Boring Taig Jaws

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
I've bored my Taig jaws before and got them between .001-.002 at that time. Lately it seems my tips aren't going on as "centered" as before so I checked and they were between .003-.004 now so I tried boring them again. No matter what I do or how much I bore them I can not get then under .002. Here is a pic attached. .... is this acceptable for a Taig lathe or is it possible to get them better ???
2yqybazy.jpg

Lee Casto

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check and make sure your bolts that hold the jaws on are 100% tight and try again.

You are also locking the back part of the jaws before boring?

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Check and make sure your bolts that hold the jaws on are 100% tight and try again.

You are also locking the back part of the jaws before boring?
Tom...... yes on the bolts that hold the jaws on.

No on locking the back part of the jaws. That has already been brought to my attention by another member. Gonna try that and 're do them.

Lee Casto

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lee,

If my memory is right the jaws are reverseable. If so you can turn them around and start from scratch.

Best of luck.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something like these, but for 4 jaw chucks work very well. I just used 4 pieces plastic strip and some paper tap to stop them going everywhere. Keep in mind you can not run the chuck fast with the little blocks, or strips.I put mine on the very front of the jaws,not at the base like the picture shows.
But I have basically given up on the Taig type chucks,and only use one now for the rear support of full length house cues and now use My version of an ER40 collet spindle assembly/headstock. The Taig chuck was only any good at the size I bore it to, otherwise it required adjusting. I did make a mod to the Taig lathe chuck to make it adjustable, but in the end, it was not really any quicker than using a 4 jaw chuck. I was having runout issues of different sizes by about 4 thou(.1mm) sometimes a bit more over the chucks range.I do still have one chuck bored to 30 mm and made a series of 30 mm od sleeves for it, it was very repeatable at that size, better than .02mm most of the time. Now I use those sleeves when required with the ER40 collet spindle.
Neil

Attachments

• 3jaw-chuck-plate.jpg
    3jaw-chuck-plate.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 527067.jpg
    527067.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 527069.jpg
    527069.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 297
Last edited: