Ronnie O'Sullivan - Technique

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was watching a new episode of Ronnie's show and he gives one of his master class sessions.

In describing hitting screw shots (draw), he says that he uses the same cue speed on all his draw shots (maybe even all his shots), but varies the amount of finger pressure (more pressure on deep screw, almost none on a soft screw). Is this a common snooker technique? Has anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRR9A4ehZC8

Gideon

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I saw the episode too and was surprised by the comment. I've always been under the impression that Ronnie grips very loosely on all shots. I haven't heard of this taught too often, I don't think it's a common technique.

I would think that even at it's tightest, his grip would still be fairly relaxed. Worth a try though.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Masterclass bit on the 28th March Ronnie O'Sullivan show was a replay from an earlier episode. I'm fairly certain that during his feathering, his grip is the textbook loose grip. But as he strikes the white, he alters the pressure of the grip depending on the power of the shot.

One common textbook snooker technique is changing the length of the backswing while maintaining the same cue speed throughout the stroke. For most shots, Ronnie prefers using the same backswing length AND cue speed; the only thing that's changing is the pressure of the grip. When you watch him on the telly you hardly see a difference in the pressure grip when he performs power shots, but you know that it's there--he can deepscrew the ball back with what looks like the same pace he uses for softer screw shots. The trick is to apply the pressure grip at the exact moment the cue hits the white. So really, the key to this technique is TIMING, which Ronnie has an extraordinary gift for.

I tried it out quite recently just for the kicks. To convince myself of his technique, I used a liberal form of his grip: as I reached the end of my backswing, I opened up all my fingers away from the cue, which is only held up firmly by the 'V' between my thumb and forefinger. At the moment of strike I then close all my fingers back around the cue to simulate the pressure grip. While I still find it inconsistent, it nonetheless worked wonders on a snooker table--knocking in table-length straight in shots became much easier. The difficult part was figuring out the pressure grip for different paces of shots. Ultimately I didn't adopt Ronnie's technique because he has a different eye rhythm and natural tempo from mine, both of which are crucial for timing.

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was watching a new episode of Ronnie's show and he gives one of his master class sessions.

In describing hitting screw shots (draw), he says that he uses the same cue speed on all his draw shots (maybe even all his shots), but varies the amount of finger pressure (more pressure on deep screw, almost none on a soft screw). Is this a common snooker technique? Has anyone tried this?

Gideon

I saw the episode too and was surprised by the comment. I've always been under the impression that Ronnie grips very loosely on all shots. I haven't heard of this taught too often, I don't think it's a common technique.

I would think that even at it's tightest, his grip would still be fairly relaxed. Worth a try though.

Pay attention to his demo while he's talking you will see that by say "tight" he mostly mean "tighten up more at the end". Loose at the beginning and different tightness at the end. Hope this help :smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Gideon
There's pretty good evidence that the strength of the grip has very little direct effect on outcome of the shot. If he is hitting the cue ball at the same distance below center and getting different amounts of screw from about the same position, you can be pretty sure that the cue stick is moving at different speeds when it hits the object ball. Or, he might be hitting at different distances below center with the same cue speed.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's pretty good evidence that the strength of the grip has very little direct effect on outcome of the shot. If he is hitting the cue ball at the same distance below center and getting different amounts of screw from about the same position, you can be pretty sure that the cue stick is moving at different speeds when it hits the object ball. Or, he might be hitting at different distances below center with the same cue speed.

Bob,

There are obviously countless videos of Ronnie available. Do you (or Dr. Dave or someone else) have the ability to accurately measure his stroke speed on various shots? If you are right about the physics (and I don't doubt it), then it would be interesting to see if Ronnie is actually hitting the ball with the same speed on every shot (or every draw shot) or if he just thinks he is. Does he, for example, subconsciously hit the ball harder on a deep screw than a soft screw?

To me, the answer is not just relevant to the grip question, because if the best cueist in the world (at least on a table with pockets) actually does hit every shot at the same pace but controls the cue ball only with the height of the hit, that would be a very different approach to the game than I had ever considered. (I assume that even Ronnie is excluding little nudge safeties and perhaps other specialty shots).

Regards,

Gideon

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Steve Davis recommends varying the speed at contact by moving the grip forward (reducing the length of the forearm swing), or backward to the butt (increasing the length of the forearm swing).

The corollary is that a harder hit should have a firm grip at contact, and a soft hit can be made with the cue cradled in the fingers.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would think if you tighten the grip at the last moment it causes the cue to dip down

even more than you were aiming for, hence more 'screw'.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would think if you tighten the grip at the last moment it causes the cue to dip down

even more than you were aiming for, hence more 'screw'.

Yep, I find if I miscue on a draw shot it's usually because I tightened my grip on the last stroke.

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member

Gideon

I do this. This is what my snooker coach told me 25 years ago and it stuck. It became so natural, I don't even notice I'm doing it.