simonis in the washer?

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting in touch with my inner home-ec.

I saved some Simonis HR after a table refelt and thought i'd keep it in case some craft project came to mind.
Question about cleaning it now that i have no intention of using it for a pool table anymore?
Anyone have any experience or thoughts with this?
I know wool is super durable, can i just follow normal wool washing instructions?
Cold water, gentle cycle, wool detergent, air dry?
Might try with just a couple of swatches first.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting in touch with my inner home-ec.

I saved some Simonis HR after a table refelt and thought i'd keep it in case some craft project came to mind.
Question about cleaning it now that i have no intention of using it for a pool table anymore?
Anyone have any experience or thoughts with this?
I know wool is super durable, can i just follow normal wool washing instructions?
Cold water, gentle cycle, wool detergent, air dry?
Might try with just a couple of swatches first.
Its just wool. Nothing magic about it. Use Woolite and just pretend its a sweater.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play a lot of rotation games its not a bad idea to use break mats made with the old cloth. Your new cloth will last longer and look better.

How big of a break mat do you use? I use 6x6 square, and I still get burn marks running off the pad onto the green felt. Not a big deal, but I thought the break pad would help.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play a lot of rotation games its not a bad idea to use break mats made with the old cloth. Your new cloth will last longer and look better.

Thanks. This cloth is still in great shape, but the table was being moved and the price difference from moving and recloth vs just moving didn't make sense to not just get new cloth.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
A customer of mine received a new cut of Granito cloth from a third party. The cloth had some mysterious stains, despite being a new cut of cloth. He threw it in his clothes washer, and dried it on a line. The stains were removed, with no ill effects to the cloth.

In regards to break patches, try using a dollar bill. Paper (cloth) money is thinner than table cloth, so it compresses less. When you break, a typical break patch will compress, acting as a springboard. This can cause the cue ball to bounce more on its way to the rack, leading to excessive burn marks on your table.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In regards to break patches, try using a dollar bill. Paper (cloth) money is thinner than table cloth, so it compresses less. When you break, a typical break patch will compress, acting as a springboard. This can cause the cue ball to bounce more on its way to the rack, leading to excessive burn marks on your table.

Interesting. I will definitely give it a try next time I recover...the scrap of cloth really didnt do anything for burn marks. Thanks for the tip!:thumbup:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I often wondered if ladies who make quilts would like old cloth...

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
One of the first pool halls I frequented would use the old cloth to refinish bench and seat cushions. They always turned out very nice and lasted for quite a while.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Break pads alter the break enough to seem totally absurd to me. The only nearly functional break pad I’ve used is the one made by Outsville, which is made of the same material as the Accu-Rack. I’ve never subscribed to the idea of “protecting” your table so that it will play poorly 100% of the time.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Pool table cloth aprons.

Oh, so that's what I've been doing.

Might make some nice pillows? Seriously though.. Aprons. The waitresses would love them and they would look poolish. A full kitchen version would be nice too.

I do know a pro apron maker if it helps.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Interesting. I will definitely give it a try next time I recover...the scrap of cloth really didnt do anything for burn marks. Thanks for the tip!:thumbup:

How about not breaking at 8, 9, or 10-ball at all on your home table.
Straight pool, one pocket, or drills will greatly lengthen the life of your cloth.

In the golden age of 14.1, the grand billiard palaces did not allow the brutal breaking games
on their main tables.

Last edited: