Anyone with ADHD? Can't Concentrate Every Shot

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What?... what did you say?.. sorry, guess I wasn't listening to...
where are my keys?.. why did I go into the garage?

:grin::grin:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got that...but we call it DGARA(!!) around these parts.

I'm pretty sure I was born with DGARA.

Matter of fact....click......

Now, I know everyone may not have had the same experience in college as I did, you know?:::::

Make several hundred dollars a week playing pool and all the while, being bugged by those peaky offers from adult film makers.

Yep, I miss those days.....lol

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
ADD and ADHD isn't as simple as that, I have ADD and I have no problem concentrating on stuff I'm interested in, if anything I can have a sharper fokus than most people.
But playing pool for more than a few hours is diminishing returns, atleast for me, not because of ADD, but because I get hungry and just need a break.

Same with me generally, though busy, active environments can be torture. But I can play on my own for countless hours and I set my alarm on my phone to keep me from getting carried away. Meanwhile, sitting down to study or write a paper is a real struggle. I tend to have to give myself plenty of breaks.

But when I am having trouble concentrating at pool or snooker for whatever reason, it doesn't really manifest in missed shots. At least, not generally and not routine easy ones. For me, it's usually shooting on auto-pilot and not paying attention to shot selection or precise cue ball control because I'm thinking about or distracted by something else. So although I'll be making what I'm shooting at I'll have shorter runs because I ran out of position by not playing position for anything in particular. I don't find potting is really a matter of concentration for me but more about following pre-shot routines which should be automatic.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
As we get older we have these Ticks or Twitches.
Usually happens on the shot stroke. Your mind is relaxed on the practice strokes, no pressure.

Becoming complacent? :rolleyes:

Practice time of 40 mins?
But you're in tourneys for hours. :confused:

If you want 45 minutes drill time, set the alarm for 55 mins. :thumbup:

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
If we could all concentrate like we should, everyone's game would go up 3 balls instantly.
Might be the toughest part of the game.
Some excel at it, they are usually world champions.
Efren
Shane
Early Earl, etc..
There are all kinds of prescribed legal speed(to treat forms of adhd), he can get a script for. There's a reason, adderall, pro vigil, vyvanse, etc..are taken by at least 60% of the pro pool world if I had to guess, and about 90% of the shortstops :grin-square:.
Easy to get a script, most people will never know your on it, and concentration goes through the roof.
If they ever start drug testing in USA pool tournaments, they won't fill a 16 man bracket lol.
Took some of all of it through my 20s. It beats your body down over time though, and you come to rely on it imo. Don't have it, don't wanna play. Kinda ruins the game after a while. Don't miss it either, and I play better now than I ever have.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I’ve dealt with it all of my life. Making sure I slow down. Take my time. Employ a good pre-shot routine. Etc. Mapping out steps for achievement in many areas of my life helps me maintain focus on various tasks. And often I realize I need to step away and let my brain relax for a few moments and then get back to it. When I managed a large center of personnel my favorite thing was management by walking around (which is a real thing). I’ve also learned that I’m a great multi-tasked because I enjoy that kind of stimulus. No medication needed.