Kamui tip wear

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have a customer that uses the Kamui Black Soft tip, and he asked me why they seem to wear down fast. He plays about 5-6 hours a day, usually 6 days a week and uses Master chalk. He says he only scuffs it once a week, and they seem to only last about 5-6 weeks before being too low. Anyone else get this kind of issue often? I don't have anyone else that goes thru them this fast. I am thinking of switching him to a medium, but he is afraid he won't get the same playability from it compared to a soft. I may also recommend to use the kamui chalk instead of the masters, as that chalk is very abrasive.
Thanks,
Dave

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's scuffing a lot more than once a week.

30 hours a week play, with Master’s is a lot grinding going on. I would suspect he also goes through a lot of chalk too. Could potentially be a grinder and chalks while in his seat. I’ve gone through some tips in a month due to how much I played, while the same tip could last me 3 months other times.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Joey. While not a cue maker I do install Kamui tips. I also use Kamui tips. My last tip lasted over 1 1/2 years. I do not scuff or pick. I do use a version of Kamui's Gator Grip. Just dimpling the tip every other session of play. I play about 15 hours per week and use Kamui chalk on a SS clear black tip. I have customers who impulsively shape and pick their tips. There is no faster way to wear out a tip. When I install a Kamui tip I usually take of 2 layers. So there is a good sized tip left. Most tips will mushroom a few times over their life time and I just trim off the mushroom. Usually no need to reshape. While some tips don't hold shape and mushroom after a few hours of play. Kamui's are not one of them. Cut down on scuffing, shaping and do not use tip picks. No faster way to break down a cue tip.
I just used KEG-500 Starbond Flexible Heavy Medium CA Glue (Medium Thick) for the first time, to install a Kamui clear SS tip. If it doesn't work out I'm sure you will be hearing from me on that. The reason for trying is the shelf life when refrigerated and the good recommendation in this forum.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just the usual BS from players. The "I only play a few days a month" turns out to be 10 hour sessions 3, 4 times each week and with every shot missed the tip gets a punishment from that nast tip pick tool. In my experience it's almost never the equipment that is faulty...