Boys Club Tournaments ?
Old
  (#1)
waynewrc
AzB Bronze Member
waynewrc is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Boys Club Tournaments ? - 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM

Does anyone know about the Boys Club Tournaments they used to have back in the 40's? I saw a picture (and can't find it now) of my father standing in front of the Empire State building with Willie Hoppe presenting him with a cue. In the background there was a poster that said Don Cormier high run 256 balls. Not sure what year it was but had to be mid 40's. Any info would be appreciated.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-18-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewrc View Post
Does anyone know about the Boys Club Tournaments they used to have back in the 40's? I saw a picture (and can't find it now) of my father standing in front of the Empire State building with Willie Hoppe presenting him with a cue. In the background there was a poster that said Don Cormier high run 256 balls. Not sure what year it was but had to be mid 40's. Any info would be appreciated.
I met one of the winners of the tournament about 1977 or so. He probably won about 1975 if I had to guess. At that time the 15 balls were placed in a 3 by 5 grid at the diamond intersections on the table (1-diamond separation between balls) and the cue ball began behind the line. If you got through all 15 in any order, the balls would be spotted up again. As I recall, the guy I met had run about 200 at that but couldn't run three racks of 14.1.

This format meant that you didn't have to have head-to-head competition for a tournament and travel costs were reduced. In the 1980s something similar was done with Equal Offense.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: