Dates what are they for tinica

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Ty
Just saw your post

You're welcome.

According to the Southern Classic website, I believe it's "game on" for entry sign-up tomorrow, April 19th, at 5 p.m. CST.

I'm going to try to sign up for one event a week to spread my expenses out.

I've already reserved a room. Just trying to give a friend/high level player time to figure out if he's going to be able to make the event or not. If so, I have a roomie. If he's not going, I'm going to be looking for a roommate, that's preferrably a top level player.

I learned a lot of things last year, simply by osmosis and hangin' out asking questions. Getting a few minutes at the table and dissecting things.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does any1 Know whether there is an amatuer event like last year?

napa league is holding their nationals during that time at the convention center across the street. same place bcapl and apa and napa was held last year.

if napa does like last year they will hold tournaments that any amatuer can play in. if you are not a napa member all you have to do to enter is show id and proof of your handicap.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if you play in an event, do you still have to pay spectator fee after you are put out of the tournament?

daylate$short

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Event Players Pass

I presume it's like DCC. If you play in any event, your players tag is your event pass = free admittance to the tournament room for the ENTIRE event.

When I go to the DCC, I always enter an event, I haven't won a match in 6 tries, but they still let me enter! Plus I have 6 tags with a really bad picture of me to show for it.

I didn't go to the Southern Classic last year, but I'm considering going to the final day of the Ultimate 10 Ball, and the first weekend of the Southern Classic this year.

Charlie

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Does anyone know if you play in an event, do you still have to pay spectator fee after you are put out of the tournament?

I played in Tunica last year.

Originally, I only signed up for 9-ball. I had VERY little experience in 1P and ZERO experience with true Bank Pool.

So, when I got there, I got my Player's badge and was able to hit balls at my leisure the Thursday night before the event started. Mind you, the next day was Banks and 9-ball wasn't even going to start for another 5-6 days or so. I never encountered a problem.

I had a very strong shortstop......student/buddy of John Brumback.....his name is Jim Griffin, show me the rules and play me in my first ever career set of Banks that Thursday night to introduce me to the game. He drilled me, of course. I still kick myself for not going ahead and entering Banks, at least for the experience. But, since I had just gotten there, I was worried as to how my budget was going to stretch out over 11 days.

A couple of days later, realizing the budget was doing ok.........and after seeing how awesome the event was and wanting to support it, I ended up entering the 1P event at the minute, which cost me the extra late fee. I got crushed by an extremely strong amateur, but learned a lot about 1P. I didn't buy back. Wish I had. Again, budget factor.

Then I played in 9-ball and actually almost won my first match. I'm not a banger, but I'm not that particularly strong of a player either. I played a guy much better than I am, but with the combination of me playing over my head and him probably being a bit off that day, I made him sweat out a 7-5 victory.

I decided to buyback, as I was feeling froggy. I drew Jeremy Sossei the next day. I soon knew what it felt like when a frog is ran over by a truck. A cement truck. A fully loaded, cement truck. :D

Anyway, yea, I originally signed up for one event and as long as I had that Player's Pass around my neck, I was free to hit on any open tables and watch any matches I pleased.

You can even sit in the Accu-Stats VIP seats......as long as there's an open one. And sometimes there were. If a VIP came up with a pass, you'd have to give them your seat, but I never saw it happen to anyone, myself included.

Enter at least one event and have a great time. I've already signed up for all 3 ahead of time. :thumbup:

Btw, within 5 minutes of walking in Thursday night before the event, I met Banks HOF'er John Brumback, a great player in Jim Griffin......who in turn, then proceeded to introduce me to Banks HOF'er Truman Hogue. Then I got a free, quick lesson on Bank Pool.

An hour later, I'm hitting balls next to Brandon Shuff and remarking to him how nice the Diamond tables are. :)

Can't beat events like these.

The_Milkman

Registered
That's awesome you just went for it, it gives me confidence to try the same. Are you familiar with usppa rankings? Just wondering what your skill level is, its so relative and hard to valuate. Don't want to be TOO overmatched. Thanks

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
That's awesome you just went for it, it gives me confidence to try the same. Are you familiar with usppa rankings? Just wondering what your skill level is, its so relative and hard to valuate. Don't want to be TOO overmatched. Thanks

I play in the APPA, which is the Arkansas Pool Players' Association. It's a statewide singles league that uses 99% BCA rules.

We currently base skill levels from 3-10. Three is a complete novice and a 10 is a Master. Our current handful of top, top Masters are probably in the low level shortstop range. One of the best in our league played Joey Gray fairly tough in a tourney recently, or so I'm told by a close friend, as I wasn't there, but my friend was. But, Joey got him in the hot seat match.

I just moved up to a 6, so I'm pretty middle of the pack. My career high run in 9B is a mere 2-pack and it's honestly a "Dear diary....." moment when I'm able to execute a clean, true break and run.

I'm pretty sure that I'm in the bottom 15% of players that will give it a go in Tunica.

But, it's just pool. We're not doing brain surgery. No one is going to get hurt. No one is going to laugh at you.

And you're never "gonna know"......until you get in the box. Come on down. I really don't think you'll be sorry.

Btw, learn to love Quizno's.