2018 US International Open - Observations

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the late night crowd - John Schmidt and I spinning the tunes on Norfolk Top 40 @ 10:30 EDT.

No 10:30 streaming match.

Both Sanchez Ruiz and Van Boening wanted to play now on an open table rarher than wait until Sky/Grabe concludes. I don’t blame them.

Four players will be left after these two matches are done, which brings is to tomorrow’s final day.

Freddie <~~~ no booth time this year, but has two horses left

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Both Sanchez Ruiz and Van Boening wanted to play now on an open table rarher than wait until Sky/Grabe concludes. I don’t blame them.

Four players will be left after these two matches are done, which brings is to tomorrow’s final day.

That's just a lame out of date setup. Turn the boom camera around and start streaming the SVB v Sanchez match. :rolleyes:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

You needed to be in the booth, Corner dood.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

When the Cornerman commentates, who does the side pockets?
:scratchhead:

vginaman

Registered

don't think it's unreasonable to tell them you can start now but when the other table ends you have to move over there. It's not the end of the world.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like this final four, all of them shooting solid .900's in most of their matches. Chang, Ko, Sky and Shane (if he wins the current match with Ruiz which he is leading) make for an interesting mix, two from Taiwan and two from the USA (our best showing in years).

Michael Andros

Silver Member
When the Cornerman commentates, who does the side pockets?
:scratchhead:

They're put aside for the next match when he's taking a well-deserved break. Sideman takes over and the corners are left out of the mix. Makes for a very quiet commentary with a lot of long pauses...

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I like this final four, all of them shooting solid .900's in most of their matches. Chang, Ko, Sky and Shane (if he wins the current match with Ruiz which he is leading) make for an interesting mix, two from Taiwan and two from the USA (our best showing in years).

Hey Jay, should SVB win, do you feel this will be his 6th or his 1st?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay, should SVB win, do you feel this will be his 6th or his 1st?

Unfortunately it will not be a U.S. Open win. He will have won the inaugural International 9-Ball Open. No matter, this is certainly a world class event and a big feather in someone's cap.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Unfortunately it will not be a U.S. Open win. He will have won the inaugural International 9-Ball Open. No matter, this is certainly a world class event and a big feather in someone's cap.

Amen. Would like to see either he or Skyler. In any event this has seemingly been a very successful venture.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Delete

————————-

Guess you had to be there....

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wowser!

That has to be the toughest field Sky has ever landed in and I hope he wins it all. If Ko beats Chang and wins it all I think that will put him in as the worlds top 9 Baller with all the other titles he has won.

Chang has come close before and all of them are a credit to the game.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That has to be the toughest field Sky has ever landed in and I hope he wins it all. If Ko beats Chang and wins it all I think that will put him in as the worlds top 9 Baller with all the other titles he has won.

Chang has come close before and all of them are a credit to the game.

What other titles has baby Ko won? Big Ko has won a bunch but I didn't think his brother had that many.

Last edited:

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been a fantastic tournament !! Really fun to watch the matches.

I have zero complaints about the stream..... has been great in my opinion from all facets. I'm grateful for it and its reasonable priced too.

These final matches are going to be tremendous.:cool:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Live Facebook stream by Accu-stats and On the Wire for Shane vs Sky

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well crap guys!

All this time I am thinking it is Big Ko in the final 4. Sorry about that. To many threads for this old guy to keep straight.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
his name is Bill Gibs, he may have had a stroke, he is being looked after now.
Hoping hes ok!!!

Bill Gibbs has had 2 major strokes in the last 10 years... The only reason I have worked for Accu-Stats for a decade was that I had to drive him to Derby after the first stroke and Pat found out I had a technical skill set from consulting for a Software company for 20+ years now...

Bill had the 2nd stroke on our way home from Derby 3 years ago and it affected his speech center and his ability to swallow... He has made a bunch of progress but is still battling high blood pressure and the doctor changed his meds before this tournament and he had a bad reaction to one of them on Wednesday night after having no adverse effects prior... We were very concerned that he might have suffered a 3rd stroke but it was simply the medication and lack of sleep and he was OK after getting a full night of sleep...

Bill generally was commentating the 10:30AM matches working in the control room all day helping with switching and then doing the 10:30 PM matches which generally run late... 6 hours of sleep a night is about the max the crew gets so after a week it catches up with all of us... I would not be surprised if I wasn't slurring Wednesday night when I replaced him in the booth as my tail was dragging allllllll week long like everyone that puts in those hours mainly for the love of the game because the paycheck alone would not have any of us there or anyone lined up to sign on......

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
This not ESPN! Pat and all of the other streamers work with limited resources to bring Pool to the masses.

There's no research department at Accu-Stats with interns that spend all day researching player stats and backgrounds.

Just as there is no Money in Pool for the players, there's no Money in Pool for the broadcasters of the events.

These guys love the game and bring it to us for that reason.
There's always an apologizer!!! <<(Since you like !)

I find this thread interesting because I've been in the same spot as these coms many times. Only SkySports ever provided me any background info on players, so other than that it was up to me. My strategy was first to check their records on AZ for how they did in tournaments during the current year. I would also look for any major victories. Then I would spend maybe five minutes with each player prior to the match chatting about their most important wins, their prior record against their opponent, sponsors, cues, etc. Age and hometown is a given. Any other background I could glean in a short time was also helpful. Many players I knew pretty well already, but there were always new guys coming up.

I liked to see how they view their opponent and what strategy it might take to win. Then I would stand back and watch how they interact before the match began. I liked to see that dynamic because it told me a lot about how they felt about each other and the importance of the match. Sometimes I would see them discussing "deals" (believe me I could tell) and I knew that would have a bearing on how they played. Some guys have a well cultivated rivalry (Dennis and Shane for instance) and others may even travel together.

One other thing that I think is very important and is often left out of the commentary by some of these guys is what's at stake in this match! Is it winners or losers side? How much money is on the line? Who will the winner (and loser) play next and when? Everything that makes this match important (Mosconi Cup rankings could be very important this week!) is worth sharing with your audience imo.

I like the new resource that Fargo provides with previous match records and I would advise the current crop of coms to take advantage of it.
Well put Jay.
Thanks for what you did / and still do.