Predator 314-3 Shaft Warp

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
I've been playing with a 314-3 for about 6 months now, and recently noticed visible warp, both by looking down the shaft, and rolling it on my table. The shaft definitely has a visible wobble, and I can slide a quarter through the gap at its high point (quarter thickness is 1.75mm).

This is my first predator shaft, so I'm not sure if this is "normal," or within tolerances/expectations. I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks her can provide some insight.

Last edited:

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you bought the shaft new from an authorized dealer then I will just refer to Predator’s site re: warranty claims.

If you did not, you’ll have to take it as a loss (assuming it can’t be fixed) because their warranty is only applicable to the original purchaser. I’ve had many Predator shafts but I’ve yet to encounter a problem with them.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From predator warranty page:

'Please note that this warranty does not cover problems resulting from wood warping or abuse.'

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My next shaft will be OB.....

From OB website....

"Owen Bunnell Inc. (OB) warrants, to the original retail purchaser, all OB products to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product when purchased from an authorized OB Dealer. Please note that warpage is not covered under our warranty if you have an 'original' OB Shaft. However, warpage IS covered under our warranty if you have an OB Plus Shaft."

At least OB got it right the second time.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
If you bought the shaft new from an authorized dealer then I will just refer to Predator’s site re: warranty claims.

If you did not, you’ll have to take it as a loss (assuming it can’t be fixed) because their warranty is only applicable to the original purchaser. I’ve had many Predator shafts but I’ve yet to encounter a problem with them.

I purchased this brand new from a retailer. However, as a poster already noted, their warranty does not cover any warping (per website). I didn't think these spliced carbon fiber core shafts would be prone to warp. At $300+ I would have expected at least a 1 year coverage on the shaft, or something like that.

A bit disappointed.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No CF core...................

I purchased this brand new from a retailer. However, as a poster already noted, their warranty does not cover any warping (per website). I didn't think these spliced carbon fiber core shafts would be prone to warp. At $300+ I would have expected at least a 1 year coverage on the shaft, or something like that.

A bit disappointed.
314-3 doesn't have a CF core. Did the seller tell you that? Mezz does this but not Pred. I'd still contact Predator. NO WAY that thing should have warped in 6mos.

Last edited:

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
314-3 doesn't have a CF core. Did the seller tell you that? Mezz does this but not Pred. I'd still contact Predator. NO WAY that thing should have warped in 6mos.

The seller didn't tell me that. I just accidentally blended the description of a few LD shafts I found during my research.

I contacted the seller to get their advise, and I guess there is no harm in contacting Predator, sending them a video of it, and seeing what happens.

Sort of related, if I need to purchase a replacement shaft, do I have to send the butt in so they can match a shaft to the diameter at the joint, or is that all standard? Mostly curious if I decided to purchase a different brand of shaft, say OB, and use it with my Predator butt?

Thanks all for your input!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Talk to your vendor. You never know what will come out of it.
Was the cue in the car trunk?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The seller didn't tell me that. I just accidentally blended the description of a few LD shafts I found during my research.

I contacted the seller to get their advise, and I guess there is no harm in contacting Predator, sending them a video of it, and seeing what happens.

Sort of related, if I need to purchase a replacement shaft, do I have to send the butt in so they can match a shaft to the diameter at the joint, or is that all standard? Mostly curious if I decided to purchase a different brand of shaft, say OB, and use it with my Predator butt?

Thanks all for your input!
OB makes shafts in almost all joint styles. You can also buy an unfinished and have joint matched to your cue. You've probably got either a Uniloc qr or a Radial.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I sent Predator my warped 314 shaft hoping for a warrantee claim. They agreed with me that it was warped. Their statement was the shaft was acceptably warped! In their opinion the warp did not affect playability so they sent it back to me. I sold it to a guy in person and never did business with Predator again.

I now play with the shafts supplied on my Kikel and I have a beater butt that I have a Jacoby Edge Hybrid shaft on. The Jacoby has stayed straight since purchase..

Not mad a Predator, I understand their reasoning. I just like shafts that stay reasonably straight!

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
Talk to your vendor. You never know what will come out of it.
Was the cue in the car trunk?

I didn't leave it in my car. When I have league immediately after work, I bring the cue to my desk just to ensure it isn't sitting out there for hours. I live in MN, so its pretty typical to be below zero right now.

There are times when it has spent 30 minutes or so in my car while I have had to run an errand, but not much I can do about that. I've got a couple friends with maple shafts that have held up better for several years in the MN cold.

I store it standing straight up when not in transit. humidity in my house gets a little lower during this cold time of year, but ranges in the high 30s to high 40s. None of my other "cheap" shafts have suffered any ill effects.

I'm thinking bad luck at this point.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a used Predator cue. The seller represented as "rolls perfectly straight but I'll say there's slight roll". Well of course the tip lifts off the table so buyer beware.

Anyway just curious if anyone has had success in straightening a 314-2 out and if so what method. I currently have it hanging from a rafter attached to the cue.

Any idea's?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't leave it in my car. When I have league immediately after work, I bring the cue to my desk just to ensure it isn't sitting out there for hours. I live in MN, so its pretty typical to be below zero right now.

There are times when it has spent 30 minutes or so in my car while I have had to run an errand, but not much I can do about that. I've got a couple friends with maple shafts that have held up better for several years in the MN cold.

I store it standing straight up when not in transit. humidity in my house gets a little lower during this cold time of year, but ranges in the high 30s to high 40s. None of my other "cheap" shafts have suffered any ill effects.

I'm thinking bad luck at this point.
Do call your vendor first and ask/request a new replacement. I honestly never had a 314 warp.
I have sanded a few (voided warranty) and do my own tip replacement.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
Jeez!! After 6mos? That's a pretty good hop you got there.

Well, technically it is longer than 6 months. As I was looking to contact the retailer, I found my invoice and see I purchased it in May '17. Started using it in June.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, technically it is longer than 6 months. As I was looking to contact the retailer, I found my invoice and see I purchased it in May '17. Started using it in June.
Its still less than a year. How was it stored? In a case, poly bag? Vertical or horiz? Pred. will ask you all this but it still shouldn't warp. Never owned one and never will.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
Its still less than a year. How was it stored? In a case, poly bag? Vertical or horiz? Pred. will ask you all this but it still shouldn't warp. Never owned one and never will.

Stored standing straight up on a wall rack when not in transit for league. When in transit is in a 2 x 2 hard case. I don't leave it in my car overnight, etc.

I think I've done everything right, short of hanging it from the tip in a walk in humidor at 70 deg and 45% humidity. I know some guys who treat their equipment pretty harsh, but don't have any warp.

I have sent the retailer a message and a link to the video. I'll see what they say, and then go from there. It is still playable, just disappointing. Probably keep me away from future Predator products.