How long can you go?

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering how long of a cue some of you guys have made or have seen made, reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a cue over 60 inches, prefer in the 62-64 range right now as I am just under 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan and I really like to extend my bridge arm when I play and its causing me to have to hold the butt of my cue about 1-1.5" from the end with just the first two fingers.

Just looking for some ideas and possible problem points I/the cue maker may run into trying to complete this cue.

James

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently built a 62" cue for a player and we were both quite happy with the way it turned out. The things to worry about are weight and deflection. It is hard to add on 4" of material without the extra weight. It would be good to find a maker who is flexible in his taper angles, shaft taper as well as what length he is capable of turning. On the cue I built I spread the length proportionately over the full length of the cue. If the cue maker pre builds his parts then he may not want to do this because every thing needs to be bit longer than standard.

Last edited:

PetreeCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once built cue extensions for a customer here. One was 4 inches (making the cue 62 inches) and the other 6 inches (making it 64). They were just pieces of wood with male joint on one end and female on the other, made about 1 thou bigger than his actual joint, and he put whichever one he wanted in between his cue and shaft.

They were built out of purpleheart wood because it is hard and light. He liked the way they played and nothing bothered him about it. He was very happy with his new telephone pole. I can't say that I would have enjoyed playing with it for any length of time, but I am 5'11'' where he is 6'6''.

The only trouble was getting the cue fairly straight with the extensions in, as it was not exactly straight to begin with. I had to reface everything about the cue, but it worked out the way he wanted it.

I think 60 inches is about the longest practical length myself because anything longer would need to be larger diameter to maintain the normal playing characteristics of a cue. If I were confronted with an extremely tall customer wanting something longer, I would probably have to advise him to live with a 60 incher.

If he's too tall for that, tell him his game is the NBA, not pool. lol

JWP

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
needs to find someone who will sell him a Russian pyramid (pool) cue; they are 64" long,,,unfortunately they weigh about 22-26 oz.,,,:eek:

hadjcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The longest I've made is 63"... one of my shooting cues is 62" long. If the weight is distributed properly and balanced well, it'll feel just like a normal 58" cue. Still it depends on the variables like wood choice, balance point etc. but nothing that can't be done.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
We have made shafts as long as 33" or 34" (they were for some guy that was a 7 footer).

With a 30" but that would be an over all 63" to 64" cue.

Too much cue in my opinion for anyone, but sometimes customers want what they want (as long as they are willing to pay the price :D ) .

birdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that Qperfect makes even longer cues than 63''. Have you ever seen someone with a 67'' or 68'' cue?
Do you know pro players who play with cues longer then 59'' except Reyes?

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once played with a Joss West cue that was made either 64 or 65 inches long. It played great. I felt no difference in playability from that of a 58 inch cue. It was way too long for me, but for the right person it would have been perfect.

Regards,

Doug