Fargo Ratings: under the hood

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Page for pres 2020. Seriously, if we had a fargorate for pool contributors you'd be 800+. (Now keep it going before fargorate ages a bit more and that rating plummets, what have you done for us lately? :) )

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the detail. Thanks for sharing. I find myself often evangelizing the system because I believe in the math behind it. This helps me talk from a more informed perspective and validated many of my assumptions.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,
Thank you for the detailed explanations and math. I think FargoRate is a very sound system.
I worked in an industry that evaluated candidate lubricant performance in various types of complicated engine-dyno laboratory tests. At set intervals, the performance of blindly-assigned reference oils was also tested, so that the test apparatus and laboratory could be considered "calibrated". Our statistical LTMS system also utilized transformed numbers to normalize the data, and the selection/decision of appropriate "k" values - like you are doing for FargoRate.

JC

Coos Cues
We are just finishing up a league session of 8 ball.

If you look at Shaun and I at the top of the standings we are virtually dead even. Since we play on the same team we played those 125 games against exactly the same opponents and on the same nights eliminating a ton of potential variables.

What's cool is that those 125 league games show us playing about the same and our fargo ratings also are the same even though we both have a lot of robustness outside of our league play against many different opponents. Shaun is at 663 and I am 1142 robustness in the system.

I consider this pretty strong evidence that this system works as designed. And the longer it goes on the better it's going to be.

BTW Terry Mason there in 3rd place is actually a 525, the rating there is in error. Long story.

Document659 [800x600].jpg

JC