Why we choke under pressure and how to avoid it. TEDTalk

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've had a dismal pool season so far. I've been training for a big event, and the pressure has been hanging over me in a way I haven't experienced before. I've realized that my biggest problem is mental mistakes (wrong shot choices etc) during the game, but trying to make sure you don't make mistakes has a tendency to make them happen. Ok, so you try thinking positively, not thinking about possible mistakes, but rather thinking about positions that are sure not to go wrong. Then that backfires because it's plays you don't usually use, so you get unknown shots. I've lost to people that realistically should have no chance what so ever against me, and it's driving me nuts.

So my for about a couple of months now, I've started focusing on my psr (consciously) and try to let my game run on autopilot as much as possible. It does seem to be working. Overall though, I think my biggest mistake has been trying to change my game. I usually play very aggressively (in a controlled way), and it has always worked quite well. Now that I'm trying to be more careful, I'm messing up all my strong suits. I think whenever you try to change something about your game, in any way, you risk running into to difficulties such as these.

Trying to safeguard against mistakes, has for me been quite futile, and I think it's a tactical dead-end. Don't you Americans have some sort of saying about dancing with the girl you brought with you? I think that's going to be my new approach, not trying to safeguard and improve, but rather play with the skill I have.

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key concept is that you have to get out of your way. This is one of the main reasons that having a set pre shot routine is important. When you get down on the shot, then you should be on automatic as far as conscious thought. A good book on sports psychology that I just finished reading is by Dr. Jim Taylor, Train Your Mind for Athletic Success. It really covers a lot of ground concerning this topic.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking for myself. If I start out cold I go back to the basics, make sure my
fundamentals are sound and pot some balls, get some shape nothing fancy about it.
Take what the table gives. In awhile I'll feel more grounded and can use more shot
pressure and spin techniques to get perfect but I stop it short of screwing anything up
for speed control. I keep my mind on the reasonable, executable needs for the next
shot and then I feel it coming back in where those decisions are automatic and are the
right decisions to start with. I cruise in this atmosphere making sure not to do
something crazy to put an end to it. Sometimes you have to control your urges to get
perfect because you're not superman. At least not yet.

Nice. Well said.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member