Change of Cue Feel

xiao.wend

Registered
Like many people say, the long we stay at the same cue, the better it will be.
Nah the question is, is that possible the cue we did not get the "feel" at first, change and we get the "feel" of that cue after some time spent playing with that cue ? Just want to hear your though about that ? :wink:

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
I would never get the feel if I didnt get it at first. I am quite picky at the first love.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Lets say Billy Buyacue really likes the look of a cue. He isnt a collector, he is a player but something about this cue just calls to him. He really wants. Said cue is 4500 dollars though and his now available for sale and Billy has the cash. Bill goes to Bobby Buildastick and buys his first fancy custom cue from Buildastick cues.

Billy gets to the table to hit balls with it for the first time and finds out that it feels completely different then his previous cue and not in a good way. The feel is not what he is used to. But even though it plays different, he is going to force himself to adjust, after all he just dropped a shit-ton of money on it. He puts in more time on the table then usual and and starts to get a better feel for the cue. Billy remembers his old cue hitting slightly softer, so it puts a softer top on the new cue and changes out the ferrule to a softer material as well... The cue feels a little better after the changes but still not the same.

Months go by and Billy is now playing better then he has ever played. Billy finally adjusted to the feel of his cue and the nuances of it like deflection and squirt. He now knows how the cue deflects and how much squirt he will get on the cueball.

To sum up. I think it is both. The player will adjust, consciously and subconsciously to a cue over time. The playerc an also make small changes to the cue so that it plays more to his liking as well without making a major over haul.

IMO, all the people out there who say I can't play with Buildastick cue or Mikey Makeacue has the the worst hitting cues simply havnet played with it long enough to adjust to it.

There is no good playing cue or bad playing cue (of course there are problem cues ie poor assembly etc). It is all what you are used too and what you put time into to adjust too.

John Schmidt on the Tar podcast is a perfect example of this. Said when he switch to a low defelection shaft, his game went to hell for 2 years until he was able to nail down all the adjustment and nuances that needed to be made to play well with that cue. It takes time and I think a lot of people out there looking for the Holy Grail of playing cues and constantly flipping them hoping to find the right one has already had the right one in their hand multiple times, they just haven't put forth the effort to make it that way.

It takes time. No cue will make you a pro over night.

Last edited:

xiao.wend

Registered
Lets say Billy Buyacue really likes the look of a cue. He isnt a collector, he is a player but something about this cue just calls to him. He really wants. Said cue is 4500 dollars though and his now available for sale and Billy has the cash. Bill goes to Bobby Buildastick and buys his first fancy custom cue from Buildastick cues.

Billy gets to the table to hit balls with it for the first time and finds out that it feels completely different then his previous cue and not in a good way. The feel is not what he is used to. But even though it plays different, he is going to force himself to adjust, after all he just dropped a shit-ton of money on it. He puts in more time on the table then usual and and starts to get a better feel for the cue. Billy remembers his old cue hitting slightly softer, so it puts a softer top on the new cue and changes out the ferrule to a softer material as well... The cue feels a little better after the changes but still not the same.

Months go by and Billy is now playing better then he has ever played. Billy finally adjusted to the feel of his cue and the nuances of it like deflection and squirt. He now knows how the cue deflects and how much squirt he will get on the cueball.

To sum up. I think it is both. The player will adjust, consciously and subconsciously to a cue over time. The playerc an also make small changes to the cue so that it plays more to his liking as well without making a major over haul.

IMO, all the people out there who say I can't play with Buildastick cue or Mikey Makeacue has the the worst hitting cues simply havnet played with it long enough to adjust to it.

There is no good playing cue or bad playing cue (of course there are problem cues ie poor assembly etc). It is all what you are used too and what you put time into to adjust too.

John Schmidt on the Tar podcast is a perfect example of this. Said when he switch to a low defelection shaft, his game went to hell for 2 years until he was able to nail down all the adjustment and nuances that needed to be made to play well with that cue. It takes time and I think a lot of people out there looking for the Holy Grail of playing cues and constantly flipping them hoping to find the right one has already had the right one in their hand multiple times, they just haven't put forth the effort to make it that way.

Wow, nice story indeed, what a motivated story btw.
Thanks for spend some time to write that story :smile:

So, the "feel" of cue at first just helping us fasten adjust time, am i right ?
:D

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
It takes time and I think a lot of people out there looking for the Holy Grail of playing cues and constantly flipping them hoping to find the right one has already had the right one in their hand multiple times, they just haven't put forth the effort to make it that way.

Very true!

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change of Cue Feel ?

Another variable that Players have to constantly adapt to is a new cue tip. Even though the tip is the same brand and hardness (and cut to the same thickness and curvature of the preious one), the cue WILL PLAY DIFFERENT as no two tips are exactly alike! Top players DO ADAPT over time to a new tip and different playing conditions such as felt and humidity. As they say, "it isn't the arrow, it's the Indian" !

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Wow, nice story indeed, what a motivated story btw.
Thanks for spend some time to write that story :smile:

So, the "feel" of cue at first just helping us fasten adjust time, am i right ?
:D

I think so...

Some people could notice a difference for the better right away. I think that ends up being the problem with some of the people looking for the "Holy Grail" cue (from a playing sense, not a collecting sense). They once found a cue that they played better with and after using it for a while think it could happen again with another cue. It very well might but they are going to reach a point when their actual gameplay is going to be the limiting factor and not the cue...

Plus during that whole cue buying phase there game has a likely hood of going down as well when switching.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To sum up. I think it is both.

I just went through something like this. The problem is that when the pressure of a match is screwing with your head, your mind may revert to the expected feel of the previous cue, and your game completely fall apart under pressure while everything durring practice feels just fine.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
What you guys have posted

is pretty much right, especially if the new cue has the same shaft type, ferrule, and tip as the old cue. What I have found out with my first custom cue was the cue felt 'good' to start with, but to get to 'really good' took about 3-4 weeks of playing with it. And then playing with it over time, you learn the sutble nuances the stick has, like shooting force follow shots, can you get the draw spin on shots, and little things like that. I think the player adjusts to the new cue unless there is a factor in there that they can not get past, for example, if the new cue's balance is much different than the old cues balance.

I shot with a 21 oz. cue for years and years, when I got my first custom, I went to 20.3 oz, forward balanced, and I adjusted to it, and it began to feel better to me, and I noticed on certain shots I was getting better results. I have shot with a 19 oz cue for about 8-9 years now, and I have adjusted to it, with my speed on shots down pretty good. Getting another custom made in February, and I want it to be 19 to 19.3 oz, forward balanced.

I can pick up a friend's cue or just another cue though, hit about 6 shots with it, and tell you exactly what is wrong with that cue for me, and I just mean for me, whether it is the hit, the tip, the taper, butt size, or balance.
For example, I have hit with a few Jacoby's trying them out, and they felt pretty good, but the balance was not quite right for me. It seemed like there was a little too much weight at the top part of the handle, and not distributed evenly, and forward balanced, or I would have bought one in the past.

xiao.wend

Registered
is pretty much right, especially if the new cue has the same shaft type, ferrule, and tip as the old cue. What I have found out with my first custom cue was the cue felt 'good' to start with, but to get to 'really good' took about 3-4 weeks of playing with it. And then playing with it over time, you learn the sutble nuances the stick has, like shooting force follow shots, can you get the draw spin on shots, and little things like that. I think the player adjusts to the new cue unless there is a factor in there that they can not get past, for example, if the new cue's balance is much different than the old cues balance.

I shot with a 21 oz. cue for years and years, when I got my first custom, I went to 20.3 oz, forward balanced, and I adjusted to it, and it began to feel better to me, and I noticed on certain shots I was getting better results. I have shot with a 19 oz cue for about 8-9 years now, and I have adjusted to it, with my speed on shots down pretty good. Getting another custom made in February, and I want it to be 19 to 19.3 oz, forward balanced.

I can pick up a friend's cue or just another cue though, hit about 6 shots with it, and tell you exactly what is wrong with that cue for me, and I just mean for me, whether it is the hit, the tip, the taper, butt size, or balance.
For example, I have hit with a few Jacoby's trying them out, and they felt pretty good, but the balance was not quite right for me. It seemed like there was a little too much weight at the top part of the handle, and not distributed evenly, and forward balanced, or I would have bought one in the past.

And all about personal preference of cue feel that make us feel comfortable :grin-square:

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
I used to be able to just pick my shooting cue up and make balls with it. It felt like an extension of my hand. Then I went and changed the tip and they didn't have what I usually use. So I went with a good ole Kamui Soft (I usually use Sniper Mediums) and now the cue feels like a tree trunk when I stroke the ball.

Not happy. But, I don't want to switch cues so I'm trying to get used to it. Hopefully it will work soon.

R,

Greg

xiao.wend

Registered
I used to be able to just pick my shooting cue up and make balls with it. It felt like an extension of my hand. Then I went and changed the tip and they didn't have what I usually use. So I went with a good ole Kamui Soft (I usually use Sniper Mediums) and now the cue feels like a tree trunk when I stroke the ball.

Not happy. But, I don't want to switch cues so I'm trying to get used to it. Hopefully it will work soon.

R,

Greg

Hope you could get used to it soon, Greg :wink: