Jay Flowers, appraisal

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Jay Flowers 2X4 with my name on one side I bought in early 70's. It is the real deal with the J.EF Q made by Nora Van Horn in gold script under the handle. The case is a stay at home item, and not for sale. But I would love to know the fair market value. Thank for your help, Skip

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have a Jay Flowers 2X4 with my name on one side I bought in early 70's. It is the real deal with the J.EF Q made by Nora Van Horn in gold script under the handle. The case is a stay at home item, and not for sale. But I would love to know the fair market value. Thank for your help, Skip

You cannot have purchased it in the early 70s. Jay and Nora did not start making cases until the early 80's.

You can read more about them here: http://www.palmercollector.com/JayFlowers.html

I don't think that ones with names on them have typically sold well on here unless they have pro's names on them. I estimate the value to be between $300-$500 based on other J.EF "Flowers" cases that have been offered on AZB over the years.

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don' want to start a war. But I was running a small business from my home in 1975. An I have a fond memory that my farther in law payed for the case in my absence. It came UPS and I believe it was $165.00. If I can recall I believe I ordered it through Billiard News (paper). But one thing I am sure of is I got the case in 75. Skip

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Don' want to start a war. But I was running a small business from my home in 1975. An I have a fond memory that my farther in law payed for the case in my absence. It came UPS and I believe it was $165.00. If I can recall I believe I ordered it through Billiard News (paper). But one thing I am sure of is I got the case in 75. Skip

No war. If you have a J.EF Case that predates the information that Chris Tate got from Jay Flowers himself and Nora Van Horn's son and grandson then it certainly might be worth a lot.

I can't recall seeing any advertisements for J.EF Q Cases prior to 1980 in any Billiard Publications.

Nora Van Horn quit making cases in 1994 after making them for 14 years. So the current info puts her beginning to make them around 1980. Most examples we are aware of have her NVH maker's mark stamped into them. She also inscribed the J.EF Q Case logo above her maker's mark.

A lot of case makers put newspaper in their cases to stuff the pockets for delivery. Do you happen to have that in yours? My Justis has the paper from 2006 in it which coincides with the year signed by Jack on the bottom.

The earliest ad for J.EF Q Cases cases that I can find on my computer is from a 1985 Accu-Stats magazine, Volume 1 #8.

I would think that there would be more ads for a company in business since 1975. Perhaps someone has older publications and can help us to determine when these cases began to be advertised?

Flowers-Ad-Accustats-V1_N08.png

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I don't think that ones with names on them have typically sold well on here unless they have pro's names on them.

Oh bummer! What about one with my name on it? LOL! :duck: Kidding, of course, no intention of selling… :smilewinkgrin:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member

PHOTOS!!!!!! please

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I would also love to see some photo's of the case. This is what I love about this forum and the only reason I continue to read and post here, AZ Billiards is simply the best source of information for Billiards and Pool related history on the planet.

I doubt there is a single day that I turn the computer on and log into this site that I don't learn something new.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the information John and Skip if your memory serves you correct and you can prove it that would also be great, either way you have a very collectible case that I am certain has a great deal of sentimental value.

Keep the information flowing boy's!!!