit with them. Its said they are nice stiff playing shafts. I've very happy with them. Very consistent.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Mezz Ex Pro has a nice stiff hit to it and out of the Predator Products I liked the Vantage. I've always like the Ultra X LD and X pro from Tiger also.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Your best bet to find something you like is to bug your pool buddies to try their stuff. Shafts are such a personal preference that it is tough to find two players that agree on what to try if you can only try one, not even counting all the tip options you have.
I also recommend this approach. Even better is if you can try a used cue that someone is selling because even if your buddy's X666 shaft from TheDevilsOwn Cue Company hits perfectly, there is no guarantee a different one will hit the same.

A small problem with that is that much of what players perceive as the "hit" of the cue is determined by the tip. A hit can go from "sweet" to "like breaking glass" with a tip change.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with a Mezz or OB..... I like Both a lot. I recently did switch from OB to Mezz. I can say they both hit well and provide some of the best low deflection characteristics.

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't go wrong with any of the Mezz shafts. I personally like the WX700 best.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
So what about the shafts you don't play with?

The Hybrids that I'm playing with are the only LD's Ive ever had.

So what do you guys do with the ones you aren't playing with?

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Mezz has low deflection shafts that hit more firm and have more feel than Predator. A lot more feel.

Mezz also has the best build quality of any production cue on the market. To get better, you have to go custom. And honestly, there's some custom cue makers who are not as precise...but that's another topic.

2ND on the Mezz. They are tough to beat.