Why don't APA players don't like playing pool?

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a big end of summer season APA meeting yesterday in a poolroom yesterday afternoon to give out patches won and discuss the playoffs and the upcoming season. There had to be at least 40-50 people there, all APA members. The league operator announced he will have a cash and prize tournament after the meeting, $25 entry, modified elimination. To be honest that's the only reason I came. Meetings bore me.
ONLY TWO PEOPLE SIGNED UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT, ME AND ONE OTHER!!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a big end of summer season APA meeting yesterday in a poolroom yesterday afternoon to give out patches won and discuss the playoffs and the upcoming season. There had to be at least 40-50 people there, all APA members. The league operator announced he will have a cash and prize tournament after the meeting, $25 entry, modified elimination. To be honest that's the only reason I came. Meetings bore me.

guess they all had more important things to do ? :eek:

we have sorta the same thing happen in our area when it comes to singles qualifying boards.

you only need 6 people to hold one and i cant tell you how many are cancelled due to lack of entries.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
They are worried ,all that work to keep the Handicap down ,, could be wasted if they win. It's true!!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

If they made it a $5 entry, which is closer to what they are usually paying, for league fees, you probably would have had a full house. Most folks know they are dead money, they just don't want to be robbed while donating ;)

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
only one friend there had the right excuse. He said if he entered the tournament he wouldn't be able to make the Saturday night tournament at Mr Cue in Lindenhurst.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps because they are ball bangers who don't feel like donating $25 dollars to good players.

My impression of my brief time in the APA was it is a league for people who want to joke around, drink alcohol and shoot some pool.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All summer (BCA) the LO provided tables for a table Wednesday nights for a small tourney. Entry was $5-10 bucks and there was probably 30-35 players. Move that up to $25, you would have had no torney at all. That's pretty steep for league players.

The problem is the same as for most pool players ....no bankroll and no heart. Add to that no game either and you don't have even one of the 3 requirements to compete. Pretty sad what's happening to pool.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If they made it a $5 entry, which is closer to what they are usually paying, for league fees, you probably would have had a full house. Most folks know they are dead money, they just don't want to be robbed while donating ;)

This is the correct answer.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think league players by their nature are not inclined to put up money and play for it. They also probably didn't want to commit to hanging around for hours playing in a tournament. I hate that myself and if I had anything else to do would have probably passed on playing.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That is foreign to me, showing up at a pool hall and not playing because of a whole $25.00. 2 weeks ago I donated $45.00 and 12 hours to a 32 man tournament, finished 7th. Yesterday another tournament with some of the same players and a $45.00 entry for 32 man and I got whopped on with 2 straight loses by AA players, I'm just a B but I will donate to the next one. One difference is we don't have APA up here for some reason, only BCA, its probably a good thing.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is the same as for most pool players ....no bankroll and no heart. Add to that no game either and you don't have even one of the 3 requirements to compete. Pretty sad what's happening to pool.
That may more apply to gambling. In small tournaments the attraction "Is" that the player can't really get hurt. It takes no heart to play in a tournament, all they risk is a small one time entry fee.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is foreign to me, showing up at a pool hall and not playing because of a whole $25.00. 2 weeks ago I donated $45.00 and 12 hours to a 32 man tournament, finished 7th. Yesterday another tournament with some of the same players and a $45.00 entry for 32 man and I got whopped on with 2 straight loses by AA players, I'm just a B but I will donate to the next one. One difference is we don't have APA up here for some reason, only BCA, its probably a good thing.
Before leagues became so prevalent the only way for a player to get their rocks off playing was to match up and do a little gambling or play in small tournaments.
Now they get all the competition they want with very little risk to bankroll or ego in league. Leagues have completely changed everything.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. The fact that the APA brought a different group of people to pool. People who might not be willing to throw money around playing pool, its enough to play (and pay) a little each week.

All those people who were willing to spend more money playing pool before the APA came into existence, where did they go? The APA didn't make them go away. You should still be able to find the sorts of folks you used to. Just don't expect the casual league player to be that person.

I love playing pool. I play as much as I can, given my other responsibilies. I only have a limited budget for "play money". I would have to carefully consider a $25 tournament. I have played in some $20 ones (APA tourneys, actually) but I couldn't do it every week. I'm sure many casual players will have similar thoughts and concerns.

Good for you that you can drop $25 into a tourney and not think about it. Or gamble for larger amounts. That's cool, too. The way I read things here, there are still plenty of folks like you out there to play with.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I enjoy donating to higher entry fee tournaments. I play better people most of the time and learn stuff. Usually I go 2 and out, but occasionally I will make it to the 5th or 6th round. I play in 30 to 50 dollar tournaments pretty regular. Plus you get to see lots of good pool.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You actually got it right!!

All summer (BCA) the LO provided tables for a table Wednesday nights for a small tourney. Entry was $5-10 bucks and there was probably 30-35 players. Move that up to $25, you would have had no torney at all. That's pretty steep for league players.

I play tournaments all the time $5 - $10 weekly's and $30-$40 quartiles and $85 -$100 for the big regionals, but for a APA player that more than likely is still learning the game a last minute tournament for $25???

$10 bucks and you would have had a crowd.

It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. The fact that the APA brought a different group of people to pool. People who might not be willing to throw money around playing pool, its enough to play (and pay) a little each week.

All those people who were willing to spend more money playing pool before the APA came into existence, where did they go? The APA didn't make them go away. You should still be able to find the sorts of folks you used to. Just don't expect the casual league player to be that person.

I love playing pool. I play as much as I can, given my other responsibilies. I only have a limited budget for "play money". I would have to carefully consider a $25 tournament. I have played in some $20 ones (APA tourneys, actually) but I couldn't do it every week. I'm sure many casual players will have similar thoughts and concerns.

Good for you that you can drop $25 into a tourney and not think about it. Or gamble for larger amounts. That's cool, too. The way I read things here, there are still plenty of folks like you out there to play with.
APA breeds what we have. Guys that think they are players and won't bet water is wet.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA breeds what we have. Guys that think they are players and won't bet water is wet.

There is an upside. The cash they spend in pool halls helps keep the place in business.

I equate them to new years resolution people at the gym. They mostly quit a few weeks but the membership they pay for helps keep the place in business.