My first time...

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first time of sealing a cue but i could not perfect it.. Is this acceptable or i have to redo it....Thanks for the reply. I was in a hurry coz i was afraid the 5 min. epoxy with dry out before i get done.

Attachments

• DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 629
  • DSC00138.jpg
    DSC00138.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 629

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
finish

I dont know but to me....If your happy with it then its fine, If your not then it needs to be done again.

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Have you sanded all the ripples out yet? The last cue I did had 4 coates of epoxy finish on it before it was done to my satisfaction. It will level out better if you use a slower set epoxy and spin it slow. Make sure whatever final finish you use has UV protection because you will be upset down the road if it doesn't.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi

What in the world made you want to use 5 min epoxy????????? No no no no !
1st you'll end up with a soft bound if your mix was not right.
2nd you don't give the epoxy time to get into the wood.
3rd who told you to use 5 min epoxy?
By the time you put it on you try to spin it I'd curing and you don't give it time to work for you.
I'm not a best in the world but I have used 5 min epoxy when I started so do your self a favor strip it ask around what propel use stay away from 5 min and keep working if you look at my 1st postings of cues I attempted were with 5min one has seen the saw the other was stripped and refinished the right way.

You said you were in a rush ! Pool cue building is never rushed! If you make 100$ cue or 20,000 +$ cue it's always the same. Never rush!

Don't give up like I said I'm no expert but from one rookie to another look at my posts look at the 1st ones I did to my last one I just posted with a python wrap. That's only 3 cues I posted on here with finish the ones in between will never be seen because they sucked. But one I got it right!

Time is never rushed in this business.

I hope this helps.

PS I would strip and do it till it's right in your mind and would you sell it knowing its right? Ask yourself that!

Don't give up finishing cues is an art!

Justin RC

Learning the hard way
I use the 20 min epoxy finish and still barely have enough time with it after smoothing and getting all of the bubbles out. Buy chris hightower's finishing cd. Even in his video, he made a small mistake and had to fix it and he has been making cues for decades. Finishing a cue is a time consuming and pain staking task and should never be rushed. I have sanded epoxy off of many cues during my initial trial and error phase. Again, the best thing you can do it buy the finishing cd from chris where he shows you how to do every type of cue finish.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
what is your application method? 5 min should be fine, I use a small credit card like piece to distribute it all over , then smooth it out , as lathe spins it flows evenly , but it takes practice :wink:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is your application method? 5 min should be fine, I use a small credit card like piece to distribute it all over , then smooth it out , as lathe spins it flows evenly , but it takes practice :wink:

I, along with most other responders to this question, agree that 5-min epoxy or other quick setting epoxies are only relegated to items that need or can be changed easily such as joint pins or ferrules. The glue is to soft and doesn't stick as well as other epoxies. When utilized as a base coat or a finish a bump against a hard object, to often will leave an oblique air pocket under the finish.

For years I used G-10 before finally deciding that it just never had a place in cue building.

Use what you wish and later learn from your experience as I have but after more than 50 years experience and heartbreaks I only use G-10 for quick, non permanent, applications.

Dick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I, along with most other responders to this question, agree that 5-min epoxy or other quick setting epoxies are only relegated to items that need or can be changed easily such as joint pins or ferrules. The glue is to soft and doesn't stick as well as other epoxies. When utilized as a base coat or a finish a bump against a hard object, to often will leave an oblique air pocket under the finish.

For years I used G-10 before finally deciding that it just never had a place in cue building.

Use what you wish and later learn from your experience as I have but after more than 50 years experience and heartbreaks I only use G-10 for quick, non permanent, applications.

Dick

G/5 epoxy you mean, Dick ?

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
I have been buying Devcon 5 min epoxy from lowes , it does say home and I think its rated at 1500 psi , it about $15 I wonder if industrial would be better