How it's done

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little Earl came through to give an expo at our new room here in my area about a month ago. We got together and talked about old times out on the road and all the old players we knew that have left us--Had a few drinks over at a freinds house afterwards and played on the Gold Crown in the basement--I couldn't get myself to look at the cue he's using with the grip like it is and all--
Next day was Sunday, so we all set forth to the CC Club I belong to for an afternoon of golf. Earl and I road together and I watched for a few min as he taped his hands up with all sorts of contraptions to get ready for the round.
I hadn't played golf with him in probably 15 years or so, but had played quiet a few rounds with him back in those days. I noticed that on his drives all his weight was over on his front foot and seemed like he pivioted from there as well--his club face was completely closed with his drive as well. I was thinking this was going to be a long day of golf--to my amazement the first ball was straight down the middle and out there about 280 yrds or so.
As the round went on, most of his drives were nice and long and right down the middle---what I thought was the absolute wrong way to do it worked OK
for Earl--then I think, well theres a whole lot thats right about that as well, and it can work for us all--the way it's done has alot to do with the way someone finds it for themselves, but that can take a life time--

Last edited: