Tightning up pockets on a Bar table

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
It's been my experience that most people that want 4" corner pockets couldn't run a rack of balls on a table with 4 1/2" corner pockets to save their life, but they're more than willing to by into the myth that 4" corner pockets will make you a better player, instead of putting in the practice to become a better player, or just accepting the fact that they'll NEVER be any better than they already are. Their is no magic in becoming a better player that i know of that'll replace practicing making balls, and 4" corner pockets hurts that practice ability, i don't care what anyone says, there's a price to pay for having 4" pockets, and it's in the overal game of the player.

Glen,

I assure you I'm plenty capable of running racks on 4 1/2" pockets. My reasoning behind a Valley with 4" pockets was preparation for Super Billiards Expo this year. The room I play out of does not have small Diamonds. Five year old Valley's are all I have to work with. Not coin op's.

Was watching the World Black Ball Championships (thanks Snuuker). The table looked like a Valley with rounded pocket corners rather than the sharp points I'm accustomed to. Rather than a wood spacer as I've done, they have what I assumed to be Aluminum spacers all around the table. Reason being the pool room reverts back to regular play and they wanted to make things a bit tougher for the best players in the world.

Never had a ball hang up. Never had a ball jump out of a pocket. While I'm playing on it that is. To answer Gideon's question, a ball can not get that far into the pocket. Never had a problem. Look at the photo of the table with Ridgeback rails. Only difference is mine are two piece instead of one.

Incidentally Glen, I won the Super Senior event at SBE. Thanks to my preparation.

Lyn

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If I was the guy that had the pool stick in my hand the guy that lifted the pool table up would still be laying there;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen,

I assure you I'm plenty capable of running racks on 4 1/2" pockets. My reasoning behind a Valley with 4" pockets was preparation for Super Billiards Expo this year. The room I play out of does not have small Diamonds. Five year old Valley's are all I have to work with. Not coin op's.

Was watching the World Black Ball Championships (thanks Snuuker). The table looked like a Valley with rounded pocket corners rather than the sharp points I'm accustomed to. Rather than a wood spacer as I've done, they have what I assumed to be Aluminum spacers all around the table. Reason being the pool room reverts back to regular play and they wanted to make things a bit tougher for the best players in the world.

Never had a ball hang up. Never had a ball jump out of a pocket. While I'm playing on it that is. To answer Gideon's question, a ball can not get that far into the pocket. Never had a problem. Look at the photo of the table with Ridgeback rails. Only difference is mine are two piece instead of one.

Incidentally Glen, I won the Super Senior event at SBE. Thanks to my preparation.

Lyn

I had heard you won that event and also heard the complaints afterwards too, the other players could have sworn the super senior citizens even was being played in wheelchairs only....and that YOU had an unfair advantage because you were still standing upright....so Diamond said next year they'll cut 12" off the legs and lower the tables down so the wheelchair players have more of a chance against you:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1: tight pockets don't make you a player though, practice does however:thumbup:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a pic of mine.

pocket size pic.jpg

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for sharing info on the subject. KC the table is an older bar style Brunswick, Ridge Backs would be awesome, but just can't afford them, plus I would really like the satisfaction of doing this myself.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks everyone for sharing info on the subject. KC the table is an older bar style Brunswick, Ridge Backs would be awesome, but just can't afford them, plus I would really like the satisfaction of doing this myself.

Brunswick made 3 attempts to build coin operated pool tables, last being the Gold Crown 2000 in the early 80's.