Dreaming of starting up a pool hall

Catwalk

I'm an enthusiastic pool player from the beautiful country of Denmark, where pool is a relatively small sport. I live in a town of about 30k citizens which only has a handful of tables and no more than 2 in the same place. I have been daydreaming for a while now about having my own poolhall. Take all of this as brainstorming, I'm not decided on whether or not to do it and I'm not sure if it's in any way feasible. I'm currently working odd jobs and would be able to save maybe $10k over the next year. I would be able to keep those jobs if I were to run a poolhall, supplementing my income and making me less vulnerable to the risks of this venture.

What I'm hoping to do is make a poolhall with low prices and really good management of expenses. Hopefully I can get a lot of used stuff to set up with. Location could be less central for low rent, and I'd want a small room for around 6 tables. The market for pool is not big here, so I doubt more than 6 tables would be worth it.

Me and my wife can cook fairly well and cheaply, so we hope to have something to offer there. I want it to be kid friendly and am planning on serving reasonably healthy food rather than traditional junk. Beer and soda will be sold, not planning on selling liquor or cigarettes. I'm not interested in slot machines either.

I have a lot of experience with community management and tournaments, and I'm hoping to build a loyal customer base. I'm trying to start up a small local league in the near future, hoping that will give me an impression of the market potential and a network to start from. I moved to this town 2 years ago, having lived in a larger town with an established pool community. The focus in my poolhall will be on attracting social players who want to go somewhere cheap to have fun with their friends, as well as beginners who are interested in learning how to play properly. The concept is to have a place where people can go to shoot a game of pool with the owner, flirt with his wife and get a nice home-cooked meal, all at low cost. The activity level will be high, and I will be doing a lot of network advertising and promotion.

I want to run this mostly alone (with my wife helping out serving and cooking), I think one part-time employee with around 20 hours a week will suffice. I'm toying with the idea of living in the same building, if a suitable location can be found. Since I'll be spending crazy hours there, that might help keep my marriage from going south :)

My credentials are a bright head, an outgoing nature and a passion for pool. I've done some business management in college and feel confident about managing my own business provided it's planned out properly and set up right. That said, I'm quite the newbie at this.

I'm trying to come up with a list of necessities for setup and a list of running expenses to take into account. This is what they look like at present, please help me fill the blanks:

SETUP
6 pool tables
6 table lamps
a few room lamps
6 cheap sets of balls
2 good sets of balls
chalk
cue repair kit
15 house cues
3 (cheap) regular cues for rent
6 small cafe tables
2 large cafe tables
20 chairs
1 counter
1 refrigerator for display
1 refrigerator for storage
1 cash register
1 credit card terminal
kitchen facilities (hopefully included in the lease)
dish washer
glasses, plates and silverware
phone

RUNNING EXPENSES (excluding items for sale)
staff wages
rent
utilities
cleaning supplies
advertising
misc office and administration expenses
table and cue maintenance
misc maintenance

Any and all advice and criticism appreciated!

Last edited:

Catwalk

I decided to put up some flyers down at the place with 2 tables advertising for people to play with and maybe establishing a small informal league. Turns out they're already trying to start up tournaments, just don't have any clue how. So I'm a tournament leader now :)

Catwalk

I'd like feedback on some ideas for payment options. 5 kroner = 1$, but don't worry too much about exact prices. Thinking more about feedback on the whole structure of it, the price level can be raised or lowered ($10-$15 per hour for a table is common here, most things cost more). Hourly rates are indicated for day/evening, switching to evening around 17:00 or so. Would this be too confusing

Payment system:
2x 7" coin tables with big pockets, for amateur players. Cost 10 kroner per game. Games will go faster, leading to more money spent.
3x 8" tables, for regular players. Costs 30/40 kroner per hour.
1x 9" table with tight pockets, for serious players. Costs 45/60 kroner per hour.
2x 6" kid's tables. Low quality and a bit shorter so they can reach the table. Cost 15/20 kroner per hour. Only kids below 15 allowed before 17:00.

Maybe 1/3 off the price if you're playing alone before 17:00.

A 30 day membership costs 500 kroner and gives free play* on all non-coin tables, along with 400 kroner worth of credits towards any purchase of food or drink. A 180 day membership can be purchased for 2400 kroner, 20% discount. Credits may not be given away, but you're allowed to buy stuff for your friends. This rewards players who come here often to play as well as buy stuff. If explained properly, would this be doable or too confusing? It'd be easy for me to keep track of in an Excel spreadsheet and verify with ID as needed.
* = free play guaranteed until 18:00. After 18:00 the table may be taken away after an hour of play if a non-member wishes to play and there's no table available. If you're playing with 1 or more non-member friend, your membership only covers half of the table rent.

Various discounts throughout the week, I particularly like date night. But I'm dreading the prospect of every player in the room turning gay for the night, as I don't plan on discriminating :)

The kid's tables are a wild idea. I both want to encourage kids to come here on their own and I want parents to feel it's a place where they can bring kids.

Last edited:

Trent

Banned
id get rid of the 8 footers and stick with 9 ft tables and barboxes the one kids table might be a good idea but in no way would you need 2 of them. 4 7 footers and 3 nine footers with the kids table on the side out of the way would work or 4 of each if possible that way you could at least run small tournamemts.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
id get rid of the 8 footers and stick with 9 ft tables and barboxes the one kids table might be a good idea but in no way would you need 2 of them. 4 7 footers and 3 nine footers with the kids table on the side out of the way would work or 4 of each if possible that way you could at least run small tournamemts.

3 best bars in town have 8footers :D all very nice diamonds. :thumbup:

Catwalk

As fate would have it, a poolhall opened this Thursday. I should pay more attention to local rumours :) Plan B is trying to help them succeed and landing a small job with them. Their main problem now is getting customers, and I suspect that the outside is a bit too unwelcoming for walk-ins. I've suggested launching a small tournament to attract attention and get people to talk to their friends about it. Any good ideas for early efforts at building up a solid customer base?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
room

if you want to open a pool room you have to have good equipment, call diamond about there financing.. something like 3--or--4 dollars a day per table... with little maintenance the diamond tables will last a long time' I'm talking 100 years long time...used old tables never work out in a business.....
nothing wrong with tournament used diamonds.......give diamond a call and check out there web site'
more later'
-
Rob.M

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I'm an enthusiastic pool player from the beautiful country of Denmark, where pool is a relatively small sport. I live in a town of about 30k citizens which only has a handful of tables and no more than 2 in the same place. I have been daydreaming for a while now about having my own poolhall. Take all of this as brainstorming, I'm not decided on whether or not to do it and I'm not sure if it's in any way feasible. I'm currently working odd jobs and would be able to save maybe $10k over the next year. I would be able to keep those jobs if I were to run a poolhall, supplementing my income and making me less vulnerable to the risks of this venture.

What I'm hoping to do is make a poolhall with low prices and really good management of expenses. Hopefully I can get a lot of used stuff to set up with. Location could be less central for low rent, and I'd want a small room for around 6 tables. The market for pool is not big here, so I doubt more than 6 tables would be worth it.

Me and my wife can cook fairly well and cheaply, so we hope to have something to offer there. I want it to be kid friendly and am planning on serving reasonably healthy food rather than traditional junk. Beer and soda will be sold, not planning on selling liquor or cigarettes. I'm not interested in slot machines either.

I have a lot of experience with community management and tournaments, and I'm hoping to build a loyal customer base. I'm trying to start up a small local league in the near future, hoping that will give me an impression of the market potential and a network to start from. I moved to this town 2 years ago, having lived in a larger town with an established pool community. The focus in my poolhall will be on attracting social players who want to go somewhere cheap to have fun with their friends, as well as beginners who are interested in learning how to play properly. The concept is to have a place where people can go to shoot a game of pool with the owner, flirt with his wife and get a nice home-cooked meal, all at low cost. The activity level will be high, and I will be doing a lot of network advertising and promotion.

I want to run this mostly alone (with my wife helping out serving and cooking), I think one part-time employee with around 20 hours a week will suffice. I'm toying with the idea of living in the same building, if a suitable location can be found. Since I'll be spending crazy hours there, that might help keep my marriage from going south :)

My credentials are a bright head, an outgoing nature and a passion for pool. I've done some business management in college and feel confident about managing my own business provided it's planned out properly and set up right. That said, I'm quite the newbie at this.

I'm trying to come up with a list of necessities for setup and a list of running expenses to take into account. This is what they look like at present, please help me fill the blanks:

SETUP
6 pool tables
6 table lamps
a few room lamps
6 cheap sets of balls
2 good sets of balls
chalk
cue repair kit
15 house cues
3 (cheap) regular cues for rent
6 small cafe tables
2 large cafe tables
20 chairs
1 counter
1 refrigerator for display
1 refrigerator for storage
1 cash register
1 credit card terminal
kitchen facilities (hopefully included in the lease)
dish washer
glasses, plates and silverware
phone

RUNNING EXPENSES (excluding items for sale)
staff wages
rent
utilities
cleaning supplies
advertising
misc office and administration expenses
table and cue maintenance
misc maintenance

Any and all advice and criticism appreciated!

I own a room, and I wish you all the luck in the world following your dream. That is what I did and it has been rewarding on many levels, and I think you are on the right track by running a room with little to staff. My room is also family and kid friendly and I enjoy the atmosphere that developed do to this arraignment.

But, I would also focus on retail sales of cues, cases, and accessories. In addition cue repair can be also make you a great deal of money and hanging around your room all day will give you the time to do it yourself. If you are not experienced in cue repair you can learn, there are many books and DVDs that you can purchase that will get you started, and maintaining your house cues will give you plenty work to hone your shills upon!:D

Good Luck and have a great day.