Would you...

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I am going to change the question. Would you use a pool drill practice app? It would keep track of your progress and have a few other bells and whistles thrown in. To build it I will turn it loose to the group here to come up with the drills and we can vote on the ones we want. I am also open to suggestions on the bells and whistles.

Worth my time developing?

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Absolutely. I was just thinking about this the other day at the pool room. You could have different sections for simple shot practice, rotation practice, one pocket, 14.1 and so one.

CarlB

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
one more vote for yes (assuming the price was reasonable...:))

Break and One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a beginner, yes definitely. Not everyone has a computer near a pool table but I always have my phone with me. I could see it being very useful.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about free... I could get enough from advertising to keep the site going...

So start private messaging drills to me and I will put them up for voting.

This will be a work in progress so the bells and whistles will be add-ons and upgrades. Some off the top of my head:
-Score keeper
-shot recorder (to practice missed shots later)
-historic game database (to keep track of personal league or tourney wins and losses)
-warm-up routines

Any others? (and don't even mention the break app... I am still sore over that oneThunk Crack test...)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Johnny "V",

A progress report on the drills would be nice. In other words, a way to refer to your competency on previous drills. "You have just made your highest competency with this drill". "You suck and need a lot more work."

Having dates on the drill competency would be nice.

If this sounds outlandish, I can easily understand.

Free is nice. I would definitely try it out. Let me know if you go forward with this project, as I have some drills you might want to include.

JoeyA

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
What about keeping up with how many balls you make off of the break?
Keeping up with if you get shape on the lowest numbered ball of the 9 ball or 10 ball break?
Keeping track of your break and runs on any game and how many racks you can string together.

Those are just a few off of the top of my head.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about keeping up with how many balls you make off of the break?
Keeping up with if you get shape on the lowest numbered ball of the 9 ball or 10 ball break?
Keeping track of your break and runs on any game and how many racks you can string together.

Those are just a few off of the top of my head.
+1.....................

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one more vote for yes (assuming the price was reasonable...:))

The price would invariably be reasonable.
Sell it for dirt cheap so that those that play pool will try it out.

Apps are usually very cheap--counting on number of sales to see the bottom-line through.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Ok I am going to change the question. Would you use a pool drill practice app? It would keep track of your progress and have a few other bells and whistles thrown in. To build it I will turn it loose to the group here to come up with the drills and we can vote on the ones we want. I am also open to suggestions on the bells and whistles.

Worth my time developing?

Absolutley. Since i needed this 10 years ago, is it safe to assume you can have this ready for us by Monday??

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to track you progress.....and make it fun at the same time.........try playing Target Pool by Kim Davenport. If and when you can consistently score points on the higher course levels, it confirms and validates your improvement.......even Kim struggled with the higher level courses.........and it challenges your skills in a fun, entertaining way too.

Matt B.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're looking for a supported Android 14.1 scoring app check out the 14.1 Scorer. It's free, you can find a link to it on the Downloads page of www.cue-md.com,

I would use this and I might suggest that you not create anything new. An app designed around an existing drills program could save you from reinventing the wheel while making progress tracking easier and eliminating the need to tote a book or printouts to the hall. You could collaborate with Billiards University, e.g., to develop an app around their materials.

Btw, off topic but what I'd really like is for someone to continue development of the 14.1 scoring app I use that was abandoned by it's developer after release. Fortune 14-1 (Android) is a great app that could use additional features.