Boys Club Tournaments ?

waynewrc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know about the Boys Club Tournaments they used to have back in the 40's? I saw a picture (and can't find it now) of my father standing in front of the Empire State building with Willie Hoppe presenting him with a cue. In the background there was a poster that said Don Cormier high run 256 balls. Not sure what year it was but had to be mid 40's. Any info would be appreciated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know about the Boys Club Tournaments they used to have back in the 40's? I saw a picture (and can't find it now) of my father standing in front of the Empire State building with Willie Hoppe presenting him with a cue. In the background there was a poster that said Don Cormier high run 256 balls. Not sure what year it was but had to be mid 40's. Any info would be appreciated.
I met one of the winners of the tournament about 1977 or so. He probably won about 1975 if I had to guess. At that time the 15 balls were placed in a 3 by 5 grid at the diamond intersections on the table (1-diamond separation between balls) and the cue ball began behind the line. If you got through all 15 in any order, the balls would be spotted up again. As I recall, the guy I met had run about 200 at that but couldn't run three racks of 14.1.

This format meant that you didn't have to have head-to-head competition for a tournament and travel costs were reduced. In the 1980s something similar was done with Equal Offense.