Mosconi Cup week 2018

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
It's like everyone keeps ignoring the obvious.

Yes, bigger pockets will allow the weaker player to make shots/run out more often.

But it will do the same for the better players.

Your theory seems to be suggesting that the stronger team will ALWAYS beat the weaker team under any conditions, because they will always outperform them theoretically. But that's not the case.

I've explained how the bigger pockets can help the weaker team win a short race. They need some luck to enter into the equation so that when mistakes or bad fortune happen to the stronger team (scratches or ending up safe) the weaker team has an easier time of running out with bigger pockets when they obtain control of the table.

For a weaker team to win under any conditions, they will need enough games to come up where the stronger team has zero opportunity to run out due to misfortune or mistakes. Tighter pockets might not allow the weaker team to capitalize in these situations and win those games. So bigger pockets will help the weaker team capitalize in situations and games where the stronger team had no chance to run out at all.

_______

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note -

While hard core enthusiasts hate easy pockets....

The majority of casual fans don't know the difference and don't care. What is more important to them is the overall experience of the matches they are watching. That means drama and excitement prevail.

That said, the bigger pockets leads to more balls being made, more run outs, more jump shot success, more balls made on breaks....

That's more excitement. The exciting, "highlight reel" type shots trump the flukes. No one remembers the fluked shots. But the highlights are remembered and replayed.

It also keeps the pace of matches moving faster. Which is better for fans and TV.

How many balls went today that shouldn't have???

Probably about a dozen.

A dozen missed balls does not lead to a dozen made shots on the following innings. Some are left tough, so there are misses or safeties played.

So a dozen missed shots are, on their own - ugly to watch, but worse - they lead to maybe as many as 2 dozen more shots, most of which are boring kicks or safeties.

So you get the ugliness of misses. You get the breakdown of runs and continuity of ball making. Then you inject in safeties and kicks which are boring. And you add probably 30+ minutes more table time to the day....that's 30+ minutes of non-exciting pool.

None of which are good for TV or for casual fans.

a yah, but, if you've bought tickets to see the MC at the arena, or are watching it on TV or online, you are not a casual fan.

You can even tell by the hoots and hollers from the live crowd, when a player miss hits a ball so bad it hits a diamond and half away from the pocket and still drops, that they know it's absurd.

People tuned into the MC don't want to see that crap. The casual fan doesn't even know the MC is happening.

Lou Figueroa

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really liked this picture posted on Fb by someone else
e846eeb374d354263f52f3fc1d3742a5.jpg

Julian

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
If I can hit the bullseye on a dart board 90% of the time the other 10% I'm in the bull and my opponent can only hit it the bullseye 70% of the time and the other 30% in the bull, then you make the bullseye so big it includes the bull I've been helped far less than my opponent. The playing field has essentially been equalized

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Shane's break cue ?

After watching Shane beat Jason 5 to 0, i have faith in the world someday being normal again. Oh! Can't blame this one on being a "rack mechanic." Lol

Was Shane using a BK rush for break ? Or is cuetec coming up with a carbon fiber break shaft ? Anyone else notice it ?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was Shane using a BK rush for break ? Or is cuetec coming up with a carbon fiber break shaft ? Anyone else notice it ?

He's supposedly breaking with an as yet un-announced Cuetec CF break cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There’s another way to look at loose pockets.
...you pay more dearly for your mistakes...
...on a very tight table, many misses can end up safe or awkward for your opponent.

And when you play safe on a loose table, the guy who can park whitey on a dime gets the $$$.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Health & Safety just advised Matchroom the players must wear fall protection harnesses for day two because of the pocket risk.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I'll say at the amateur level, I prefer to play weaker players on looser equipment. I am much less likely to sell out from the 6 ball out with big pockets. I may hang a couple every set or two on tight pockets, giving the weaker player more chances for free-ish games.
Just my .02

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Sorry if it's been said. Is there a way, other then facebook, to watch matches in the US? No ESPN3 this year? I don't have an account.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if it's been said. Is there a way, other then facebook, to watch matches in the US? No ESPN3 this year? I don't have an account.
Not really. Some on here mentioned sites like HaHa or Cricfree but i've had real bad experiences with these type sites. There's multiple versions and most are loaded with crap/spy/mal ware.

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don’t want the pockets so hard even the pro’s can’t run out but seeing them hit the rail the 2 diamonds before the pocket and still go in cheapens the game in my opinion.

A good example would be the us open in golf. As much as I love watching gold the us open is no fun to watch . They make the course so hard even the pro’s can’t get under par. Thats not enjoyable to watch at all. On the other hand I don’t want to see them shoot 40 under par because the course is so easy it cheapens the game. You need a happy medium.

On a side note I see a lot of those carbon fiber shafts being used that all the old heads said would be gone by now :rolleyes: I guess they might be hanging around the game a little while lol.

I have a revo now and let me tell you....its cheating...the accuracy and ease of play it promotes are 2nd to none

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you could create a bs facebook account in 5 minutes. the lack of effort is astounding.

You only have to share the info you want to share on Facebook i really can not understand why anyone thinks they have to give up anything private to join.

The only thing they will get is your ip address and guess what they already have that from all other interweb sites you click on lol

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where we at today guys? I don't see any up dates and don't know what fb page to go too also tried one site that wanted a card "but oh we don't charge or something like that, yeah right that's the same thing another site said.
So is there a direct fb page or do you have to sign up somewhere?