Mosconi Cup week 2018

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Doesn’t that only make sense if they tighten them for the Euros?

Nope. Because the better players will get out even on really tight pockets. The big pockets will help the struggling and weaker team get out when they should, and that will neutralized the advantage of the better team.

_______

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
The table plays the same for both teams.

That said, the theory that the big pockets are to give the USA a crutch has gone out the window -because the EU did not play well at all. If the EU is the better team, then the buckets should have served as a crutch for them when they struggled today.

That didn't happen.

So there's more to why one player or team wins than pocket size....

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
On another note -

While hard core enthusiasts hate easy pockets....

The majority of casual fans don't know the difference and don't care. What is more important to them is the overall experience of the matches they are watching. That means drama and excitement prevail.

That said, the bigger pockets leads to more balls being made, more run outs, more jump shot success, more balls made on breaks....

That's more excitement. The exciting, "highlight reel" type shots trump the flukes. No one remembers the fluked shots. But the highlights are remembered and replayed.

It also keeps the pace of matches moving faster. Which is better for fans and TV.

How many balls went today that shouldn't have???

Probably about a dozen.

A dozen missed balls does not lead to a dozen made shots on the following innings. Some are left tough, so there are misses or safeties played.

So a dozen missed shots are, on their own - ugly to watch, but worse - they lead to maybe as many as 2 dozen more shots, most of which are boring kicks or safeties.

So you get the ugliness of misses. You get the breakdown of runs and continuity of ball making. Then you inject in safeties and kicks which are boring. And you add probably 30+ minutes more table time to the day....that's 30+ minutes of non-exciting pool.

None of which are good for TV or for casual fans.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler and Shane were the stars for USA on Day 1.
On other hand, Europe basically collapsed winning only 1 of 4 matches and only 9 of 25 racks in doubles/ singles. Newbies Kaci and Kazakis underperformed unlike past debutants. So did the tentpoles Shaw and Niels. Actually Europe's star performer was Albin whom many regarded as weakest before the event.

Day 2 will likely be 3 doubles and 2 singles. The battle for Day 2 comes down to doubles.
Momentum is with USA and Europe is shaky. USA has to strike before Europe recovers and win Day 2 to have any chance of winning whole thing.

Wasn't able to watch any matches today, but I predicted that Kaci was going to have a tough time with the tight shot clock since he is normally a slow player. Did anyone watching see this as a factor to his pay?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct. And Team USA also won Day 4 in 2012, even though they lost the Cup that year.

Then Team USA lost 17 sessions in a row, finally ending that streak with a tie on Day 3 last year. But the winless-sessions streak hit 19 after last year.

Finally, the winless-sessions streak, going back to Day 4 of 2012, has ended.

Definitely a certified kick to the modern euro legacy, now let's see if team USA can deliver another. Coach Johan is going to have them mentally prepared. I really think the factor of having two warm-up matches against team Russia and England (both close USA victories) and team Europe going in cold will be the template going forward.

kor b

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching Shane beat Jason 5 to 0, i have faith in the world someday being normal again. Oh! Can't blame this one on being a "rack mechanic." Lol

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't able to watch any matches today, but I predicted that Kaci was going to have a tough time with the tight shot clock since he is normally a slow player. Did anyone watching see this as a factor to his pay?

yes, he was clearly out of his comfort zone. besides that he looked sick imo.

shaw was over-amped. billy was too, but still played good.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
—————————————-

Attachments

• F8602195-0FF5-4B60-9F70-9F572AE3D094.jpeg
    F8602195-0FF5-4B60-9F70-9F572AE3D094.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 543

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note -

While hard core enthusiasts hate easy pockets....

The majority of casual fans don't know the difference and don't care. What is more important to them is the overall experience of the matches they are watching. That means drama and excitement prevail.

That said, the bigger pockets leads to more balls being made, more run outs, more jump shot success, more balls made on breaks....

That's more excitement. The exciting, "highlight reel" type shots trump the flukes. No one remembers the fluked shots. But the highlights are remembered and replayed.

It also keeps the pace of matches moving faster. Which is better for fans and TV.

How many balls went today that shouldn't have???

Probably about a dozen.

A dozen missed balls does not lead to a dozen made shots on the following innings. Some are left tough, so there are misses or safeties played.

So a dozen missed shots are, on their own - ugly to watch, but worse - they lead to maybe as many as 2 dozen more shots, most of which are boring kicks or safeties.

So you get the ugliness of misses. You get the breakdown of runs and continuity of ball making. Then you inject in safeties and kicks which are boring. And you add probably 30+ minutes more table time to the day....that's 30+ minutes of non-exciting pool.

None of which are good for TV or for casual fans.

Great post Cheese!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Because the better players will get out even on really tight pockets. The big pockets will help the struggling and weaker team get out when they should, and that will neutralized the advantage of the better team.

_______

But the better players should still get out at a higher rate on the bigger pockets.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe at amateur level, but these top pros are essentially at the point where the eqmt should affect both equally

No.

If Player A is better than Player B. Then Player A (in the long run) should run out at a higher rate than Player B.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don’t want the pockets so hard even the pro’s can’t run out but seeing them hit the rail the 2 diamonds before the pocket and still go in cheapens the game in my opinion.

A good example would be the us open in golf. As much as I love watching gold the us open is no fun to watch . They make the course so hard even the pro’s can’t get under par. Thats not enjoyable to watch at all. On the other hand I don’t want to see them shoot 40 under par because the course is so easy it cheapens the game. You need a happy medium.

On a side note I see a lot of those carbon fiber shafts being used that all the old heads said would be gone by now :rolleyes: I guess they might be hanging around the game a little while lol.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
But the better players should still get out at a higher rate on the bigger pockets.

But with short races, allowing the weaker team to get out more often, might allow luck of the better team not having the opportunities to get out (being safe), swing the match over to the weaker team and allow them to squeak out more wins.

Most better players will always prefer tighter pockets when playing inferior players.

_______

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No.

If Player A is better than Player B. Then Player A (in the long run) should run out at a higher rate than Player B.

Thats just not true. There is a bar here in york that people play Apa on. They are a bad team when they come to our bar with average pockets. When we goto thier bar and play on thier valley that has arcade glow in the dark pockets that our even big For valley standards suddenly they our running out as consistently as I am and I’m still spotting them 40 balls. Lol It evens the playing field . We are talking pros here so as I said before I’m not really worried about that. Both teams with get some balls going in that shouldn’t . It’s a matter of making pool look silly with shit equipment.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats just not true. There is a bar here in york that people play Apa on. They are a bad team when they come to our bar with average pockets. When we goto thier bar and play on thier valley that has arcade glow in the dark pockets that our even big For valley standards suddenly they our running out as consistently as I am and I’m still spotting them 40 balls. Lol It evens the playing field . We are talking pros here so as I said before I’m not really worried about that. Both teams with get some balls going in that shouldn’t . It’s a matter of making pool look silly with shit equipment.

It's like everyone keeps ignoring the obvious.

Yes, bigger pockets will allow the weaker player to make shots/run out more often.

But it will do the same for the better players.