epoxy no stick material

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
I am looking for a low buck material I can buy in 2' x5' sheet 1/4 to 1/2" thick that epoxy will not stick to. I know Delrin will work just looking for other options.
Thanks in advance.

John

Stoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RocketQ said:
I am looking for a low buck material I can buy in 2' x5' sheet 1/4 to 1/2" thick that epoxy will not stick to. I know Delrin will work just looking for other options.
Thanks in advance.

John

You might take a look at UHMW (think recycled milk jugs). Excellent for rub strips and the like but I don't like the way it turns - hard to get really smooth if you disturb the manufactured finish.

Regards,
Stoney

Last edited:

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
John, you can find remnants of different sizes in Delrin (Acetal) and UHMW on eBay. the offerings change on a daily basis. Just type in delrin (or acetal) (or UHMW) in the search block.

Walmart or the like probably has kitchen cutting boards made from UHMW. check them out.

J...nobody ever asks me questions like this in the "Army"

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best non stick for epoxy is virgin teflon, PTFE.
There are some epoxyies that will stick to acetel quite well.
Neil

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I don't think epoxy sticks well to wax (paraffin). While it may be difficult to buy a 1/4" x 24" x 60" sheet, it would not be difficult to make a wax coated sheet in that size.

Dave

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Teflon is not low dollar material but it is the best thing I can think of also.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueman said:
Teflon is not low dollar material but it is the best thing I can think of also.
I did not read that he was looking for low dollar solutions. Sorry,But was the best advice I could offer.
For the low dollar route, caranuba wax is the best. It does not effect the curing of the epoxy. It can be applied over cheaper materials like delrin etc, or it can be coated over melamine or the smooth coating that is on Kitchen cabinets and countertops.
I would advise to stay away from silicon based release coats, as some epoxies are effected by the presence of silicone.
The caranuba wax I use is calld Trewax and I get it from the local hardware store. It was used as a floor polish in years past. Not alot of places are stocking it now, less people tend to wax floors I guess.

Neil