Questions about buying a business..

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Hey peeps,

I am over here in Iraq saving up moolah to buy a business, and I have some questions.

Have any of you ever been in the market to buy an existing business other than a pool hall? I am thinking about buying an existing convenience store/gas station. I definitely will not trust that owner's numbers are honest, and will get a CPA to look at the business' financial paperwork.

That being said, convenience stores, from the numbers being put up on bizbuysell.com, seem to be really profitable. I am looking at a deal right now where the owner is selling for $125,000, and the business makes $150,000 per year. Normally, from what I see, businesses sell for maybe 2X gross yearly profit, but convenience stores/gas stations sell lower than this. Any particular reason why?

I also am looking at another deal where an auto repair shop is being sold due to owner moving to Tennessee, and the price is again, about 1X yearly profit.

Other than making sure a CPA reviews a seller's financial paperwork to make sure profits are in line with what they have stated them to be, what other things should I be looking out for?

My situation would be as a first time business owner, and I do not want to take a chance at starting a business from scratch and losing the whole investment. I intend to negotiate training/support as a major factor in the sale, and plan to back this up with legal paperwork. If I can find a successful business to buy, I want to make sure I can keep doing whatever made the business successful in the first place..

Any help you peeps can provide would be much appreciated..:D

Russ

krbsailing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cashflow

I would think that using a multiple of the true cashflow might me a better valuation method. A good CPA will be a useful person for you ;)

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Business

How old is the gas station? You will find that some of the older stations have problems with their in ground tanks that they have to clean up which is really expensive and can run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars or more to clean up. or the EPA will shut down the station. I would definately have soil samples taken to check the integrity of the tanks. Just my .02

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Be warned

You should definitely get some type of contract releasing you from all hazardous clean up costs with the EPA. A local church was bought out by a Walgreens up the street from my pool hall. The church parking lot used to be over an old gas station. The price tag of the property was $1.2 million dollars. The cleanup that the church ended up paying due to an agreement with Walgreens was $1,125,000.00. Do the math! A gas station is a HUGE HUGE HUGE environmental risk. If it still has the old metal tanks and not the new plastic ones I would be terrified at the financial risk you are putting yourself in. I hope you have very good lawyers before you purchase this property.

PS...the 75 year old church went bankrupt. Needless to say.