Break cue tip---silly question

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apologies in advance for this silly question. I'm finding it hard to tell if I need a new break tip. It's just not as easy because it doesn't mushroom due to its hardness. The only thing I know is that it doesn't hold chalk that well, but it only needs to hold it for one hit, right? Advice please?

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Sound like you just need to rough it up a little with, for example, some 80 grit sandpaper.

Alternatively, Kamui Chalk clings to any tip extremely well. I feel it's a bit too expensive for what
it does to use as regular chalk for you playing cue, but for a break or jump cue it does add a little something.

gr. Dave

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sound like you just need to rough it up a little with, for example, some 80 grit sandpaper.

Alternatively, Kamui Chalk clings to any tip extremely well. I feel it's a bit too expensive for what
it does to use as regular chalk for you playing cue, but for a break or jump cue it does add a little something.

gr. Dave
Thanks. I do own a cube of Kamui but had stopped using it because its so messy! But that is a great idea and use for it!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apologies in advance for this silly question. I'm finding it hard to tell if I need a new break tip. It's just not as easy because it doesn't mushroom due to its hardness. The only thing I know is that it doesn't hold chalk that well, but it only needs to hold it for one hit, right? Advice please?

No question on equipment is ever silly, sir.
Always good to see posts like this, for this area is my weak spot.

I always read these posts and try to glean some knowledge.

There a lot of people on here who know about equipment.
Pay attention to these answers, some are very good.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Get a Last4Ever tip tool to scuff it up a bit. http://last4ever.net/

If it's truly a break tip you probably won't have to shape it very often, but you'll have the right tool when you need it. I think they run about $20.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
If you're miscueing, scuff the tip. If not, I don't see any reason for doing that.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of tip is it? Don't think you're supposed to scuff phenolic tips. If it's a samsara or other leather tip then go for it.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a leather tip; I'm not muscueing, but it just seems so very smooth. I feel like everytime I hit it, I could miscue.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
I wouldn't scuff it.

If you are not miscueing...then there is no need to scuff it.
If you are miscueing...I still see no need to scuff it, I'd say practice hitting the cueball in the center.
In my opinion, I see very little need for chalk at all on the break, since it is a center ball hit. You want the cue tip as hard as possible, so softening it up seems counter productive. Most break and jump tips don't hold chalk - cause they're designed to be hard.

Stay focussed on a clean center ball hit and don't stress about how much chalk the tip holds.
Just my opinion.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're miscueing, scuff the tip. If not, I don't see any reason for doing that.

That is kind of what I was going to say...

Why does one need chalk on a break cue?

I chalk mine, more out of habit than necessity, I do believe.