One pocket game question

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I think I understand most of the game, but not 100%. Do you just choose if you want to play solids or stripes in your pocket after the break like 8 ball? Is the 8 ball the final ball you have to make before winning ( 7 solid or 7 stripe plus 8 ball)? Is this right or am I confused? Pardon my ignorance and thanks for the help.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't have to be made in group you can make two stripes one solid, it does not matter.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
They do not have to be made stripes or solid, you can make stripe or solid does not matter.

So you just have to straight up make 8 balls into your pocket? Do you need to call your shot?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An 8 ball style break is not ideal for one pocket.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it's cue ball and one object ball but I may be wrong.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I believe it's cue ball and one object ball but I may be wrong.

Just one ball must touch a rail on the break.
When I started, I used to kick into the side of the pack and leave whitey there....
...it made for a longer game and drove traditionalists nuts.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you just have to straight up make 8 balls into your pocket? Do you need to call your shot?

Go to.... onepocket.org
learn the rules, the game. It's a dedicated forum. Try it ...lurk, ask questions, get started.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. They definitely helped me.

It's fascinating game. If you like it take lessons if no one will teach you. Watch Tube and listen to the commentators. Learn the break, take outs, early game, mid game and end of game. Good luck and enjoy.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you get started you'll need a nice custom cue, a leather case, a pool glove for each hand, a jump stick, a couple LD shafts, special chalk, an extension, a hustlin shirt and a couple tattoos.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Before you get started you'll need a nice custom cue, a leather case, a pool glove for each hand, a jump stick, a couple LD shafts, special chalk, an extension, a hustlin shirt and a couple tattoos.

Ha, well I play with a Jim Pierce and I have some tan Masters chalk...that'll have to do. 👍

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

forgot to mention....pack of smokes and a 6pack.

anyway.... http://www.onepocket.org/getting-started/

also consider getting a copy of Tom Wirth's book..." One Pocket and Game of Controlled Aggression. I started playing 1p a few years ago. It is a puzzle that comes together slowly. The fun of the game...the cat and mouse....turn defense into offense. The Trap...The Runout. Be warned. 1P does not leave the mind. You will constantly be thinking of it. You will constantly be looking for a game. Once you're in there's only one way out... 8 and out.

Last edited:

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the super simplified version-

Each player gets one of the pockets at the bottom of the table.

The object of the game is to pocket 8 balls in your pocket before your opponent.

When breaking, instead of busting the rack wide open, players will use a safe break that drives a few balls to their side while leaving the cueball on the opposite side of the rack to protect them.

The ball numbers are meaningless, and slop counts, so making a ball in your opponent's pocket counts for them, unless you scratch on the same shot. (more on this below)

To be a legal shot, a ball must contact a rail after the cueball contacts an object ball.
Failure to do this is a foul, which results in one of your previously made balls being pulled up and spotted.

If they don't have a ball to spot, it is possible to "owe" a ball, and have a negative score.

A foul also results in any balls made on that shot also being spotted, so sometimes a player will intentionally make a ball for their opponent and scratch, which causes that ball to come up at the expense of one of the shooter's own balls.

Despite the pretty simple rules, the game has the ability to get amazingly complex, and great one pocket shooters tend to be very creative on top of being strong bankers and position players. Other people have also mentioned onepocket.org, which is a great resource with tons of information if you can get past some of the crusties that inhabit it.

It's a fantastic game, give it a shot sometime!