A question for those interested in learning.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering... is there a market for regular group classes?

Would you pay $100 a month for a group class taught by your local pro twice a week?

So, for example, $100 a month you could participate In a group class every Tues and Thurs. The class would be 1 1/2 hr long and organized in the following manner.

15 min.warm up drills
45 min daily lesson with practice drilling the lesson
30 min of free play or they could continue practicing their lesson. (Throughout the class the instructor would be there to lead the class, teach the lesson & for corrections of students faults)

Private lessons from the pro would also be available for the students who want to improve even faster.

Is this something you would be interested in?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Yes.

We have regular lessons every week.

randyg

Would you pay $100 a month for a group class taught by your local pro twice a week?

So, for example, $100 a month you could participate In a group class every Tues and Thurs. The class would be 1 1/2 hr long and organized in the following manner.

15 min.warm up drills
30 min of free play or they could continue practicing their lesson. (Throughout the class the instructor would be there to lead the class, teach the lesson & for corrections of students faults)

Private lessons from the pro would also be available for the students who want to improve even faster.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool Randy,

I had never seen or heard of this but thought it would be a good idea. Does it bring in good attendance? Do you have kids classes? Do the students attend regularly or is yours set up with a monthly membership like what I was thinking?

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more questions for you Randy.

Have you found any creative/ inexpensive ways to advertise in order to bring in non regulars or do you pretty much rely on word of mouth and Internet presense?

Thanks, Satori

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Cool Randy,

I had never seen or heard of this but thought it would be a good idea. Does it bring in good attendance? Do you have kids classes? Do the students attend regularly or is yours set up with a monthly membership like what I was thinking?

Good attendance but no mothly fees.

randyg

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
One more questions for you Randy.

Have you found any creative/ inexpensive ways to advertise in order to bring in non regulars or do you pretty much rely on word of mouth and Internet presense?

Thanks, Satori

Yes, through the Bowling Centers.

randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

15 min.warm up drills

That sounds like it would be good for a continuing ed or adult ed course. If you plan a course curriculum you could pitch it to a local university. If you could tie it into something educational they may even offer a college credit for it.

As far as offering it to pool room patrons, you probably won't get enough people to pay $100 per month, even if it is well worth it. It's better if you could team up with a learning institution that is in the business of offering courses where patrons are there for that specific reason.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I don't know about 100 a month for group lessons because 1. I'm not sure if I would need lessons that often and 2. I'd rather spend my money on one on one instruction. If there was a similar model in this area where I live to the PGA teaching professional model I would be all over it. For example when I've taken golf lessons I was able to start by buying a series of 5 that were between 45 minutes and an hour in length and then I would buy them a la carte when I felt I needed a tune up. My brain would have trouble absorbing more than that at one time. Also, it was easier on my wallet. Unfortunately billiard instructors (at least in this area) are fewer and farther between.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds like it would be good for a continuing ed or adult ed course. If you plan a course curriculum you could pitch it to a local university. If you could tie it into something educational they may even offer a college credit for it.

As far as offering it to pool room patrons, you probably won't get enough people to pay $100 per month, even if it is well worth it. It's better if you could team up with a learning institution that is in the business of offering courses where patrons are there for that specific reason.

Thank you Ms. Crimi. That sounds like an excellent idea but my idea was generated in part to create a win win scenario for the instructor and the local pool room.

The instructor gets monthly income + access to more private lessons
The pool room gets to put warm bodies in their establishment on slow nights + new regulars who will attend more to get the needed practice + more enthusiastic customers who are already regulars.

I think there is a market for a school like this. People want to learn new fun things. My wife recently signed up to a belly dancing school which has a similar schedule. She has no other interest in belly dancing other than it being fun. At first thought I wonder how in the world a belly dancing school could exist with the need for rent and all the other costs of running a business but the owner is doing quite well, bringing in new students all the time I hear. In my mind I figure there are a lot of people out there who would love to learn pool if they were told that there is a weekly school they could participate in. I don't know, I'm just thinking here.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Ms. Crimi. That sounds like an excellent idea but my idea was generated in part to create a win win scenario for the instructor and the local pool room.

The instructor gets monthly income + access to more private lessons
The pool room gets to put warm bodies in their establishment on slow nights + new regulars who will attend more to get the needed practice + more enthusiastic customers who are already regulars.

I think there is a market for a school like this. People want to learn new fun things. My wife recently signed up to a belly dancing school which has a similar schedule. She has no other interest in belly dancing other than it being fun. At first thought I wonder how in the world a belly dancing school could exist with the need for rent and all the other costs of running a business but the owner is doing quite well, bringing in new students all the time I hear. In my mind I figure there are a lot of people out there who would love to learn pool if they were told that there is a weekly school they could participate in. I don't know, I'm just thinking here.

Well, even if you team up with a learning institution, you still need a venue. That's where the pool rooms come into play. They will get table time plus new clients who will most likely come back to practice.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, even if you team up with a learning institution, you still need a venue. That's where the pool rooms come into play. They will get table time plus new clients who will most likely come back to practice.

Thank you Fran. You are a great asset to this community.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about 100 a month for group lessons because 1. I'm not sure if I would need lessons that often and 2. I'd rather spend my money on one on one instruction. If there was a similar model in this area where I live to the PGA teaching professional model I would be all over it. For example when I've taken golf lessons I was able to start by buying a series of 5 that were between 45 minutes and an hour in length and then I would buy them a la carte when I felt I needed a tune up. My brain would have trouble absorbing more than that at one time. Also, it was easier on my wallet. Unfortunately billiard instructors (at least in this area) are fewer and farther between.

My idea is not exactly the same thing as taking a private lesson twice a week. It is more like having a pro lead a group class where the students work on their fundamentals, learn new shots and strategies, & practice while the coach walks around and makes suggestions. Kind of like a martial arts class.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Fran. You are a great asset to this community.

Thanks! I just remembered when I took a golf course in college. Even though it was a college course, it took place off campus at a driving range. They scheduled it at 4PM, once per week, which students could schedule as their last class of the day so they didn't have to rush back for more classes. It worked out very well.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I just remembered when I took a golf course in college. Even though it was a college course, it took place off campus at a driving range. They scheduled it at 4PM, once per week, which students could schedule as their last class of the day so they didn't have to rush back for more classes. It worked out very well.

This could be done through the Continuing Education Dept. of most Universities. They would want to see a resume, course syllabus and leads on making arrangements with a local room if needed. Most Continuing Ed. Depts. are open to this type of thing.